Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 4th July and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Even though the euro model suggests snow for Midlands northwards and rain for south of the m4 I think we could get in on some fun and games. I always seem to remember that when the Atlantic comes up against a tough cold bloc it gets corrected further and further south and west. So still time for change.....if it happens at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Daren't ask this in the MOD thread...focus seems entirely upon whether or not it will snow somewhere in the UK in the not too distant future.

What are the chances of Cornwall (or more specifically Nr. Penzance) seeing any dry weather in the first week of January? Is it likely to be a complete wash out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
9 minutes ago, jethro said:

Daren't ask this in the MOD thread...focus seems entirely upon whether or not it will snow somewhere in the UK in the not too distant future.

What are the chances of Cornwall (or more specifically Nr. Penzance) seeing any dry weather in the first week of January? Is it likely to be a complete wash out?

Here is the GFS's current take on things from the 1st to the 7th. then loops :)

gfsrain.gif

Posted
18 minutes ago, Essex Easterly said:

Here is the GFS's current take on things from the 1st to the 7th. then loops :)

gfsrain.gif

Thank you.

Wash out it is then. I'll be in a cliff top cottage praying for a miracle  -  Dear weather gods, either deflect it all a bit further south or make it really cold and turn it all into snow.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

ECM Meteogram for Culdrose

EGDR_2015122900_dx_240.thumb.png.5b2de08

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Sunny day here.. Nice to see. 9.3c.   Woke up early this morning sweating....

Posted
4 hours ago, knocker said:

ECM Meteogram for Culdrose

EGDR_2015122900_dx_240.thumb.png.5b2de08

Thanks Knocker, doesn't look too bad. If I can't have one of those historical, Cornwall cut off from the world snowfalls, then I'll settle for an Atlantic, blowing a hoolie storm - going to be in a Landmark Trust cottage, perched on the cliff top, listening to the waves crashing below. No TV, no mobile signal, no Wifi, no landline, advised to take candles as power can be a bit dodgy, like stepping back in time.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, jethro said:

Thanks Knocker, doesn't look too bad. If I can't have one of those historical, Cornwall cut off from the world snowfalls, then I'll settle for an Atlantic, blowing a hoolie storm - going to be in a Landmark Trust cottage, perched on the cliff top, listening to the waves crashing below. No TV, no mobile signal, no Wifi, no landline, advised to take candles as power can be a bit dodgy, like stepping back in time.

Beware the Knockers................They are prone to wander desolate headlands at night.

In the here and now the deterioration continues with Ns, St and slight rain. Wind S 25mph gusting 40.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
On 12/28/2015 at 0:33 PM, cornish snow said:

Going by the latest output,i think the word "battleground" will start to appear more and more over the coming days.

Hate that word.Only means one thing for me in cornwall,Rain,rain and more rain.

Usually a snowfest for all parts East, bar here.:angry:

Wait? There's a possibility of a snow fest? :O

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

Beware the Knockers................They are prone to wander desolate headlands at night.

I don't mind 'em... but I prefer the Porthleven.

cornish_knocker.thumb.jpg.37d5b491c0c494

Nice day here today. Sunny and maxed out at 13.5C.

Thanks Knocker, doesn't look too bad. If I can't have one of those historical, Cornwall cut off from the world snowfalls, then I'll settle for an Atlantic, blowing a hoolie storm - going to be in a Landmark Trust cottage, perched on the cliff top, listening to the waves crashing below. No TV, no mobile signal, no Wifi, no landline, advised to take candles as power can be a bit dodgy, like stepping back in time.

I'd seriously consider taking a barbecue. Cooking al fresco, brisk sea air, not forgetting a good single malt. Bliss?  Best sea food can be cooked on a hot flame, every time and in minutes!  :)

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, four seasons in one day said:

Thanks Knocker, doesn't look too bad. If I can't have one of those historical, Cornwall cut off from the world snowfalls, then I'll settle for an Atlantic, blowing a hoolie storm - going to be in a Landmark Trust cottage, perched on the cliff top, listening to the waves crashing below. No TV, no mobile signal, no Wifi, no landline, advised to take candles as power can be a bit dodgy, like stepping back in time.

I'd seriously consider taking a barbecue. Cooking al fresco, brisk sea air, not forgetting a good single malt. Bliss?  Best sea food can be cooked on a hot flame, every time and in minutes!  :)

Mmmm, fresh seafood, yum yum. Mind you, the last time I went to Cornwall in the winter I drove blinking miles trying to find a fish shop which was open, the only one I could find was Stein's place in Padstow and it irked me to be lining his pockets instead of a local fisherman.

Posted
29 minutes ago, knocker said:

In the here and now the deterioration continues with Ns, St and slight rain. Wind S 25mph gusting 40.

Knockers? They hold no fear for me, I've been fending off the scrumpy quaffers which wander lost from Glastonbury, for years.

Posted
11 minutes ago, jethro said:

Mmmm, fresh seafood, yum yum. Mind you, the last time I went to Cornwall in the winter I drove blinking miles trying to find a fish shop which was open, the only one I could find was Stein's place in Padstow and it irked me to be lining his pockets instead of a local fisherman.

Well if you want fresh fish you aren't going to be a million miles from Newlyn. You can't whack that. There is a very good chippy there as well.

Edited by knocker

13 minutes ago, jethro said:

Chips? Steaming hot linguine, think lobster, crab and half a plate of crisp salad. Malt makes a great flambé producer lol. 

Posted
18 minutes ago, four seasons in one day said:

Chips? Steaming hot linguine, think lobster, crab and half a plate of crisp salad. Malt makes a great flambé producer lol. 

All sounds heavenly but like I said open fish shops, in the winter, in Cornwall....rare as snow. Stein's wet fish place in Padstow was the only one I could find and even then they had a very limited choice; got the impression that when out of tourist season, if they catch anything even vaguely interesting it gets shipped off to London pronto - Mackerel, Mackerel or Mackerel.

Will try Newlyn or do you know of any good ones sort of Penzance/St Ives location? I'll be in Lower Porthmeor.

Edited by jethro

12 minutes ago, jethro said:

All sounds heavenly but like I said open fish shops, in the winter, in Cornwall....rare as snow. Stein's wet fish place in Padstow was the only one I could find and even then they had a very limited choice; got the impression that when out of tourist season, if they catch anything even vaguely interesting it gets shipped off to London pronto - Mackerel, Mackerel or Mackerel.

Will try Newlyn or do you know of any good ones sort of Penzance/St Ives location? I'll be in Lower Porthmeor.

And a very good book can come in handy  :) 

As for fish or chips, I'd do my own considering all mod cons are at a premium then why bother. Back to basics, enjoy.

Posted
50 minutes ago, jethro said:

You are out in the wild. I'm afraid I don't know any in St Ives but you have me slightly confused as Newlyn is sort of Penzance location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Crikey its blowing a hooly  rain incoming storm frank on the loose and we are talking fish shops ,mind you i could fancy a fish meal with mushy peas right now ,but we have cold ham chips pickles etc , looking at tonights charts rain rain rain and possibly colder in the outlook any one for a blizzard just for our local area ,south of m4 of course ,cheers all :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, knocker said:

You are out in the wild. I'm afraid I don't know any in St Ives but you have me slightly confused as Newlyn is sort of Penzance location.

Oh I know but it's such a short distance from coast to coast, takes no time at all to travel around. Used to the bonkers traffic in and around Bath/Bristol, they're both only about 15 miles from here but it's not unusual for it to take an hour to get there, commuter time of day and it's often well over an hour, it's a joy to travel on empty Cornish roads.

6 minutes ago, jethro said:

Oh I know but it's such a short distance from coast to coast, takes no time at all to travel around. Used to the bonkers traffic in and around Bath/Bristol, they're both only about 15 miles from here but it's not unusual for it to take an hour to get there, commuter time of day and it's often well over an hour, it's a joy to travel on empty Cornish roads.

Not many chippies then. Plan A al fresco, trust me. Fresh sea food en route?