Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere Autumn/Winter 2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Impressive gains over the last 24 hours, Sweden and Finland getting in on the act as well!

Yesterday v today

prvsnow_asiaeurope.gifcursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Posted

In terms of stratospheric feedback, the early gains are certainly playing in to the realms of Fred's (and potentially, from the sounds of things, Roger's) suggested early winter bite...

SK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Some nice gains but I can't help but think a touch too soon!

Next week will be very interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Whoops, sorry LS you are quite right.

I was looking at the big red blob at the end of Siberia, and assumed it was Alaska after all the press reports and bloggs on here about it being very warm at the moment.

I hadn't seen any reports that it had cooled back to normal with average amounts of snow around.

My only excuse was I didn't have my reading glasses on at the time and I was sitting in the lovely sunshine we are experiencing today.

Sorry for the blooper

MIA

Chill :cold:  :wink:  no worries MIA the big red Siberian blob will get smaller in the next few days, Yes Alaska could do better but its early days and Canada does seem to be more than compensation.

Talking of compo perhaps some in these 2010 charts

Alaska - post-15601-0-95296200-1412987169_thumb.p

Canada +

post-15601-0-19104100-1412987194_thumb.p

Russia -post-15601-0-86807300-1412987206_thumb.p 

post-15601-0-48331400-1412987222_thumb.p ...this could lead to something!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

How much of these gains are below 60N? That;s whats important in Eurasia.

Posted

I need to stop making these comparisons but

ims2010283_asiaeurope.gif

2014 -

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Well ahead on snow.

Worried about that as that's what we saw this point last year, need it to have more sticking power!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Another day of big gains. Russia's rapidly 'filling in'!

Yesterday vs today

prvsnow_asiaeurope.gif cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Posted

The Ice chart is  looking promising post-15601-0-95628300-1413071862_thumb.p No sign of the red line joining the its blue,green and orange friends any time soon.

Posted

I need to stop making these comparisons but

ims2010283_asiaeurope.gif

2014 -

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Well ahead on snow.

Worried about that as that's what we saw this point last year, need it to have more sticking power!

Here is last year to compare all ready for the crazy Atlantic!  

post-15601-0-68217000-1413072417_thumb.g

Posted

Looking at the current week 2 modelling indicates a big push west of snow cover in Russia and Scandinavia as a wedge of very cold air drops and travels west to east. This due to an arctic high displacing chunks of the vortex further south than usual for the time of year. remembering that it's the increase of cover that Cohen talks about through October and I'd say we look to be in a better place than last year in this regard. we began October with too much cover in 2013.

• Like 3

Posted

Looking at the current week 2 modelling indicates a big push west of snow cover in Russia and Scandinavia as a wedge of very cold air drops and travels west to east. This due to an arctic high displacing chunks of the vortex further south than usual for the time of year. remembering that it's the increase of cover that Cohen talks about through October and I'd say we look to be in a better place than last year in this regard. we began October with too much cover in 2013.

Specifically it's the increase south of 60N. One can see in the post above that we are doing much better than 2013 with a lot of snow south. 

• Like 2

Posted

I think the pivotal period is the latter part of October roughly from around the 20th to the end of the month, this is when you want to see rapid snow movement extension westwards and southwards. I recall 2010 and 2012 especially saw rapid such movements around the 20th. Last year everything seemed to stop as we entered the latter part of the month.

Encouraging signs we will see such movement as we enter the pivotal period, but will the momentum hold through the whole of the latter part of the month..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I think the pivotal period is the latter part of October roughly from around the 20th to the end of the month, this is when you want to see rapid snow movement extension westwards and southwards. I recall 2010 and 2012 especially saw rapid such movements around the 20th. Last year everything seemed to stop as we entered the latter part of the month.

Encouraging signs we will see such movement as we enter the pivotal period, but will the momentum hold through the whole of the latter part of the month..

Some people say the second week of October onwards is the important phase.

Posted

I thought it was the 2nd half of October not specifically the last 3rd? Either way, we are coming close to that period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Short term it looks OK for further snow over there with the modelling of the Russian trough digging south.

I have to say though i am less optimistic beyond next week going by the anomaly charts.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/naefs/run/naefsnh-0-0-240.png?0

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014101200/EDH101-240.GIF

Signs of a badly orientated euro block and +ve 850,s could halt advancement south and west.

Let,s hope for some changes to that outlook before the end of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

How is the comparison against 2012's snow and ice buildup at this stage?

The reason I ask is the Autumn of that year at least in terms of signs from the natural environment such as fruit & nut loadings on trees for instance are similar in 2014. Most probably not a strong scientific connection but fascinating nonetheless. Pattern matching to me is becoming much more difficult under our annual extreme climatic variations but its still fun to undertake it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Latest weekly sea ice extent update can be seen here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74411-arctic-ice-data-and-stats/?p=3053365

• Like 1

Posted

It's worth keeping an eye on this site in the coming weeks:

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-nh.php?run=2014101212&var=SNOWCPER_sfc&hour=192

The latest projection shows some decent forecast gains South of 60N across particularly Western Russia/North-Eastern Europe:

post-1038-0-00471200-1413145789_thumb.gi

SK

• Like 1

Posted

How is the comparison against 2012's snow and ice buildup at this stage?

The reason I ask is the Autumn of that year at least in terms of signs from the natural environment such as fruit & nut loadings on trees for instance are similar in 2014. Most probably not a strong scientific connection but fascinating nonetheless. Pattern matching to me is becoming much more difficult under our annual extreme climatic variations but its still fun to undertake it.

Here that, as always interesting comparison gtltweather enjoy

Ice now post-15601-0-80852600-1413171999_thumb.g then post-15601-0-13499200-1413172033_thumb.g

Snow now post-15601-0-92335200-1413172180_thumb.g post-15601-0-83679200-1413172252_thumb.g

Snow then post-15601-0-24382500-1413172326_thumb.gpost-15601-0-42584500-1413172326_thumb.g

It's worth keeping an eye on this site in the coming weeks:

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-nh.php?run=2014101212&var=SNOWCPER_sfc&hour=192

The latest projection shows some decent forecast gains South of 60N across particularly Western Russia/North-Eastern Europe:

attachicon.gifNH_SNOWCPER_sfc_192.gif

SK

Hopefully, still wriggle room for an upgrade :D  

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm
  • Like 1

Posted

Most amount of snow in the SAI area since 1999. http://www.weerwoord.be/uploads/121020141327300.png

As the important thing is supposed to be the gain rather than extent is there anyway to replot starting all years and 0 and plotting the amount gained to the end of the month with 2014 included to today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Here that, as always interesting comparison gtltweather enjoy

Ice now attachicon.gifcursnow_alaska.gif then attachicon.gifims2012286_alaska.gif

Snow now attachicon.gifcursnow_asiaeurope.gif attachicon.gifcursnow_usa.gif

Snow then attachicon.gifims2012286_asiaeurope.gifattachicon.gifims2012286_usa.gif

Hopefully, still wriggle room for an upgrade :D  

A rather crude assessment of those suggests us Europeans could well be favoured over the US states this time around, here's hoping. Far too early to call and despite other's thoughts elsewhere, I would hint at late October being a timescale to watch for those first Northerly excursions to take hold. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.  :diablo:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

If it carries on at this rate for the rest of the month we could see some very decent totals, it is still building up nicely.

2010 to 2014 is shocking at how far ahead we are and that was a stunning winter for the coldies, getting the ice and snow in over the east is a vital bit of the puzzle if an easterly kicks in.

ims2010285_asiaeurope.gif

compared to now...

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

• Like 2