Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

And still nowt here! Hope you're all enjoying it... And yes, I am mad jealous!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Confused. Meto show few showers dying out to leave a cold night with risk of ice.

Met ie say very cold with wintry showers increasing and becoming more widespread.!

There is supposed to be a front (or to be more accurate a showery trough) moving down from the north tonight but i have my doubts if it will lead to much anyway,well certainly not for me.

Edited by sundog

Posted

There is supposed to be a front (or to be more accurate a showery trough) moving down from the north tonight but i have my doubts if it will lead to much anyway,well certainly not for me.

Same as me dude. The snowless east coast since 2010! :-(

Still, I love this cold seasonal weather… Any excuse for a hot whiskey… Just think how big an excuse I'd have if it snowed!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A few pics from Cape Clear during the week. These were taken on Wednesday, between 1 and 3pm.

2yXL3gL.jpg?2 zriawJm.jpg?1

ZDvmMkB.jpg?1 RmdMm0N.jpg?1

The laptop is on it's last legs and can't handle uploading videos (crashed several times just with a few photos!) so the videos could be a few more days away.

• Like 7

Posted

Sorry MS can you explain what's changed in the charts to increase the chances of snow from the sliders, thought there was still a high risk of rain for lower lying areas? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

From reading the models thread it appears the small warm sector that preceded the front has all but vanished and we'll all be under significant cold conditions when the front passes through.

This link shows the charts for 7pm Monday evening:

http://meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/comp_panel.php?mode=1&ech=48&size=0

Edited by Sperrin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!

Light snow shower left a dusting!

On the radar it looks like the showers are coming from a more northerly direction but seem less intense. Is that trough still to move down tonight?

Edited by jamesd

Posted

v frosty out tonight. remaining snow froze solid now. actually snowed for about a minute earlier which left a few flakes. whats the chances of more showers tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

A mostly clear day here today though it did cloud up a bit during the evening. Max temp 3.4c.

Currently clear and frosty temp 0.0c.

I think that trough is to come down later in the night.

Posted

After a greyish evening, the skies are beautifully clear and crisp. Still with the odd wisp in the wind and now 0.4 after a high of 4.4

Hopefully this trough can give us on this side a little wintery fare in the morning...

• Like 1

Posted

I think this is the trough coming down the west cost of Scotland. It could bring some snow to eastern counties and has showers behind it!post-12611-0-69295400-1421538899_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Trough is moving from north Scotland down the UK and Ireland. According to BBC forecast it will pass through around 4-5am.

Outside at the minute really reminding me of 2010. Lots of snow and bonechillingly cold. Minus 11 forecast for rural NI tomorrow night and looks like plenty of snow to come on Monday evening.

• Like 3

Posted

A muffled celebratory YAY this morning. A light dusting, but easily the most wintery my neighbourhood has looked since 2010. Nothing else showing on the radar, so I guess it will all be thawed by noon or earlier.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather to match Seasons....

I have noticed that the Met.ie had been showing return to normal from Thursday onwards since Friday evening actually but today they are suggesting things may last a little longer. Obviously when dealing with the longer term it's about broad strokes and trends and this slight change in opinion could be just the start of a move to the cold lasting longer. More positive activity in the strat I believe that 'could' give us more opportunities down the line into Feb. Loving the light this morning with some dark cloud bordering deep blue sky. My advice is get outside and enjoy it!

• Like 4

Posted

lovely sunny morn here. hard frost last nite which isnt meltin in the shade. will prob be a fair thaw today i suspect. will be v cold tonight if it stays clear.

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry MS can you explain what's changed in the charts to increase the chances of snow from the sliders, thought there was still a high risk of rain for lower lying areas? 

Basically, the models have been over progressive in bringing in the Atlantic Westerlies.

Normally we expect Icelandic lows to move swiftly from West to East with the Jet Stream giving us mild South Westerlies. What we have now, is a block to the East over Russia/Scandi stopping that, instead the Jet energy is deflected South East from Iceland over GB and Ireland.

The low pressure systems follow the jet and are disrupted and "slide" under the high pressure to North East.

The up shot is we have an air mass battleground situation between the milder wetter Atlantic air and the dryer continental air, where the two meet can result in good snow opportunities.

We now have three slider opportunities this week, one on Monday night, then Tuesday night and then Friday night. It is marginal in Ireland to give completely accurate forecasts on who will get rain, sleet or snow, but it will favour those with altitude and living the furthest North and East.

• Like 5

Posted

Thanks Mountain that helps explain it in lay-mans language, here's hoping!

Posted

The ECM high res Theta E shows the warm seclusion from Wednesday's storm currently crossing us from the north, with cold following on behind in place for tomorrows precip.

ecm0125_millikort_msl_eqpt850_t850_20150

ecm0125_millikort_msl_eqpt850_t850_20150

By Wednesday the standard run has that cold northwesterly advecting sub-522 dm thicknesses again.

ecm05_nhem_gh500_gh500-1000_2015011800_0

After that it has a zonal setup in a restrengthening polar vortex.

ecm05_nhem_gh500_gh500-1000_2015011800_2

Edited by Su Campu
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

I seem to live in another country .. the Kingdom of Minterburn is 99%+ green at the moment .. little bits of white in the shade . Going into Aughnacloy all green .. head out the Dungannon rd and snow is everywhere .. 99%+ white .

It has rained the last 2 nights and frost has been negligible . Can I believe -11'C tonight ?