Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
22 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Felt it was looking a tad better between 144 and 174 with that low climbing further west up against Greenland.. however it really seems to have become progressive afterwards and this 186 is flatter that the previous by day 9 we are much flatter upstream, high topples and vortex forming to our next west. Appears that gfs wishes to remind of us last night.....

image.png

Yes, going on its progressive way as per.

I only take note of it upto 92hrs or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I'd suggest anything going forward is probably going to come from the nnw. Atlantic ridging ete looks the form horse with the jet going sse. Possibly into early January but has folk have said very fluid output 

• Like 1

Posted

A wide range of outcomes in the ensembles out to 180... GFS struggling to resolve movement of that low out of the states.. 

I wouldn't rule anything out untill we get ECM and ukmo down to 144 for the  Xmas period.

P16 is good again.

GFSP16EU06_174_2.png

GFSP16EU06_174_1.png

Edited by Battleground Snow
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted

The beginning of a significant warming continues to get closer not far in FI now. Impressed by how persistent GFS has been.

8D398A1B-3E69-4585-B2F0-2CB1D8514415.thumb.png.74d08313ce824b4c8203ad10d92eaa69.png21AADC07-8C67-4CC7-AF34-514555E83BD0.thumb.png.7637b1fa2c60e36922e1aabf0d2bec02.png

I think we should expect a quite weak vortex into early January which should ease fears if disconnect fades we’re doomed, it will take a boost over next week but this is looking temporary....

49614E1E-1192-47E9-9FB8-BF20C32714BB.thumb.jpeg.2dbfa4e24ce546fd24940d697989b0af.jpeg

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

For those who say a vortex chunk has never hit the UK with bitter cold before, i refer them to this chart.

image.thumb.png.1daf058c1da9f97b35919d857a69ff95.png

All snow convective event even for Liverpool, not even close to being rain.

Yes. Indeed. It was a fantastic time. I doubt I'll see anything like it in my life time again

• Like 3

Posted

The atmosphere certainly seems to prediposed to ridging and blocking at the moment, but the cards just aren't falling for us right now. 

I think it's just a matter of time until we hit the jackpot personally.  I'd love a January freeze up, when there's a prospect of any snow hanging around for several days, as opposed to the new fangled cold spells we tend to get in March nowadays!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Crazy chart to end latest GFS run if you believe it. Don't think I have seen so many individual low pressure cells on a chart like below. Think I counted 8 or 9 !

C

GFSOPEU06_384_1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Looking at the 850's scatter at just 120-144 on the 6z GEFS highlights the uncertainty in the short-term.  Can't say I study them in depth, but I would have thought that differences of more than 10c between the highest and lowest at that range is unusual?!

image.thumb.png.426b6c6f0460977f59dff5d10f38861e.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Just now, Ice Day said:

Looking at the 850's scatter at just 120-144 on the 6z GEFS highlights the uncertainty in the short-term.  Can't say I study them in depth, but I would have thought that differences of more than 10c between the highest and lowest at that range is unusual?!

I would not say so in the winter.

More unusual in summer given the narrower 850 range that we tend to see.

27 minutes ago, swfc said:

I'd suggest anything going forward is probably going to come from the nnw. Atlantic ridging ete looks the form horse with the jet going sse. Possibly into early January but has folk have said very fluid output 

I think this post nails it.

I'd only add that there's the ever present risk of a return to flat zonality but, if not, then this is likeliest scenario and one we've seen all too often in recent years. Not bad for Scottish ski resorts when the gales abate enough for the lifts to open. Any sustainable block looks very unlikely to me and there is a notable absence of cold pooling in places which once upon a time we could bank as certainties: over Russia into Siberia and Scandinavia, even Eastern Europe. It's just not there at the moment.

I feel like we are Canute before the incoming tide. There's no escaping the fact that climate change has altered our winters.

Don't shoot me. It's not my fault.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Just now, West is Best said:

I'd only add that there's the ever present risk of a return to flat zonality but, if not, then this is likeliest scenario and one we've seen all too often in recent years. Not bad for Scottish ski resorts when the gales abate enough for the lifts to open. Any sustainable block looks very unlikely to me and there is a notable absence of cold pooling in places which once upon a time we could bank as certainties: over Russia into Siberia and Scandinavia, even Eastern Europe. It's just not there at the moment.

I feel like we are Canute before the incoming tide. There's no escaping the fact that climate change has altered our winters.

The lack of cold pooling is just a symptom of the synoptics we have seen over the recent month though. There are certainly some very cold areas in the Northern Hemisphere, areas of Siberia are touching -40c 850s.

This can also quickly change as well, more especially now we are into 'proper' winter.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
8 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Interesting chart that.

The spread at 850 level seems far greater than the spread at 500 level.

Also with regard to the 850s the spread seems greater at days 4-6 than it does at days 7-8?!

Interesting model watching that is for sure and far better to keep tabs on that than looking at long fetch South Westerlies! 

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted

The question to ask is

Which of the model runs out to 240h looks, regarding say the 552 DM line the most like the 500 ,b anomaly charts I showed earlier. They have a much higher probability of showing pretty closely what the 500 mb flow will be 6-10 days from now and probably a few days beyond that?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The scatter on GEFS suggests lots of uncertainty with how this low behaves to our west as we head through the early part of next week.

Which of course has a knock on effect for Christmas and beyond...

Lots of interesting charts so I suspect this thread might be busy for a wee while !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

I have just watch a very interesting video from a uk organisation ( who we can’t mention) and it was a in-depth view for next week, they highlighted the massive uncertainty on the low coming off the ESB, there models were all over place and the presenter kept highlighting the uncertainty, now if this organisation with all there computing power and data don’t know then how are we supposed to know, and yes I know some are just saying what the models are showing! But I think we have a very interesting week ahead, I wouldn’t  write anything off just yet!! God willing we will get a cold Xmas albeit snowless for many but I think the fun and games may and I say may begin after and in to the new year (hopefully)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Nothing in the gefs suggesting a roadmap for post d8. We remain in a fluid modelling period with even the first Atlantic ridge evolution still unresolved despite the consistency of the gfs op for it to fall? The only certainty is that the ridge will build!

d9 gefs: gens_panel_ccu9.png

• Like 1

Posted

Control also goes with the sliding PV 

image.thumb.png.140f288d4f61dc79475567834179a231.png

Just a note of course that the winds are so strong coming off the NW coast that it's nowhere near cold enough to produce anything white away from the hills - Scottish resorts though would be pleased! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
10 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Runs lately show the big blocking high to the east to increase in strength over the next few weeks, remember the gfs run I posted few nights ago had 1070 hpa but quite a few runs showing 1060 / 1065 hpa. Gfs +6hr temperature chart for this afternoon 62297C89-9A75-4A31-BDAD-A85C372F0593.thumb.png.890bb0e3def1e9684a7761df8d2ece71.png plenty cold enough, associated with the section of PV and also the blocking high mentioned across Siberia / to the east ADDA09F9-982A-4855-B1AB-B019186B2D4E.thumb.png.338157eebc182e72421e30050f0aaf03.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
56 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Until we have continuity upto 144 I guess FI really is FI...

Fi so where ever that low leaving the state's today is lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

The beginning of a significant warming continues to get closer not far in FI now. Impressed by how persistent GFS has been.

8D398A1B-3E69-4585-B2F0-2CB1D8514415.thumb.png.74d08313ce824b4c8203ad10d92eaa69.png21AADC07-8C67-4CC7-AF34-514555E83BD0.thumb.png.7637b1fa2c60e36922e1aabf0d2bec02.png

I think we should expect a quite weak vortex into early January which should ease fears if disconnect fades we’re doomed, it will take a boost over next week but this is looking temporary....

49614E1E-1192-47E9-9FB8-BF20C32714BB.thumb.jpeg.2dbfa4e24ce546fd24940d697989b0af.jpeg

That's one stronghold of GFS, if there is smthg on the horzion regarding a warming, GFS is quite accurate in predicting it very soon