Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

I'm not a great believer in model rainfall forecasts but for what's worth the latest from the gfs up to Tuesday. Hopefully the areas in the north that have had more than sufficient it wont be too bad. Not much of significance for the rest of the run except to note temps above average out to day, sometimes ridiculously so.

Charts weatherbell

gfs_tprecip_uk2_18.png

gfs_t2m_a_f_uk2_26.png

Knocker are those Anomaly charts projected surface temps.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowangel32 said:

Knocker are those Anomaly charts projected surface temps.

They are 2 meter temperatures, which obviously have some flaws, but not enough to make a huge difference. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 minutes ago, jvenge said:

They are 2 meter temperatures, which obviously have some flaws, but not enough to make a huge difference. 

The general standard temperature observation is at 2m. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The general standard temperature observation is at 2m. 

And just to wrap this up  the (WMO) agreed standard for the height of the thermometers is between 1.25 m (4 ft 1 in) and 2 m (6 ft 7 in)

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, knocker said:

Yes the last run ba unless I'm misreading it. I'll be surprised if further observation is not pretty near the mark.

meps_ao_2015120700.png

Sorry - was late and I missed the word 'control'.  I don't bother with the control unless looking for a potential quick trop response to a forecast ssw and we don't have that in the ether next four weeks.

the new ec32 mean keeps heights and slp over Europe high.  The rest is irrelevant because of this. (Unless there is a significant cluster that contradicts this ).

Posted

Euro4 seems interesting regarding the shortwave saturday!!seems to have taken it further south again and anywhere from sheffield northwards has a chance of snow!!!gfs slightly further north again but further south than yesterday!!down to nowcasting maybe!!

Posted

Hadn't noticed ba's post but I'll post the irrelevance anyway. Or at least my take on it. :)

A brief overview of the latest EC32 means output. Keep in mind this is not the full monty.

The upper air analysis on the 21st. Low pressure over the Pole and NW Greenland with troughs eastern Europe, western N. America and eastern Atlantic with ridging to the east of the UK.  Ergo periods of wet and windy weather for the latter with temps above average.

During the next week no significant change except the eastern European trough weakens with perhaps a suspicion of height rises over Scandinavia and the eastern Atlantic trough is less extensive south. So still periods of unsettled weather over the UK but perhaps more fine interludes further south.  Temps now nearer the average.

From here to the end of the run the Iceland trough becomes more negatively tilted towards Scandinavia perhaps allowing more influence from the HP pushing up from the SW/S so more settled weather for all with temps around average.

Summary

Periods of unsettled weather will continue throughout which could be quite wintry in the north with incursions of PM air. Thus the south and east more inclined to settled periods. Temps above average at first becoming average but of course there will be swings as systems pass through

The NAO and AO remain positive throughout.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
1 hour ago, snowangel32 said:

For anyone dreaming of a seasonal Xmas look away now.

18z kept us in with a chanceimage.thumb.jpg.728084969a51885a64cb645e

00z takes it awayimage.thumb.jpg.f311e2bf6a373a42138bc6ec

From a White Christmas to a tropical Christmas. :wallbash:

The 18z would have perhaps given a transient white Christmas to northern hills before much milder air moved in.

gfs18.thumb.png.1ffcac18b98f9a529cfd2226gfs19.thumb.png.db3ad41aaad4ee163c57182b

And the 00z would still be pretty chilly for the majority.

gfs17.thumb.png.1114fb1c8970744ced0a85b5

Anyway not worth looking at detail that far ahead.... :)

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 00z shows a sharp temperature contrast from north to south this weekend, especially tomorrow and there will be a spell of wet snow tomorrow across some of the hills of northern england and a spell of persistent and sometimes heavy rain on low ground across the central swathe of the uk. Looking further ahead, it stays generally unsettled and the north gradually becomes milder from the south during the course of next week but there are some Pm incursions through low res as well as some settled interludes with night frosts and fog,, especially further south.:)

prectypeuktopo.png

ukmaxtemp.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The update to the JMA is consistent to the last few weeks with a very similar pattern till early January, as expected, mid-Jan is where changes need to happen otherwise it could be a long winter for cold hunters, though I am more than hopeful that we will turn colder around then. 

Y201512.D0912.thumb.png.306cf9bb1a1a4195    566a84e84c278_Y201512.D0912(1).thumb.pngwk3.wk4_20151209.z500.thumb.gif.7f37e5cd   MT8_London_ens.thumb.png.070b198c35d2a49

The CFS week 3-4 is offering much of the same long wave pattern. Whether we get a more TM or PM flow will ebb and flow, though the south will be a milder regime under this synoptic. The UKMO have dumped any cold for the week 3 and 4 saying it will most likely be mild and wet: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast. The CET is plus 5.2c above normal! Looking at the GFS London ENS the mean remains about 5c above the T850's 30 year average for week 1 and about 2-3c for week 2. The ECM that was showing a cooling down for 4-5 days only a few days ago is now a blowtorch for most of its run. 

So its a case of grin and bear it till the New Year and hope some better charts start to show up in FI, by then we will have a better grasp of what the underlying Jan to March pattern will be without any forcing from strat warming (which I suspect may be our best hope for anything blocked).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif

Some truly remarkable output this morning, with the chance of something really exceptional shown here. A feed all the way from North Africa in parts of the SE. Would anyone like to hazard a guess at some temperatures if this verifies??! 16-17c perhaps?? The month is already 5c over average, and this is just getting crazy now! :blink2:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The south and south east looks best placed for some very mild weather later next week on this mornings UKMO with the north and west most at risk of seeing further rain

Rukm1441.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Just look at the extent of that 10C Isotherm over mainland Europe at pressure level 850mb for start of Christmas week at ( about 5000feet ) Crazy warmth. Hope that forecast model is wrong as help comes to mind for all in  Alpine Ski-ing locations. It may be over playing these exceptional; values but mild looks liked locked in at latitudes below 50N prior to Christmas.

cRecm2162.thumb.gif.b0a687868309e85f67448

Posted

As the front moves north around midday tomorrow and meets the colder air there is a small window for the Derbyshire/Peak District to get some brief transient snow. The hi-res model WRF (2 hour segments):

nmmuk-1-36-0.thumb.png.8d772c6029031a57c   nmmuk-1-38-0.thumb.png.62c4cf8d1958eb0d9   nmmuk-1-40-0.thumb.png.42686032d8077cdbc

Wales and Ireland and the Midlands getting some moderate accumulations:     nmmuk-25-42-0.thumb.png.d013d96871c70d24   566a944268832_prec4(4).thumb.png.cdfe9bd

Next 10 days rainfall for the south looking average to below and the NW facing regions look to get the worse of it again, though thankfully maybe not as bad as the last week.

Edited by IDO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
17 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Just look at the extent of that 10C Isotherm over mainland Europe at pressure level 850mb for start of Christmas week at ( about 5000feet ) Crazy warmth. Hope that forecast model is wrong as help comes to mind for all in  Alpine Ski-ing locations. It may be over playing these exceptional; values but mild looks liked locked in at latitudes below 50N prior to Christmas.

cRecm2162.thumb.gif.b0a687868309e85f67448

Totally agree, that the current synopsis and temps for time of year is strange in comparison to recent years. However, u cant help but think that the shape of the jetstream which is also clear on your posted chart is such a severe u bend and full of energy that the direction of travel can't be sustained.

Its the one time I am hoping for a deepening low to flatten out the azores high around the 20-22nd which could make things a bit more seasonal if heights remain in the atlantic.

hgt300.png

Posted
3 hours ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

@IDO Derbyshire & the Peak District must have moved northwards since I last checked?! 

Nope still in the same place...:p

derb.thumb.PNG.f7ea74527a50ebeeb5c277a7cnmm30.thumb.png.e10a4eadfed526b67d532636nmm31.thumb.png.1f746cf387f40b2b3a0608dd

High ground only event (>200 metres) so Peak District a possible along with Pennines:

UKMO warning: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1449878400

Uncertainty as always with snow forecasts but most other models are over the Peak District area (do not know what netweather uses):

arpegeuk-1-40-0.thumb.png.2e0e6d7d3191d8  GFS:  33-779UK.thumb.gif.e36dd42b1f03cd132abe4

Edited by Paul
Fixing broken post
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Guess there's still some uncertainty on how far north the front gets, the charts you posted had the snow further north than Derbyshire. The charts I used are from the NetWx-SR model which used to be the NMM 4km, which if correct the snow would be much further north. 

GFS 6z charts for tomorrow afternoon, milder air not far away from Derbyshire. 

gfs20.thumb.png.b1f998e9705760db45210a08gfs21.thumb.png.6cb73f0aefbb2b0bc1710cd3gfs22.thumb.png.e1f1e6dfca89ba2d6c9d5f89gfs23.thumb.png.75d84c2ebc270367727504a2

The warning just about reaches the Northern Peak District, but mostly in the rain warning. 

warn23.thumb.PNG.2f85d82dfc2edd1f69468ce

Edited by Paul
Fixing broken post

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

As I suggested sometime ago the current Nino and powerful vortex is certainly running the show at the moment got fingers crossed for a decent strat warming.

it certainly very 97/98 like and the models still showing the euro heights all the fun and games of the last few days or more of northern blocking is all but gone.

although I do feel ridges will keep things a little more dryer in the southernmost parts of the U.K.

over all the next few weeks show typical Nino dominated pattern and I strongly believe this will dominate through winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
29 minutes ago, emotional rollercoaster said:

As I suggested sometime ago the current Nino and powerful vortex is certainly running the show at the moment got fingers crossed for a decent strat warming.

it certainly very 97/98 like and the models still showing the euro heights all the fun and games of the last few days or more of northern blocking is all but gone.

although I do feel ridges will keep things a little more dryer in the southernmost parts of the U.K.

over all the next few weeks show typical Nino dominated pattern and I strongly believe this will dominate through winter.

I think it's been established that there is no typical El Nino pattern as pretty much every event has produced different weather patterns.

I'm also failing to see where this powerful vortex is? It looks really disorganised and it leads me to think that the main problem is heights over Europe. If they would only shove of then a entry would be open for lows to slip traditionally eastwards rather than south then north towards the UK at the last minute. We're actually closer to colder weather than many think, as shown by the conditions in the north of the UK but heights over Europe are really proving a pain in the fire exit.

The most intriguing thing viewing the models is how lows are rapidly intensifying just to the southwest of the UK and I wonder if that's the effect of such warm air crossing cold seas?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Anyone know what this is about and what it would mean?  Don't think I've heard it mentioned.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/674808091028774912

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

06GFS flips back to colder weather in FI,Northerly Xmas eve,followed

By a cold Christmas Day,no doubt back to mild on the 12z

C.S

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This is more like it, the Gfs 6z shows a seasonal feel to the christmas period with some snow showers, especially to coastal areas and with a crisp frosty start to the big day and cold polar maritime shots to follow...hopefully a chilly christmas to come rather than a mild mushy one!!:D:cold:

hgt500-1000.png

hgt500-1000 (1).png

hgt500-1000 (2).png

ukmintemp.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5