Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Despite a projected 8°C on the forecasts, I have 10.5°C on the station at 5m and 11°C on the one at the correct measuring height. I thought it must be wrong, but Bournemouth airport has reached 10.7°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Another snow tease for here. Suggestion of light snow here on Thursday morning according to Met Office / BBC weather app. I'll report back later with an update....well you know already it will be downgraded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
23 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Another snow tease for here. Suggestion of light snow here on Thursday morning according to Met Office / BBC weather app. I'll report back later with an update....well you know already it will be downgraded.

Mine is looking exceptionally accurate today as it has no snow forecast all week :nea:

I bet it is spot on :D

• Like 2

Posted

Be interesting to see those Atlantic fronts on Sat trying to move into the SW. With a SE or E bitter airflow forecast for that time things could get interesting.

Posted

Today has sort of reminded me of Summer. The sun felt quite strong in the clear blue sky, then the clouds bubbled up.

Made for some views though.

20160223_171047.thumb.jpg.3e3985012daf61

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Today has sort of reminded me of Summer. The sun felt quite strong in the clear blue sky, then the clouds bubbled up.

Made for some views though.

It certainly did... I was sat out in pants and a t-shirt at 3pm. :rolleyes::laugh::rolleyes:

Posted

Yep...was a lot warmer than expected last night...temps got nowhere near freezing and today has been mild enough for me to break a sweat in my duvet coat. Tonight feels a lot chillier. We'll see what frosty hollows can offer overnight in terms of frost

Posted

Well the frost has started here -0.8c it looks like it is going to be a cold one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Well it downgraded but hey ho. But David Braine now suggesting that a sleet/snow event is finely balance between that and rain. Usual caveat of high ground favoured. Hope that's 200 metres plus and not the usual 400 metres. This winter is some what torturous with the constant come ons and then denials, it's all a bit student like circa 1999.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Despite a projected 8°C on the forecasts, I have 10.5°C on the station at 5m and 11°C on the one at the correct measuring height. I thought it must be wrong, but Bournemouth airport has reached 10.7°C

Something I've noticed recently is that the MO seems to underestimate minimums and maximums, when skies are clear. I posted something about this a couple weeks back with overnight temperatures, and it's the same again tonight... Currently meant to be 5C, Wunderground tells me that it's somewhere between 2-3C generally across the town.

Todays max was also meant to be 8C but I think all stations across the town, again recorded above that. 

Is it a flaw in the models they use to underestimate how quickly heat is lost under clear skies, and  the strength of the suns insolation?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Temps falling away now, going to be a good frost over night.

Fergie's points west forecast for tonight

Edited by Rich_Clements

Posted
30 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

Something I've noticed recently is that the MO seems to underestimate minimums and maximums, when skies are clear. I posted something about this a couple weeks back with overnight temperatures, and it's the same again tonight... Currently meant to be 5C, Wunderground tells me that it's somewhere between 2-3C generally across the town.

Todays max was also meant to be 8C but I think all stations across the town, again recorded above that. 

Is it a flaw in the models they use to underestimate how quickly heat is lost under clear skies, and  the strength of the suns insolation?

I think it is more of a case of that they cater for general locations and specific micro climates are always going to be somewhat adrift even of local west country forecast. 

Depending on weather and situation I am normally 2-5c below the forecasted temperatures on weather maps just because of rural location and elevation and I guess some hot spots will always record higher than forecast.

Also some of those wunderground stations may be reading ground temperature or lower than they ought to be and likewise on a sunny day not all the amateur stations have decent radiation shielding so they can end up a little higher.

As for heat loss after dark I am not sure,

Edited by Nights King

Posted

We can have quite marked differences in temperatures within a couple of miles here, even at same elevation. My local met office has recorded sub zero temps already tonight, but my back garden is reading about 3 degrees higher. It can work both ways too. I can have a heavy frost, but they'll record temperatures above freezing. We used to say that we had our own micro climate being in the shadow of Didcot power station's cooling towers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
9 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

We used to say that we had our own micro climate being in the shadow of Didcot power station's cooling towers!

Haven't they been demolished recently?

Posted
Just now, AWD said:

Haven't they been demolished recently?

No, it's being demolished piece by piece. Work supposed to be completed by the summer,, but don't know what effect today's tragic events will have on that.

Posted

Just been out for a quick smoke, and took a few snaps on the dog n' bone..

20160223_225351.thumb.jpg.91020911dd5c8b20160223_225746.thumb.jpg.4f9d610c4866e5

20160223_225848.thumb.jpg.d749bae952a0cd20160223_230019.thumb.jpg.0c4e53cbf14bdd

Temp: 0.9°C - Hum: 87% - Dew: -1°C - Bar: 1021.28hPa - Wind: Calm.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Nights King said:

I think it is more of a case of that they cater for general locations and specific micro climates are always going to be somewhat adrift even of local west country forecast. 

Depending on weather and situation I am normally 2-5c below the forecasted temperatures on weather maps just because of rural location and elevation and I guess some hot spots will always record higher than forecast.

Also some of those wunderground stations may be reading ground temperature or lower than they ought to be and likewise on a sunny day not all the amateur stations have decent radiation shielding so they can end up a little higher.

As for heat loss after dark I am not sure,

Yes this is true, but it's not only for me here, I've had a look round the region when this is happening and the same case seems to be repeated mostly everywhere, so I'm not sure if microclimates come in to it in my case!

This is very true and I can only assume that as these are amateur stations, they don't have perfect conditions or equipment to read from. But what intrigues me is that still after looking everywhere locally to me tonight, MO have underestimated the overnight min temperature, so I'm not sure what the cause for this is! An update of the temps now and I should be at 3C (according to the met) and the highest Wunderground gives me 0.7C, the lowest -2.1C. The fact that it's repeatedly lower across all stations is what interesting about it!

Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Not so cold here on the coast at -0.4c, still got t de-ice the car though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Light rain showers here on the s.coast of IOW, frost gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Good Morning all, -3c at home and a frost as expected.

Have a good day all