Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Then again isn't that the scenario that was being modelled for this coming week about 4 or 5 days ago? However now we're nearer the timescale tomorrow's frontal wave looks significantly weaker in the S/SW rather than a widespread heavy rain event and it's to be followed by a largely settled and possibly very warm week.

This was my musings for this coming week from the 6z 4 days ago. No 'widespread heavy rain event' was on the cards, Not much change only the main front being a few miles further South, Which is to be expected at the time-scale. With Tuesday being the driest nationwide day, Yes the extreme S/E may touch 26c by the end of the week..

A weak Low sitting over the UK pushing bands of showers possibly merging to give longer spells of rain in places as they cross the country.

ukprec.pngukprec.pngukprec.pngukprec.pngukprec.pngukmaxtemp.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Interesting charts again this morning, very slightly in favour of a summery scenario from Tuesday onwards, with potential variance in latter stages between a hot spell and something more average - no real sign of anything particularly below average except in the NW.

The big theme, though, looks like being a European heatwave to end the month. Anomalies look strong and favourable for that. The question for the UK is - where will the northern boundary of this fall? Certainly the SE looks in good position to benefit from time to time. There may well end up being a line running WSW - ENE, with a very steep temperature gradient - perhaps even a 10C increase over a 300 mile stretch as one heads N to S as the final week in June begins. This line could yet be centred anywhere from the Channel to the Midlands, judging by current charts. Mushymanrob's "buckle" could allow heat to move further north too, as it would change the gradient to more of a SW-NE one, at least temporarily - not possible to predict this one yet but a very viable option.

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The 06z GFS seems to be a pretty poor end game for the UK into week 2, with the jet really powering up with a huge squeeze over the UK, this develops some pretty potent secondary lows which could bring torrential and possibly thundery rain driven by the strong jet and the high thermal gradient. The far south seems to remain drier though.

gfs-0-180.png?6

gfs-5-180.png?6

gfs-0-204.png?6

gfs-5-204.png?6

Lets hope the GFS has gone on one of those zonal adventures.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes the 6z really ramps up the Atlantic into the turn of the Month. 

npsh500.png

• Like 2

Posted

From looking at the charts I see one thing and one thing only, Very warm to hot air gradually filtering in from the south as we head through July. Over the last week or so out in FI i have seen a trend of the hotter air towards the med gradually filter north and by the end of June engulfing the whole of mainland europe. The question to me has been will this hot air mass cross the channel and allow us our first heatwave of the summer?  I think as we head into July the awnser is now yes as the jet stream seems to progged to head north, allowing high pressure from the south to fill the void and creep ever further north.

If that isn't good enough I think as things heat up it will quickly go off with a bang, with some spectacular thunderstorms developing in places not to mention imports crossing the channel. The reason I say this is because the hotter weather won't be the result of a big high pressure slap bang over us capping all convection, it will be from the jet stream weakening and heading north allowing shallow ridges of high pressure to creep ever further north towards us bringing the hot air with it. Once the hot air is established we will essentially be in a COL (a breading ground for thunderstorms when you add heat) and with the jet streams influence always knocking on our door step from the north/northwest any undercutting of cooler air/breakdown IMO would lead to BIG thunderstorms, perhaps severe ;).

Ovcoarse that is only my opinion but I am convinced this JULY will be a month to remember due to HEAT and THUNDERSTORMS :)

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Very difficult to say where and when the best of any bright and warmer interludes will occur over the next 2 weeks.

The jet continues to run across our latitudes which means we rely on brief ridging between the Atlantic fronts moving in from time to time.

A suppressed Azores high means a generally flat Westerly flow with breezy and rather cool Summer conditions with again areas furthest south seeing the best of any warmth.

Not great for heat lovers but still some decent conditions available at times for outdoor activities.

It just means watching the daily forecasts if planning anything in this rather changeable pattern.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The 6z might bring the Atlantic in briefly to give a very unsettled few days but by the 1st July we already have high pressure building back across the south.

Rtavn2521.gif

With a mean like this there is plenty to be upbeat about as we enter July. It shows us cutting off the NW flow and entering a much more favourable position for high pressure to build across the UK delivering some very warm conditions. The mid 20s are getting easier to achieve now that we are approaching July.

gens-21-1-240.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 6z through low res turns into a BEAUTY across the south / southeast of the UK with high pressure building in and soaring temperatures into the 80's F. For what it's worth, I think there is a very good chance, it will be great for Wimbledon if it does. :)

post-4783-0-70276000-1434892192_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-13098200-1434892199_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-18844100-1434892205_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-42195300-1434892255_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-53678400-1434892263_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-90027900-1434892273_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-51635000-1434892281_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-07952300-1434892317_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-02792000-1434892331_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-42852100-1434892338_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-43101700-1434892345_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

Are we really getting that desperate that we're looking into deep FI for something more akin to midsummer?

I wouldn't call it desperate, even the met office think there will be periods of very warm and fine + humid thundery outbreaks for at least the south and east of the UK through towards the end of June and early July which is the main reason why I posted those 6z charts, because there is a good chance of very summery weather on the way...and there is a signal for more widespread drier than average conditions from mid July.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Are we really getting that desperate that we're looking into deep FI for something more akin to midsummer? I think it's slowly beginning to dawn on people that the end game is likely to be a spell of wet and unsettled weather. Still, I have a sneaky suspicion that we'll see a rather notable spell of warmth and thunder before July is out...

Like people do in winter you mean? I think we have a much better chance of getting some sustained warmth in July than we do sustained cold/snow in January.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO extends the high pressure into the weekend now

UW96-21.GIF?21-18UW120-21.GIF?21-18UW144-21.GIF?21-18

Whilst some showers could still makes it towards the UK they should be fairly isolated

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

From looking at the charts I see one thing and one thing only, Very warm to hot air gradually filtering in from the south as we head through July. Over the last week or so out in FI i have seen a trend of the hotter air towards the med gradually filter north and by the end of June engulfing the whole of mainland europe. The question to me has been will this hot air mass cross the channel and allow us our first heatwave of the summer?  I think as we head into July the awnser is now yes as the jet stream seems to progged to head north, allowing high pressure from the south to fill the void and creep ever further north.

If that isn't good enough I think as things heat up it will quickly go off with a bang, with some spectacular thunderstorms developing in places not to mention imports crossing the channel. The reason I say this is because the hotter weather won't be the result of a big high pressure slap bang over us capping all convection, it will be from the jet stream weakening and heading north allowing shallow ridges of high pressure to creep ever further north towards us bringing the hot air with it. Once the hot air is established we will essentially be in a COL (a breading ground for thunderstorms when you add heat) and with the jet streams influence always knocking on our door step from the north/northwest any undercutting of cooler air/breakdown IMO would lead to BIG thunderstorms, perhaps severe ;).

Ovcoarse that is only my opinion but I am convinced this JULY will be a month to remember due to HEAT and THUNDERSTORMS :)

music to my ears...but tell me, have you and charts/data to support this?

• Like 1

Posted

music to my ears...but tell me, have you and charts/data to support this?

If you read the final sentence 'opinion' and I'm inclined to agree with him the models seem quite keen on a very warm start to July back in early Febraury I recall the models glued onto a cold start to March 3/4 weeks beforehand and this was predicted fairly successfully. I do know in summer verification rates are greater so even more so I think some are being too pessimistic. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

12z again modelling a possible severe heatwave for France possibly heading into our territory too. With a few fine adjustments, I.e a push more to the north and west with this trend, it could potentially get into the "hot" category. One thing for sure is that the atmosphere would be like rocket fuel, especially with temps of 36-39c possibly the magic 40c over France!

• Like 1

Posted

The Gfs 12z shows a good deal of warm and fine weather for the south and especially the southeast and occasionally very warm. I think it won't take much change to the current pattern to see continental heat reach the UK in the coming weeks.

post-4783-0-25555300-1434907282_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-54607700-1434907288_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-00988900-1434907295_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-49043700-1434907301_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-95363800-1434907308_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-35704200-1434907316_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-47848500-1434907323_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-81309300-1434907330_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-48946000-1434907338_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted

The GEFS 12z mean shows very warm continental air making significant inroads into the UK from next weekend onwards, we would see temperatures well into the 20's celsius quite widely across the UK and certainly very warm in the south and a lot of fine and sunny weather too with the Azores high ridging up through most of the uk...i'm really impressed by these charts.

post-4783-0-64368600-1434910682_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-81864100-1434910744_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-29527400-1434910769_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-07338100-1434910776_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-71801900-1434910782_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-77765100-1434910796_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-90034200-1434910803_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-34402600-1434910811_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The GEFS 12z mean shows very warm continental air making significant inroads into the UK from next weekend onwards, we would see temperatures well into the 20's celsius quite widely across the UK and certainly very warm in the south and a lot of fine and sunny weather too with the Azores high ridging up through most of the uk...i'm really impressed by these charts.

Also Frosty, the UKMO doesn't seem to have the Atlantic crashing through

Edited by Ilovethesnow
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking at the GEFS anomalies this evening is quite encouraging, Await the ECM version.

With ridging over the western US and western Atlantic there is decrease in the jet and a continued build up of heights western Europe as the mid Atlantic trough virtually dissipates. This tends to HP western Europe (including the UK for once) with temps for the latter rising to above average.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-61326900-1434911337_thumb.p

post-12275-0-00676900-1434911345_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

Also Frosty, the UKMO doesn't seem to have the Atlantic crashing through

Agreed, I'm really encouraged by the 12z runs so far, the gefs 12z mean offers hope for a widespread warm up through week 2.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well a potential plume gate is in the range of the operationals now, impressive to see the GFS ens still going for this.

gens-21-1-216.png

The GEM has certainty bitten the line this afternoon

gem-0-216.png?12

The GFS on the other hand looks mixed if still warm

gfs-0-216.png?12

It would be nice to see the operationals pushing this a bit more over the coming runs. Lets see what the ECM can produce in the 8-10 day range.

The ECM isn't great but a little better than this morning.

ECM1-216.GIF?21-0

It would be nice to see that sharpening trough to really push the heat northwards as opposed to keeping it at bay with a fairly strong westerly jet.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

TBH, I haven't really seen any indication of the 'Atlantic crashing through', just LP to our west (be that SW or NW) somewhere; and, there certainly is not any 2012-like northern blocking suggested...I suppose the odds-on bet would be for something, UK-wide, not too far off average. Of course, it'd only take a minor shift for us to experience either a heatwave or total garbage...

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

If you read the final sentence 'opinion' and I'm inclined to agree with him the models seem quite keen on a very warm start to July back in early Febraury I recall the models glued onto a cold start to March 3/4 weeks beforehand and this was predicted fairly successfully. I do know in summer verification rates are greater so even more so I think some are being too pessimistic. :)

Yeah, but opinion based on what?