Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

While still decent I'm not liking the trends in the last few runs, it's clear again on the this morning GFS 00z run heights won't build over the continent anywhere near enough to prevent the Atlantic spilling in. looks more like a messy breakdown into late next week assuming things don't get punted east which in reality still seems the most logical solution. Still a couple of days do seem likely to potentially produce the highest temos since July 2006. I think to achieve that we have the 1st August 2013 to beat??

I think the main change on the GFS has been a move from hot and mostly settled to hot and more potential of thunderstorms moving up from the South from Iberia & France. The trend for the Atlantic low to eventually push in seemed always on the cards, but hey we are talking a week away with plenty of changes likely to come before then.

The only thing I am wary of is the proximity and depth if the Low to the W and what it will mean for our surface weather.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Evening Weather fans, , The Plume next week is out of the reliable timeframe, but the thing what excites me is the potential for some really big thunderstorms on what is shown on tonights  models. 

.... so the plume is out of the reliable timeframe but the thunderstorm potential isnt?....

i note the EC32 update knocker, but atm theres no sign of the azores high returning and becoming influential on the noaa charts just yet.

post-2797-0-68471500-1435299714_thumb.gi post-2797-0-35606700-1435299728_thumb.gi

in fact its looking pretty good, with not a deal of change in the general synoptic pattern. plenty of warm summery weather especially in the southeast.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 2

Posted

Brilliant models this morning!!plume backed west again!ukmo has retreated further west aswell!!!mid thirties looks a real possibility by Wednesday next week!!

• Like 4

Posted

.... so the plume is out of the reliable timeframe but the thunderstorm potential isnt?....

i note the EC32 update knocker, but atm theres no sign of the azores high returning and becoming influential on the noaa charts just yet.

attachicon.gifchart1.gif attachicon.gifchart2.gif

in fact its looking pretty good, with not a deal of change in the general synoptic pattern. plenty of warm summery weather especially in the southeast.

Actually I don't think there is a huge difference Mushy. The EC anomaly at T312 has a pretty flat Atlantic with a weak trough in the east and HP NW Europe and the eastern seaboard which gives a broad zonal westerly flow.  Given the NOAA 8-14 is a five day mean and although it is still showing slight troughing in the west, I would have thought it was edging towards the flat Atlantic scenario. By  influential at this stage I meant although situated to the SW the Azores HP is controlling the flow.  Oh the joys of model watching..

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS brings the hotter air in a day early (by tuesday) with a risk of thunderstorms a day early two. By thursday 33c over eastern england, so the record would be very close to getting broken in this area! If the chart comes to fruition that is ;)

Rtavn16217.gif

Phenomenal charts!

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS brings the hotter air in a day early (by tuesday) with a risk of thunderstorms a day early two. By thursday 33c over eastern england, so the record would be very close to getting broken in this area! If the chart comes to fruition that is ;)

Rtavn16217.gif

Phenomenal charts!

What record HC?

plumes > 20c are very rare in the UK. it is obviously not sustainable for several days so we look to those runs which shorten the plume to 24/36 hours max as being more likely to be showing a verifiable solution.

ECM fi looks progressive though the sinking of the scuero high anomoly south west to become a euro high anomoly is the favoured extended ens option so a more standard zonal flow north of the UK should be the eventual outcome.

• Like 3

ECM is a much more progressive run, again the model gives us a pretty ordinary weekend over the 4/5 July. Seems the weather has something against delivering the goods over weekends this summer. All in all despite a few hot days I think an earlier breakdown to Atlantic weather seems more likely as early as the 2nd July but more likely the 4th. From experience id say the chances of the heat building back after Thursday next are already reducing. As ever more runs are required. We need higher pressure to build over the low countries.

Posted

ECM is a much more progressive run, again the model gives us a pretty ordinary weekend over the 4/5 July. Seems the weather has something against delivering the goods over weekends this summer. All in all despite a few hot days I think an earlier breakdown to Atlantic weather seems more likely as early as the 2nd July but more likely the 4th. From experience id say the chances of the heat building back after Thursday next are already reducing. As ever more runs are required. We need higher pressure to build over the low countries.

Would agree with that as it is running the lows emanating off the eastern seaboard around the Azores HP. I think the scenario from hereon in will be to push the Azores HP further north. Of course a week is a long time in meteorology.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-05787000-1435304436_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

What record HC?

plumes > 20c are very rare in the UK. it is obviously not sustainable for several days so we look to those runs which shorten the plume to 24/36 hours max as being more likely to be showing a verifiable solution.

ECM fi looks progressive though the sinking of the scuero high anomoly south west to become a euro high anomoly is the favoured extended ens option so a more standard zonal flow north of the UK should be the eventual outcome.

The July record which is 36.5c

Certainly looks under threat

ukmaxtemp.png

• Like 6

Posted

Looking at GFS ensembles this morning:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_table.php?x=306&y=141&run=0&ext=fr&mode=0&sort=0

Next weeks plume now has cast iron agreement, with all 21 members getting above 18.7. How long the major heat lasts is questionable - some members go for a 36 hour burst, while about half of the members sustain the heat until 4/5 July - some with unbroken high temperatures for 5 consecutive days.

No members go for a return to the very extreme heat after about 6th July (except for the op), so something a little more normal is likely from D11 onwards, but having said that, around half the ens members return to 850 levels above 15C, so conditions could continue significantly warmer than average at times even after next weeks heatwave.

The information above is for London - for the same of balance, here's an ensemble chart for South Yorkshire:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_table.php?ext=1&x=130&y=15

Not the extreme heat of the south but fairly good agreement on hot weather for the middle of next week, and I'd expect 30C could be reached here too. A small possibility that the main part of the plume won't get here, though, and a much higher chance that second waves of heat on 3/4/5 July won't significantly affect northern areas - though still well above average temps relative to this part of the world

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Lets hope that for once an 'extreme' comes off in the UK. Whether it be winter or summer any extreme of weather type progged ends up as no more than a wet fart in recent years..or to put i more elaquently benighn conditions.

Glass half full given the eye candy charts we have on offer would be a few days of potential record breaking temperatures with thunderstorms to follow of biblical ferocity.

Glass half empty, One day of real heat but nothing out of the ordinary,33c in the capital swept away by 'scattered thundery showers' on Friday next week.

• Like 3

Posted

0Z NAVGEM is outrageous. T850 temperatures up to 27. 2m temperartures up to 42.

navgemfr-1-168_abh2.png

navgemfr-8-162_pop2.png

The 14:00 chart goes one step further

navgemfr-8-156.png?26-07

2m temp of 43 over Norfolk

• Like 6

Posted

The 14:00 chart goes one step further

navgemfr-8-156.png?26-07

2m temp of 43 over Norfolk

These are fun to look at, but for the sake of the casual observer, these are not to be taken seriously. I don't think any credible chart suggests 40C could be reached. GFS temps, though far from infallible, are a much better guide.

• Like 8

Posted

Although basically similar the GEFS and ECM anomalies differ a little on the orientation of the tidge to the east and the trough. The difference would mean a varying influence of the low to the NW but it would seem neither would stop perturbations winging in from the eastern seaboard.

http://purtubations

post-12275-0-11281800-1435312444_thumb.p

post-12275-0-32201800-1435312451_thumb.p

post-12275-0-67901500-1435312459_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Next Thursday still looks like the peak of the heat I wouldn't rule out somewhere in the SE hitting 35c

ukmaxtemp.png

Even on Monday temperatures are rising mid to high 20's in the south

ukmaxtemp.png

Tuesday and Wednesday sees the heat extending north and around 30c in the south

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

Some very muggy nights later next week as well with the 'lows' around 24c for some

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Actually I don't think there is a huge difference Mushy. The EC anomaly at T312 has a pretty flat Atlantic with a weak trough in the east and HP NW Europe and the eastern seaboard which gives a broad zonal westerly flow.  Given the NOAA 8-14 is a five day mean and although it is still showing slight troughing in the west, I would have thought it was edging towards the flat Atlantic scenario. By  influential at this stage I meant although situated to the SW the Azores HP is controlling the flow.  Oh the joys of model watching..

fair play knocks :)

not a bad outlook then, and id be very surprised if the coming heatwave will be the only hot spell we get.

• Like 1

06Z was a cooler run than 00Z & draws extent of high 850s southwards & therefore the heat down somewhat on Thursday , with maxes 33-34C only in the south east.. The axis of the low to west is such that *relatively* cooler air to south undercut into Biscay more. Then the incursion of hot air into SE again at w/e is not so pronounced, the very warm air is all gone by the end of Saturday. I can see that this could very easily still be 'downgraded' to a 1-2 day quite hot spell in the SE & east by runs this w/e & early next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Scandi high becoming a blocking feature, forcing the jet up and over it from our S.

This sustains the warmth we will have in place, and low and behold, we have another reload showing in Fantasy Island!

Good thing is, the pattern that is to become the precursor to the heat is setting up now, well within the reliable time frame.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Charts and data today does support a dramatic warm up next week .

But the weather could become balanced on a knife edge with realy hot temp 30c plus being at a premium for some .but with a nudge of the pattern 32 could be achieved .

Its going to be interesting watching this event unfold and already the media are latching onto next week making headline news ,but we have been there before and at this range many options still possible ,certainly Model watching will be interesting ,so lets be thankfull we have some interesting weather on the horizon ,sit back relax ,get the drinks on ice enjoy  :drinks:

• Like 1