Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Into 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
1 minute ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Is there a link to this please ?

Are you referring to very cold weather/more widespread snowfall? 

Unfortunately there's a lot of uncertainty with the SSW and being that FI seems to start a lot sooner timeframe 

I do share you're frustration though 

Anything could possibly happen at this point so we just have to wait and see

For non french meteociel, arome and arpege on here

WXCHARTS.COM

A new weather forecast model data viewer for Europe and North America. Clickable forecast and ensemble plots, hourly GFS, ECMWF, ARPEGE and GEFS plots

Here is the link for Harmonie

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose de manière régulière le modèle à maille fine HARMONIE 0.03° de KNMI (météo néerlandaise) sur 2 zones (Belgique, Pays-Bas)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

What location is that for please?

West Yorkshire near Pennines 

• Thanks 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, saintkip said:

Sounds exciting. 

If you remember 2018, people were bemoaning the charts looks dry and boring even with -14 uppers moving over us. When it got in the nearer, disturbances popped up all over the place and many places got decent falls. We are only forecast -8 or -9 with higher dam heights this time, but the same principal applies. Some places will get lucky next week with moderate showers or streamers

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, saintkip said:

What day can we expect the Thames to freeze over? 

Your sarcasm is hilarious. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Hi all and a Happy New Year.

A few posts have had to be removed this morning unfortunately.

Just a friendly reminder to keep any banter with no model discussion in the relevant threads.Links are in the opening post by Paul.

Ok thanks- on we go.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

What location is that for please?

It tells you at the bottom 53.5N 1.8W

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

So looks like agreement on trough/energy dropping around 144z at the moment but could change

//

image.thumb.png.3cd5677d37e451f5a7481715fcd550b4.png

ECM

image.thumb.png.f720acee51a3dcab419cf5389c82554a.png

UKMO

image.thumb.png.7ddc6aa9c0296ad738efe6f36ccfad5f.png

UKMO looks a little suspect but should go on to drop.

Check out the 850 s  dropping between 120 and 144z

image.thumb.png.384a4795d60365d970c5700aed40158e.png

image.thumb.png.a7b9762dde9be180162bd0ffefd09125.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine
16 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Chio has pointed out quite rightly that we are getting a knackered vortex whether it splits or not. Reversal happening, westerly influence effectively ended. My thoughts though are around reformation, and I’m greedy. I want the vortex to be dead in the water for the rest of the season, and 4 weeks is not enough for my greedy side. I think if it splits we get greater longevity, and also possibly better support for undercut scenarios.

This kind of thing isn’t a 100% ticket to nirvana though. Things can go wrong, and the idea that a major split might knock our favourable current blocking pattern out of shape has to be given some thought. However - I don’t think so. If we end up with no vortex influence of any note my own personal no 1 concern would be an MJO refusing to budge from the Indian Ocean...and a phase 3/4 response that might put the trough further west into the Atlantic. We saw how the amazing sight of too much reversal back in 2018 turned what could have been a 2-3 week Beast into something shorter. So amidst the enthusiasm and awesome context a degree of caution must remain.

To conclude, and answering your question directly, I remain a bit uncertain as to whether it will split. A week ago my confidence was up....but the forecast for 4/5/6 has backed away from a split and we have to see whether wave 2 can gather again. Looking at the EPS anomalies and the strength of the EAMT happening now it is a definite possibility but I’ll keep my powder dry for a day or three longer. We are getting a good long cold spell whatever. For it to be historic I think we need significantly low CETs in both Jan and Feb and that’s what I’m crossing fingers for! 

I always love your analysis catacol it really is brilliant. Just such a shame the nearer term isn’t colder. With 5/6 degrees for the coming week and rain on the east coast this really is torture. Keep up the great work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I've looked at the EC ens for Manchester and the max as far as I can see is 3 degrees.

For the next 10 days .

With uppers around -7 for much of that time I dont think the odd dusting can be ruled out  in Manchester in this instance.

• Like 2