Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Away on hols in Hutton Le Hole NYM at the moment and spent the day in Dalby Forest. Still a reasonable amount of snow at higher levels.

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Fir, Conifer, Road, Vegetation, Spruce, Pine, Outdoors

Could contain: Tree, Fir, Tree Trunk, Road, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Vegetation, Weather, Woodland

Could contain: Tree, Fir, Path, Road, Vegetation, Outdoors, Nature, Land, Woodland, Scenery

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Yellow weather warning been issued for South Yorkshire for later tomorrow into Tuesday for Sleet and Snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

Well that snow event Thursday night was largely disappointing here, about 1.5" snow is shocking from 24 hours snowfall with the temperature close to freezing.  Had the previous few week been cold and frosty rather than mild we would have been looking at about 8" of snow.. As the air was cold enough but the ground/soil temps where just too tempered from previous mild spells. Also when I lived on leeds road otley 330ft, rather than town centre 200ft the difference could be 6" propper snow cover to 2" slush in centre! So really in borderline snow events ya want to be above 100m baring the odd exception. 

The Meto warning was a complete flop for low lying areas. 

Many schools shut early for around 3-5cm of snow the following morning that was gone by lunch time. 

The forecast was far too bullish for 10-20cm in low lying areas. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

Gotta say though Sheffield area really is becoming snow capital of yorkshire, gotta have had the most big snow events since 2010. 

As I am sure many Sheffielders will allude to we tend to get big falls of snow or none at all It is not very often we get just dustings of snow. 

The fall of snow we just had surely has to be a record for length of snowfall too must have easily been 28-30 hours none stop snowfall in the Southern half of Sheffield/North Derbyshire. 

Had this event taken place in late November early December  like 2010  I reckon many parts would have come close to surpassing it. 

But what put pay to the chances of that was the lack of intensity of the snow for periods in the day which lead to thaws of the laying snow.

I am sure those with more knowledge than can give a better explanation but I think it is the length of daylight and ground temperatures that played a big part in us not seeing falls that we experienced in 2010. 

One thing is for sure we must have the most extreme differences in weather pf any English city. 

You can go from 1 part of Sheffield and there be no snow and be pouring down with rain and then you could travel to another part of the city and it be a raging blizzard and a ft of snow. 

2010 was something else though and totally different set up we got stuck under a persistent streamer and ended up with 2ft in places yet places 15-20 mile either side got a fraction of that. 

It would be interesting to know if there is a  scientific reasoning for it rather than if being luck of the draw. 

Edited by Derbyshire_snow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
5 hours ago, SouthYorks said:

Away on hols in Hutton Le Hole NYM at the moment and spent the day in Dalby Forest. Still a reasonable amount of snow at higher levels.

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Fir, Conifer, Road, Vegetation, Spruce, Pine, Outdoors

Could contain: Tree, Fir, Tree Trunk, Road, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Vegetation, Weather, Woodland

Could contain: Tree, Fir, Path, Road, Vegetation, Outdoors, Nature, Land, Woodland, Scenery

Ey up I was in Dalby this morning. Wife was doing the 10k Forest run first thing so dropped her off and drove right through the Forest up to top bit and there was still a fair amount of snow left as you say. Forest was 3.5°C yet Pickering was already up at 9°C. Heading Hartoft and Rosedale tomorrow but I think it will be more wet than white unfortunately. You should see a covering on Moors first thing Tuesday morning I reckon from that back edge snow event, not sure about HLH but you won’t have to drive far up Blakey to find some hopefully. 

• Like 1

Posted

I dunno if its always Sheffield. Usually on this forum it's either Leeds or Sheffield. I can remember many times Leeds came up top and less times for Sheffield. But conversely the snowfall of 2010 and just gone were deeper than anything Leeds has ever seen. 

Posted
7 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

Well that snow event Thursday night was largely disappointing here, about 1.5" snow is shocking from 24 hours snowfall with the temperature close to freezing.  Had the previous few week been cold and frosty rather than mild we would have been looking at about 8" of snow.. As the air was cold enough but the ground/soil temps where just too tempered from previous mild spells. Also when I lived on leeds road otley 330ft, rather than town centre 200ft the difference could be 6" propper snow cover to 2" slush in centre! So really in borderline snow events ya want to be above 100m baring the odd exception. 

Exactly. It's the same in Harrogate. The difference between the city centre and places around it it's shocking sometimes. It's not like a 2-3cm difference. A lot of times there's a 10cm depth difference in 1.5 miles or so. Even in non marginal events. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
6 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Ey up I was in Dalby this morning. Wife was doing the 10k Forest run first thing so dropped her off and drove right through the Forest up to top bit and there was still a fair amount of snow left as you say. Forest was 3.5°C yet Pickering was already up at 9°C. Heading Hartoft and Rosedale tomorrow but I think it will be more wet than white unfortunately. You should see a covering on Moors first thing Tuesday morning I reckon from that back edge snow event, not sure about HLH but you won’t have to drive far up Blakey to find some hopefully. 

Haha, coincidence!  The runners were just finishing up when we arrived.  We were told all the walking trails were closed due to conditions underfoot so did the walk where the run had taken place in the morning but decided to go up to Adderstone Field in the afternoon.  There were a few people walking and cycling but it was pretty quiet up there.  We had all the gear ion so managed a really nice walk in the snow.

And yes, was looking at the system for overnight Monday into Tuesday. It’s my wife’s birthday Tuesday so might treat her to a trip over Blakey! 🤣 

Posted

I'm pretty sure 2010 was mostly luck. We had around 40cm in Creswell which is c. 80m asl, Worksop got similar amounts and is even lower. Western Sheffield is edge of or even in the peak district so is always going to do better than much of Leeds. As others said had this been December or January we could have added several cms in places - though ppn intensity was also an issue. 14cm in March is very good and Roundhay is only between 100 and 150m asl.

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/03/2023 at 17:37, summer blizzard said:

Snow here. Are you raining Joggs.

Sorry mate. Yes we had a cm or so before turned to rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

An early morning surprise waking up to quite a torrential downpour being hammered against the windows by the wind.  Now a very blustery day on the wolds, with grey skies & a few light showers. Mild at 10c.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

For my part of Leeds, 2010 produced about 7 inches of snow over several falls. I don’t think a sustained event to drop over a foot like in days past will happen easily again, unless it’s a once in 100 year snow event. 

Posted

The Secret Life of the Forest, currently on Wednesdays at 8pm on Ch 5, is set in Dalby and Cropton Forests and is well worth watching. I suspect the bulk of the series was filmed last summer as the sun and heat are very much in evidence.

I was in Sheffield on Easter Saturday 22nd March 2008 watching the game at Hillsborough and I never saw the late equalising goal at the far end, the snow was that heavy. I suspect if the game had gone on for another 10-15 minutes, it would have had to have been abandoned. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Well lunchtime today, very strong winds and mild, Wind force 7-9 SW, temps at 12c. Bike ride into the wind was a slog, had to cut short as it was taking too long, managed just over 8 miles in all. Last 10 minutes also produced a light shower. In all a horrible day for cycling, dont like mild, dont like strong winds, dont like rain.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, mike57 said:

Well lunchtime today, very strong winds and mild, Wind force 7-9 SW, temps at 12c. Bike ride into the wind was a slog, had to cut short as it was taking too long, managed just over 8 miles in all. Last 10 minutes also produced a light shower. In all a horrible day for cycling, dont like mild, dont like strong winds, dont like rain.

Absolutely spot on Mike. I'd rather have snow than this. It's horrendous. This kind of weather kills all the trade also for businesses. There's no way anyone will even think going out under this weather. And unfortunately there's a lot of it coming in March. 

• Like 1

Posted

I think the folk of West Yorkshire near to Halifax & Huddersfield would disagree! We have had a good winter in terms of snow….we’re now having the worst of it with all this wind and rain today, it’s been awful!

Could contain: Animal, Canine, Dog, Pet, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Scenery, Ice, Tree

Posted
20 hours ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

As I am sure many Sheffielders will allude to we tend to get big falls of snow or none at all It is not very often we get just dustings of snow. 

The fall of snow we just had surely has to be a record for length of snowfall too must have easily been 28-30 hours none stop snowfall in the Southern half of Sheffield/North Derbyshire. 

Had this event taken place in late November early December  like 2010  I reckon many parts would have come close to surpassing it. 

But what put pay to the chances of that was the lack of intensity of the snow for periods in the day which lead to thaws of the laying snow.

I am sure those with more knowledge than can give a better explanation but I think it is the length of daylight and ground temperatures that played a big part in us not seeing falls that we experienced in 2010. 

One thing is for sure we must have the most extreme differences in weather pf any English city. 

You can go from 1 part of Sheffield and there be no snow and be pouring down with rain and then you could travel to another part of the city and it be a raging blizzard and a ft of snow. 

2010 was something else though and totally different set up we got stuck under a persistent streamer and ended up with 2ft in places yet places 15-20 mile either side got a fraction of that. 

It would be interesting to know if there is a  scientific reasoning for it rather than if being luck of the draw. 

That streamer you got in 2010 was akin to lake effect snow say in Buffalo or Oswego (albeit smaller level) even there when getting hammered just 20 miles away can be completly dry either side. Probably just the focal point of all the cold passing over the water and friction/lifting it creates. That was excruciating i leeds seeing all that snow just pile in a bit further south.

I cant remember if late novmber/early december was cold last year?? As don't really follow weather in winter too closely if there's no risk of snow, barring a quick scan of the charts. But just cos it's december/january/early februrary doesn't always guarantee snow accumulations in this last set-up we have had. Depends on how cold the weather has been leading up to it and a lot of hard frosts in that help massively. Look at the record snow in march 2013, Had about 10" snow at 100m with only light snow throughout the day (similar to thursday) but that time everything settled. Also it lasted a fair while after.

Also I remember a time around 2005? Middle of January with bitterly cold easterlies. Went to bed with a couple of inch on the ground temp about -1c, was forecast about 6" that night and a further 6" through the week. Woke up to an inch of slush, the ground temps where just too mild and melted the snow from underneath even though temperature right side of zero and frozen on top.. Bitterly disappointed but just shows how advantageous it is to have deep cold before snowfalls..

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
8 hours ago, Stelmer said:

For my part of Leeds, 2010 produced about 7 inches of snow over several falls. I don’t think a sustained event to drop over a foot like in days past will happen easily again, unless it’s a once in 100 year snow event. 

January 2018 did so (just about hit a foot) in an overnight fall, and I'm just down the road from you, and slightly lower elevation I suspect... Could contain: Outdoors, Shelter, Nature, Neighborhood, Ice, Weather, Chair, Winter, Housing, Snow

Posted

This is the March 2013 snowfall, not too shabby. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Winter, Weather

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

This is the March 2013 snowfall, not too shabby. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Winter, Weather

Was this around the 23rd/24th? By far the most snow I’ve ever seen that! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer18 said:

Was this around the 23rd/24th? By far the most snow I’ve ever seen that! 

Yeah a great two day spell of snow, there was still snow cover 2 weeks after as we were stuck under a cloudy easterly. 

• Like 1

Posted

Some light snow very early this morning but nothing substantial. 

Moors look white above about 300m past Bradford.