Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
38 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Storm Arwen forecast

image.thumb.png.2eda723a55f79535eed233e3f02595dd.pnganimzhr9.gifnmmukgust.png  have had a go at marking the wind areas image.thumb.png.b507351396ceebb62a41f7607cbb543e.png 

YELLOW LINES - I done these extending west this will be gusts from 50mph to 60mph mostly 

PURPLE AREA - I am going for *at least 120kmh gusts which is right around 75mph but as the wrf 2km gif shows and I believe thats a reason behind the red warning, there are bigger gusts mixing in so don't rule out the speed I describe in the red zones turning up in some places within the purple area at times 

RED - The zone I see having the highest shot at the gusts close to or maybe creeping above 100mph 

The pressure of Storm Arwen looks to drop to 972hPa image.thumb.png.fc14f851f844aa483e95f890d7ca9813.png

wrf and ukv close with things starting to liven up from the north from 3pm and red warning-esque conditions I am estimating starting from 6 or 7pm 

Think everyone realises the wind is the number one focus, Snow looks deepest likely eastern side of Cairngorms and as it moves into the south of Scotland / borders image.thumb.png.dd14e6ddd1c9b99b3097695ef8756da3.png

Terrific read!

I'm bailing work 3pm and taking an inland route back home. I have a bad feeling about this storm. The central heating has gone offline, so either the powers out or the broadband is goosed. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Around 1 degree here in Balmedie with snow / rain showers passing through.  Nothing settling.   Away to tie the trampoline down..  could be quite a scary   24 hours.  Stay safe folks 

• Like 9

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Well it's turned very white in Westhill, which I wasn't expecting, certainly not at this stage. Properly heavy and dry snow at times too.

Very white indeed in Westhill at 11:15 - the hill up to the Tesco Petrol Station catching out the summer tyre owners as usual!

image.thumb.png.3d8c49953da816780ab7e6e45142170f.png

Temperature has risen in last 45 mins or so as the snow is back to rain (currently 2c).  Westhill really is a microclimate as the thickest lying snow is confined to there - heading west along the A944 it's all clear  then up to Millbank.  Never ventured any further west, suspect Tillyfourie will have a covering.

Winds are now backing to the north and getting very gusty.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

It’s a very acceptable day here so far, with cloudless blue skies except on the western horizon where some big white cumuluses are just visible. You’d be hard pushed to guess anything unusual was afoot.

Temperature high was 7.8⁰C at 01:56 from where it dropped to a low of 3.0⁰C at 09:13 and now back up to 4.6⁰C, humidity is 72%, wind is 3 to 11mph north-northwesterly with a maximum gust so far of 15mph, pressure is 990.0hPa dropping slowly, there’s been 4.8mm of rainfall in the early hours and 8.4mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is below 1/8 and the dew point is at 0⁰C. Diablo, he say light showers are on the way… Useless pillock.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
On 26/11/2021 at 09:53, CatchMyDrift said:

I am sure we can ramp it up to a proper model thread barney

I'd be more worried about those "100mph+ guts" that he was on about, that must've been some vindaloo.

start speaking like Tamara and Daniel to each other and that way I won't even be understanding wtf is being said

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
On 26/11/2021 at 12:41, BurntFishTrousers said:

image.thumb.png.30c10b106d53a1f02998739c0ce536f8.png

interesting read.... what's today's covid developments though

Posted

Well, no surprise that the schools have been closed early round here.

Heavy rain now, no hint of any sleet either even though temperature is 1.6c.

Wind really picked up in the last 30mins with some violent gusts, and we're hours before the peak of the storm 

Just glad the polycarbonate greenhouse is well sheltered behind the garage in a northerly storm.

• Like 4

Posted

Lad I'm working with just got a call from his Mrs. Apparently she was out in the garden with the dogs when a 30 foot tree fell over narrowly missing her. He lives inland away from strongest winds.

Lucky lady!

Braemar snowgates already closed:

Screenshot_20211126-141439_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Hi everyone first post of the season, straight into the glory hunting with a red warning for wind trampolines tied down, evening dog walk postponed.batten doon the hatches!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sleety here just on the edge of the red warning. Wind has been strong and slowly strengthening from the NNWand backing to WNW. Temp is 2C and steady sleet. Just had to go out to blow up a car tyre as going through to Bearsden tomorrow morning hopefully. Not much fun out there already. Noticed roads are very busy and wonder if people are heading home early especially as it is Friday.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 8

Posted

@Norrance @Kirkcaldy Weather Surprised to be reporting snowflakes here in Pittenweem, big flakes in heavier precipitation. Air temperature 1.7c and wind gusty but nothing too extreme yet.

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

@Norrance @Kirkcaldy Weather Surprised to be reporting snowflakes here in Pittenweem, big flakes in heavier precipitation. Air temperature 1.7c and wind gusty but nothing too extreme yet.

Surely the earliest you've reported snowflakes

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Lights off lights on lights off.... sleety pish now as temps up to 3c.... apparently the worst of it is passing now up here for the wind, more snaw to come overnight..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Wind bad here, roaring like a train and its not due until teatime. The wind, not the train..

• Like 7