Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I think someone else covered this earlier today - I get the concern about the GFS operational run modelling Low Pressure later next week and into the week after a bit too far West. But there is also that risk of things getting too far East, and the cold, wintry, weather goes for a party over the nearby continent, or Scandinavia.

Despite the last 3 GFS runs dropping the trough around the UK area (albeit earlier runs had it a little further East) I do believe that the GFS is over-doing the Westward extent of that upper and surface Low over the UK. Seems a bit too extreme compared to what the other models show, plus the 12Z GEFS mean has the Low Pressure further East over North-Eastern UK. From my experience, like with what some have mentioned on here, I feel as though these setups more often than not get adjusted further East within time. 

For what it’s worth, synoptically, the 12Z GFS run, while not perfect, could have been a real sick bucket of a run - except perhaps it could deliver a lot of cold rain. Admittedly something a number of us would despise. However with this sort of setup, some marginal surprise wintry events are also very possible, especially over high ground. 

With how some of our last Winters have gone, it’s not too surprising to see the frustration that’s been occurring. Although saying that, people have generally been pretty good at keeping the toy throwing in check, even with what a lot of the cold weather fans have gone through. It can be easy for some of us to set our expectations too high wanting truckloads of snow and lots of cold, even when we know for an average UK Winter that is unlikely. At the same time, I don’t expect Winter’s to be constantly mild without any cold snaps/spells either

In a way, is a good thing that the setup the GFS is showing is quite far away still, as allows room for things to improve. True, things could easily get watered down. And should other models start heading the same way as the GFS then it could be a worry. But hopefully that won’t be one of those times where it all waters down, considering some of the background signals would support some amplified patterns that could favour cold weather over the UK. Just need to be in the right area for any colder conditions. Some of these things seemingly resting on where any troughs of Low Pressure drop to, along with the amount of amplification to our West upstream.

Personally, I think the GFS is overdoing things at the moment probably making things a little too amplified, especially when other models, including tonight’s ECMWF, are less amplified (but not terrible) with Low Pressure further East. 

You could argue that things could do with being more amplified on the ECMWF and especially the GEM. That of which could still always happen as models show variations of the pattern. And the way, also, they can be up and down with their outlooks.

Preferably would want something closer to the GFS, but with everything just that little bit further South-East than on that model. So are then able to tap into the colder flow from the North and East. I do get the feeling, for now, that any of the troughs to our North-West will drop close by to our East. Whether close enough to benefit us for cold and wintry weather is not certain and they can always be further West. A lot of things for the models to figure out over the next few days, so nothing is definite yet. 

Let’s hope many us can get in on some white action in the next few weeks. Not being one of those Winter’s where all the promising signs for cold and wintry weather happens too late (if at all). ⛄️Can’t see their being a repeat of last Winter to be honest (am happy to be wrong though)

There is at least a chance for a bit of wintry weather, probably mostly for the North, and perhaps some Eastern areas towards Christmas, as well as some frost, as the flow looks to briefly turn more from the North-West or North into the middle part of the upcoming week ??

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
23 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Aye, but we've seen those Day 10 charts umpteen times already. 

When we get closer to t+0, some spoiler low appears and stops the ridge and we have to wait 4 or 5 days for the next attempt. 

And before you know it, it's May.

yes i know...

2 times a day

14 times a week

56 times a month

and 672 times a year☺️

but i know what you mean

maybe something's a foot this time though...

is that snow>>>tumblr_p9rdezwBsr1qfr6udo1_400.thumb.gif.6b760687ed8d3d336a26ca1bd369d384.gif

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.1ef346bd3c5d2ef4eb2492f1fb5022ef.png

EC mean has trended the wrong way....

Clearly the flatter solutions have grown in number for the longer term...

Is that a mean chart for 10 days away? Don’t look for trends, positive or negative, using those...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

yes i know...

2 times a day

14 times a week

56 times a month

and 672 times a year☺️

but i know what you mean

maybe something's a foot this time though...

is that snow>>>tumblr_p9rdezwBsr1qfr6udo1_400.thumb.gif.6b760687ed8d3d336a26ca1bd369d384.gif

Maths not your strongest quality?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
43 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The options on the table seem to be cold to varying degrees in the medium term .

Which is a lot better than some of the horrors that coldies could have been subjected to .

The run upto Christmas and the day itself also still has a degree of uncertainty in terms of depth of cold and the chance of any snow .

Overall as much as I’d like to wheel out my crunchy snow and ice day alert, that has to wait but  the outputs are still very encouraging . :santa-emoji:

Amber lights ready

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
7 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Maths not your strongest quality?

Unfortunately,...NO 

Geography is.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Clusters from ECM T192-T240:

B4292FCE-A8F8-454E-A0E1-3EB39B876C61.thumb.png.3d3d76c1577e4212488ca22b74d12a84.png

Cluster 1 is the one we want.  Cluster 2 looks a bit weird from current situation.  We don’t want cluster 3.  

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

EPS are flattening out big time.

Any idea why?

My first thought is the response to the first slight warming is to push the PV back to Canada where it can fire up the Atlantic jet. The second much more substantial warming begins after Boxing Day and peaks on the 30th effectively splitting the strat and far FI has a hint of warming over America which would be fascinating.

Perhaps the EAMT signal isn't as strong as some envisaged.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.1ef346bd3c5d2ef4eb2492f1fb5022ef.png

EC mean has trended the wrong way....

Clearly the flatter solutions have grown in number for the longer term...

Maybe in that snapshot in time It’s pretty promising  when you see beyond  :santa-emoji:

36F6510B-5FD5-4CFF-B3B9-467A02D12353.thumb.gif.6ed461ce2bd1e24fb16befe6af9cdcde.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, stodge said:

Any idea why?

My first thought is the response to the first slight warming is to push the PV back to Canada where it can fire up the Atlantic jet. The second much more substantial warming begins after Boxing Day and peaks on the 30th effectively splitting the strat and far FI has a hint of warming over America which would be fascinating.

I don’t think so, I think there is a two way split in possible evolutions from here, it either does the Greenland high or it doesn’t. That’s down to the upstream evolution.   And obviously mean plots will be a blend of those two scenarios which are quite different.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

EPS are flatening out big time.

15 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM ensemble mean and spread T240:

8956AFD5-40C5-40D4-977E-D2877DE33AF5.thumb.png.c53f3bdfd8f6c60d3c59eec306f1c9a6.png2CB70ECA-9355-42E6-8AC3-1C91453EC584.thumb.png.ff674c55778afc98351b551e07b5af0b.png

As often the case the spread is more illuminating, that red area tip of Greenland is important, will it or won’t it?  I know some have made up their minds, but for me it is too close to call, frankly,  

The spread reflects mid Atlantic ridging into that area - doesn’t necessarily lead to a colder outcome for the U.K. but the clusters tell a better story than the mean. 

what the 12z runs have done is indicate that the upstream amplification will probably be there to send the trough nw/se .....we won’t get a handle on that for a few more runs yet but hopefully there’s some cross model agreement before too long

good to have some interesting trop patterns to look at whilst also watching gfs op now showing a tech SSW by day 15.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, stodge said:

Any idea why?

Or the ECM has spat out a run from cluster 3 of the clusters. 

More runs needed. No need to get too high when things are going well or too low when things arent going great. 

Its model watching. Its the weather. I still favour the GFS for reasons mentioned earlier 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, stodge said:

Any idea why?

Not sure tbf, i really am concentrating on the top of the strat (rightly or wrongly), so i hope that EAMT event is strong, last few runs have shown a stretched vortex at 10mb but not nearly a split, which it was showing a near split a few runs ago, i say near split because i don't class these as a split. 

image.thumb.png.45374d1db450a1ebeb93eda8bc1a2886.png

Todays as you'll see is a downgrade.

image.thumb.png.fb4b9ecf6b91b969e5874c10fc7ac4e1.png

There is a reversal or near reversal at 1mb but i wont be popping the corks until i see a proper split with 500 to 1000 miles in between the daughter vortices and heights over Greenland in the mid strat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Oh my, the cfs isn’t looking very wintry next month..but fear not, the opposite will probably verify!

A75D6182-C4E6-499B-935D-9A22B7FC2191.thumb.png.115ea06b6c12c38b5e2088b19e1cf8b8.png

• Like 2

Posted

Look at the snow risk for Plymouth on 28th / 29th  at sea level !

P.S re the EPS I’ve lost count how many times in the last month they have ‘awesome’ only to not verify so me reason think they are correct this time ??‍♂️

3FB2F37F-B18C-4076-993C-E42ECEC68556.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The spread reflects mid Atlantic ridging into that area - doesn’t necessarily lead to a colder outcome for the U.K. but the clusters tell a better story than the mean. 

what the 12z runs have done is indicate that the upstream amplification will probably be there to send the trough nw/se .....we won’t get a handle on that for a few more runs yet but hopefully there’s some cross model agreement before too long

good to have some interesting trop patterns to look at whilst also watching gfs op now showing a tech SSW by day 15.

Definitely interesting trop wise but as you can see by Mike's post that the uncertainty lessens the further you go North to Northern Greenland so again until the SSW, it just looks to me that the atmosphere isn't primed for very high lat blocking, its happening time and time again, but still snow threat of some description in the meantime while we wait.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
31 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM ensemble mean and spread T240:

8956AFD5-40C5-40D4-977E-D2877DE33AF5.thumb.png.c53f3bdfd8f6c60d3c59eec306f1c9a6.png2CB70ECA-9355-42E6-8AC3-1C91453EC584.thumb.png.ff674c55778afc98351b551e07b5af0b.png

As often the case the spread is more illuminating, that red area tip of Greenland is important, will it or won’t it?  I know some have made up their minds, but for me it is too close to call, frankly,  

Yes Mike,those charts look decent to me. And I'm not to concerned with the ECM ens...a fair amount of spread even though at face value the mean 850s have increased..just viewed the extended to day 14,and they do fall away again. Know complaints from me.

graphe0_00_257_99___.png

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Maybe in that snapshot in time It’s pretty promising  when you see beyond  :santa-emoji:

36F6510B-5FD5-4CFF-B3B9-467A02D12353.thumb.gif.6ed461ce2bd1e24fb16befe6af9cdcde.gif

13 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

When you consider what we’ve had for the last few winters, that is a cracking mean.

• Like 2