Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

So you’re agreeing with me then mucka .....although I think you mean more ridge on its eastern flank ??

Yes of course less amplified upstream mean less amplified downstream but then hopefully the upstream block then deflects the jet se if the upstream is flattish and won’t do the job for us 

Yes except I think you left out an important factor when putting everything on the upstream pattern post 144. 

I am just saying the downstream pre 144 affects the amplification upstream because the more S the low drops the more the Azores high is displaced (squeezed) NW which affects the angular momentum of that low and amplification whatever is being modelled for it upstream.

Take this GFS run as a comparison.

Look at the angle of high/ridge in the Atlantic (I do mean to the W of the trough to our N) and how far South the trough is . The further S that pushes the more it displaces that high NW which means the next low running against a more amplified pattern

gfsnh-0-162.png?6

Now compare that chart with ECM this morning

ECH1-168.GIF

Look at the same things. The trough is not as far S and moving a little more E rather than S because the ridge in front of it is stronger and deflecting it which means the high isn't squeezed NW.

The upstream lows have pretty much the same timing but one is being forced more NE because the Atlantic ridge is further N.

Yes that low will have slightly different angular momentum run to run as well which complicates things but basically the further N the Azores high gets displaced initially then the more likely that next low is forced up the NE coast of Greenland and not sneaking through to its SW to flatten the pattern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Still remarkable to see that chunk of the PV so consistently modeled to sit over us!..

72DC0FE6-1AB5-4BD5-8D96-AF3E88E3ACA1.png

With that pv sat very close over uk what sort of weather conditions could uk experience thanks.

Posted

Bizarre that so many on here are feeling downbeat this morning. Remember last winter vs what is projected here?

spacer.png

Edited by Blessed Weather
Unnecessary word removed
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Now into FI, so just for fun, but we're possibly going to see the run of the winter so far here!

image.thumb.png.42f624ccd967f19d2fe4350f7b64863e.pngimage.thumb.png.1d9bb6c73364770c8cc112af80a639b8.png  

Proper cold approaching from the ENE

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Another thing to consider although miles away and probaboy mute for that reason is with the heights being so low the 850s around -3 to -5 will be sufficent for snow this time of the year. We wouldn't be looking at convection either as its an area of low pressure coming south from the pole. I think we need to stay on the fence but be glass half full here. Worse case scenario is a seasonal spell of weather with more oppoprtunities for upstream to play ball and a ssw (which i think is 85-90%) to come.

Wed have taken this when seasonal models were spewing out doomday +NAO scenarios. REALLY interesting set of 12z to come

Surface Thicknesses under the slow moving deep trough days 9/0 in the low 520’s ........  definitely suitable for snowfall without an onshore flow to moderate the temps near coasts

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

A bit like 4th Dec 2020? uppers look pants! FI I know

gfs-1-198.png?6

From memory we had uppers of around -2/3 on the 4th. These are a few degrees cooler with much lower heights. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Scandinavian High. said:

With that pv sat very close over uk what sort of weather conditions could uk experience thanks.

It’s no longer part of the pv but it contains some air that once was ........  have had this discussion before on here - some think it still is part of the pv but I think description of it as such misleads people as to what conditions really would be in winter actually under part of the vortex ....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Surface Thicknesses under the slow moving deep trough days 9/0 in the low 520’s ........  definitely suitable for snowfall without an onshore flow to moderate the temps near coasts

Yeah compeletely agree! Those thicknesses bring down the freezing level without the need for sub -8 upper air temperatures

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, here we are at Day 10... and what a right bloody mess, but at least it'd be a sleety, snowy mess?!:santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Could we tap in to that deep cold that's away to the NE? I certainly hope so! Though, for balance, we might end up with a 2018-19: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yeeesss... Oh dear - 21C in February?!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

With low pressure systems spinning around and such low thickness then there would be some snow. Might not be ice days and could be a bit marginal at times but still a good chance die most

CF93A665-49CB-4674-AE5D-9F5E0F4BB3D2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

New Years Eve on the GFS 0z and 6z - I'd happily take either!  GFS sticking to its guns for now, let's see how the 12z's go

image.thumb.png.28d9d0885bd22da419ea2bac22fc042e.pngimage.thumb.png.f037a33e6b37cbd7d76503779d6870d1.png  

• Like 7

Posted

A nice GFS run but issues with the low not getting sufficiently se .

If that’s modeled to be a weaker affair and can centre further to the se then that would up the ante .

Regardless the infamous shortwave which tracks across the USA doesn’t support the UKMO solution and that’s a reason to be cheerful ! 

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

So, here we are at Day 10... and what a right bloody mess, but at least it'd be a sleety, snowy mess?!:santa-emoji:

Could we tap in to that deep cold that's away to the NE? I certainly hope so! Though, for balance, we might end up with a 2018-19: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yeeesss... Oh dear - 21C in February?!:drunk-emoji:

That small low off the east coast which wont of course end up this way would in theory bring a swathe of snow across the isles on its western flank

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Control going the same way

Indeed and more importantly there are a few more ensembles following the OP compared to the 00z run... Could improve the long term mean slightly going forward

Edited by Battleground Snow
Typo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

We still can't seem to draw that -16c air over Norway towards us, no matter how good or poor the ridge is, not on ops or any ensemble members.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

I think the 00z ensembles were probably the best mean so far so let's see if we can beat it.

GFS Op runs have been very consistent but the ensembles have been dragging their heels.

Ensembles look better!!!if gfs 12z shows the same then i expect ecm to show a brilliant run this evening!!to be fair ecm was not far off at 168 hours!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

GFS shows a strong ridge but doesn’t hold onto the true GHP and is gone come New Year.....but for us at that point it makes little difference for the Xmas week. It’ll just affect going into January....and that is still well into FI.  Very good run again, little details still to adjust but overall very good

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I'd certainly take this... were on offer for tomorrow! All the ingredients are there: low heights, light winds, wintry precipitation and freezing fog... What's not to like?:santa-emoji:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Something else to add into the mix!!

Will it happen?? Only time will tell!

27A26D2F-7CD3-4B0E-BF20-CE6D336E8B1B.jpeg

Edited by fromey
  • Like 9