Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Winter arrives

Posted

Evening all,very difficult to take serious any charts past 144 hrs /168 hrs but encouraging to see all

agree on Scandinavian high pressure with some very cold air entrenched with it.Need to be a little patient 

next 48 hrs will show us the way,ie cold/ very cold and a Met office turn around.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
4 minutes ago, bumpydogz said:

With the greatest respect its also not about blind hope-casting. Maybe the Met with their supercomputers have got this wrong, but I would back them every time against a bunch of amateurs on a weather forum. I'm not having a go here, but the constant emotional rollercoaster on here can get quite tiresome at times.

We don’t have to ride the roller coaster of course - we can always go on the tea-cups. Off topic I know but this forum does help get through the winter  I am sat at the front with my arms in the air waiting for every twist and turn - whatever the outcome. Roll on 1947  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, bumpydogz said:

I realise that. As things stand however there is not a single model I've seen this evening that has the cold air in Europe prevailing over the westerly pressure from the atlantic. This may change of course, but for me the most likely scenarios is either for the high pressure to buckle, or for the UK to be in a col with the low stalling to the W/SW of the BIs.

Isn't that simply predicting what will happen next? How is that different from anyone else predicting cold air winning over the Atlantic?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Back to model discussion..

If you want to chat about other stuff, do so here

Any more, and posts will be moved.

Thanks.

Just to add; If you have an issue with a post, use the report button, don't reply and derail the thread even further.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 5

Posted

The ECM is all over the place . Not its finest hour given the huge differences between each run .

It still looks a bit messy with some shortwave energy phasing between day 6 and 7 which coldies could do without but at least it’s moving in the right direction .

It could with a westwards correction and a sharper upstream trough but given its 00hrs run at least it hasn’t repeated that horrid run .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The Ecm, is not perfect but it's moved it's way to the Gfs , it's much better this Evening than this morning, this morning where it showed no Scandinavian blocking, tonight it's back there

ecmt850-7.webp.7f143f52a698a6d66ae80c19eabf144c.webp

ecmt850.240-12.png

• Like 2

Posted

Well we have a battle on our hands!!

I wouldn't be too harsh on the models. Normally, when the weather is all going one way, it's easy for them. In a Scandi High attempted set up, you have weather going two ways and a collision. No wonder they find it hard to resolve.

Key time to check models is tomorrow or Tuesday, by which time we may see a better picture of how much energy really will come off the Atlantic by next weekend, as a little more energy and the easterly is a total non-starter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I actually think the ECM has shown closer to what direction we headed.
However,  I’m not keen on any Scandi HP backing west until it’s actually backing west over our shores.!!  

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well then, even the trend-setting, coffee-smelling, option-yielding GFS 12Z does not have unanimous backing for a major assault from the East: 

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

Though it is, of course, better than being whacked around the head with Nigel Farage. I mean a kipper!

• Like 2

Posted
On 28/11/2021 at 19:20, bumpydogz said:

With the greatest respect its also not about blind hope-casting. Maybe the Met with their supercomputers have got this wrong, but I would back them every time against a bunch of amateurs on a weather forum. I'm not having a go here, but the constant emotional rollercoaster on here can get quite tiresome at times.

But the forecasts from the pros are already changing to a colder outlook,after the afternoon runs.Expect the met be changing their outlook tomorrow,when you have all  the big 3 models hinting at a good chance of weather coming from the East

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
6 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

The Ecm, is not perfect but it's moved it's way to the Gfs , it's much better this Evening than this morning, this morning where it showed no Scandinavian blocking, tonight it's back there

ecmt850-7.webp.7f143f52a698a6d66ae80c19eabf144c.webp

ecmt850.240-12.png

Was the ECM that wrong this morning and now maybe wrong this evening as it’s moved too much?  Neither are mild

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

But the forecasts from the pros are already changing to a colder outlook,after the afternoon runs.Expect the met be changing their outlook tomorrow,when you have all  the big 3 models hinting at a good chance of weather coming from the East

Fair enough, and apologies if I have offended anyone with my comments. As you say, let's give the models and the experts some time to find a consensus. All the best.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters, T120-T168, the key time, and I think the Scandi high scenario is possible for the first 2, nascent Scandi heights indicated by my black pen:

C86A4AED-7016-40DF-96D1-2E22C278A08E.thumb.jpeg.95ccc83541ed2d7ddc55198c029ed04f.jpeg

Not the third.  

T192-T240, and I think the model really loses the plot here;

5A8EDFB1-A268-4FD1-A044-462A65E198AC.thumb.png.bb019de871762c72095f5653fb5380f2.png

All manner of evolutions, I wouldn’t like to pick one, I think they are all wrong!  T264+

957FB51A-95B3-48B5-B586-6E88F745A5A2.thumb.png.deab89ef4b2af0fc3e5b0b01e3eff388.png

Well the endgame is OK on clusters 1 (22 runs) and especially 2 (17 runs), this is where I think we end up at.  We will see…

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

ECM 850s ensemble graph remains quite steady. Op run looks fairly representative but I know 850s don't tell the whole story

image.thumb.png.ec2fd629f287206dbe2bc94540edc49c.png

The mild bumps that were on previous ensemble runs are, currently, being squeezed out by both GFS and ECM ensemble suits. Let's see if that continues and perhaps intensifies over the next few days

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM clusters, T120-T168, the key time, and I think the Scandi high scenario is possible for the first 2, nascent Scandi heights indicated by my black pen:

C86A4AED-7016-40DF-96D1-2E22C278A08E.thumb.jpeg.95ccc83541ed2d7ddc55198c029ed04f.jpeg

Not the third.  

5A8EDFB1-A268-4FD1-A044-462A65E198AC.thumb.png.bb019de871762c72095f5653fb5380f2.png

All manner of evolutions, I wouldn’t like to pick one, I think they are all wrong!  T264+

957FB51A-95B3-48B5-B586-6E88F745A5A2.thumb.png.deab89ef4b2af0fc3e5b0b01e3eff388.png

Well the endgame is OK on clusters 1 (22 runs) and especially 2 (17 runs), this is where I think we end up at.  We will see…

Thanks Mike. What the vast majority of those images show is that the Azores High is being prevented from forming a Euro High. With low pressure in Europe we will always have a chance of cold, wintry weather in the UK

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
On 28/11/2021 at 19:48, bumpydogz said:

Fair enough, and apologies if I have offended anyone with my comments. As you say, let's give the models and the experts some time to find a consensus. All the best.

Never take anyones snow flakes away, they don’t like it. t144 -t192 is key and tbh it’s going to take another 48 hours for that to be firmed up. That’s just 12 more runs and outputs to get through.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
6 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Not the third.  

The picture is going to be messy for a while yet, I think. So much complexity surrounding height rises NE.

In the 192h-240h frames, the Operational and the Control end up in different clusters again. That shows how much the resolution and detail matter in these scenarios.

That the majority of clusters in FI end up relatively good for coldies, and a little bit better again than this morning, that's a good sign IMO.

Anyway, for people who don't like to ride rollercoasters, this might be the last chance to get off!

• Like 5