Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
18 hours ago, kold weather said:

I used to live S.Essex which is one of the driest spots in the country so it wasn't that unusual for the grass to go yellow, even in modest warm summers. 

However I've never seen grass go quite that dead looking before, then again 0mm rain in about 40-50 days will probably do that, even if the temps aren't too extreme.

I remember going to Wales and in mid July and returning on the hottest day of the year and the grass was reasonably green still in Wales, soon as we drove about 20-30 miles into England suddenly the grass turned yellow, and then a little further inland to brown.

Amazing summer, if slightly let down by yet another less than impressive August (they've often been the lesser summer month in recent times, and only Aug 2020 had anything even approaching memorable.

I also think this August will be fairly poor, with the large caveat that anything that comes from the SW/S/SE could well be much warmer than normal due to sustained heat over W.Europe and the Bay of Biscay.

I also lived in S Essex, at one time, not far from Maldon which I believe still holds the record historically for being the driest place anywhere in the UK.  I didn’t really notice how dry it was when I lived there, but just took it for granted.  Here in Pembrokeshire we get a lot of rain and I admit I have often looked on with envious eyes at the weather being enjoyed in the south east of England - sunny, 25C+ and dry - while we have been under cloud or misty drizzle and struggling to reach 15C!   However, as I look out now on hillsides of green meadows, and a garden which remains green and healthy, with plants which are managing to find plenty of water in the soil without my help, I realise that I wouldn’t swap this beautiful countryside for sunny Essex or anywhere else in the south east.  Our copious rain is what makes this area so resistant to drought although, if the present hot dry spell continues into August, eventually even Wales will run short of water. ? ☀️☀️☀️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
28 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Already 31C in NE England. High cloud will make things hazier later in the day, but would think 33C is pretty much guaranteed, possibly a 34C.

I think the Leconfield site is still playing silly buggers. It's been wrong loads of times recently and over-reading. I would imagine the cluster at 29c is probably the true UK max at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I love the heat in Greece but when you have elderly parents, one with a lung condition and they are struggling to breathe today- let alone next week- I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a mobile air conditioning unit for them. It may not be much good but better than nothing.

• Like 4

Posted

29C, almost zero breeze today and with the UV at level 8 today it's feeling very Mediterranean today. No sign of the dreaded cloud ruining the day so far.

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

I think the Leconfield site is still playing silly buggers. It's been wrong loads of times recently and over-reading. I would imagine the cluster at 29c is probably the true UK max at the moment.

In south essex right now and max today is forecast as 29C. Hottest day of the year my ass

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, qwertyK said:

In south essex right now and max today is forecast as 29C. Hottest day of the year my ass

Who said it'd be the hottest day of the year? Forecast max in the UK today was around 32c, which seems about right given the temps so far. Not the hottest day of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Who said it'd be the hottest day of the year? Forecast max in the UK today was around 32c, which seems about right given the temps so far. Not the hottest day of the year.

Met office saying today could be the hottest day of the year. 

Posted
15 hours ago, SunnyPlease said:

It's preferences isn't it. If you don't like constant heat, dryness and sun, I can understand why you wouldn't like it. For me though, it was an absolutely wonderful summer. We get drenched nearly the year round in this country so it was absolute bliss to virtually have no rain at all for a couple of months.

Yeah 2018 was a lovely summer. Long periods of blue skies and warm to hot sunshine.

Much better than 2019,20 or 21.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Glorious here ,our warmest day of the year by some distance 28.4c here now and still rising . Perfect 

Posted

Cloudy here but warm and muggy - 26c

Not expecting much in the way of sunshine now until Thursday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber warning issued by the met offiice on Sunday for "Extreme heat"

Some exceptionally high temperatures are possible during Sunday and could lead to widespread impacts on people and infrastructure.

What to expect

• Population-wide adverse health effects are likely to be experienced, not limited to those most vulnerable to extreme heat, leading to potential serious illness or danger to life. Government advice is that 999 services should be used in emergencies only; seek advice from 111 if you need non-emergency health advice.
  • Substantial changes in working practices and daily routines likely to be required
  • Significantly more people are likely to visit coastal areas, lakes and rivers leading to increased risk of water safety incidents
  • Delays on roads and road closures are possible, along with delays and cancellations to rail and air travel, with potential for significant welfare issues for those who experience even moderate delays

Temperatures will build again later this week and over the coming weekend, likely peaking on Sunday and Monday. Some exceptionally high temperatures are possible and cumulative effects of warm nights and hot days are expected to bring widespread impacts to people and infrastructure. This period of hot weather is expected to continue into the early part of next week, hence an update extending this warning into Monday is likely.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2022-07-17&id=dc58cc70-bbf5-42f3-8814-a6736c53158d&details

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

29C, almost zero breeze today and with the UV at level 8 today it's feeling very Mediterranean today. No sign of the dreaded cloud ruining the day so far.

Spoke too soon sky is completely hazy now and that's the end of the first heatwave.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
16 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Amber warning issued by the met offiice on Sunday for "Extreme heat"

Some exceptionally high temperatures are possible during Sunday and could lead to widespread impacts on people and infrastructure.

What to expect

• Population-wide adverse health effects are likely to be experienced, not limited to those most vulnerable to extreme heat, leading to potential serious illness or danger to life. Government advice is that 999 services should be used in emergencies only; seek advice from 111 if you need non-emergency health advice.
  • Substantial changes in working practices and daily routines likely to be required
  • Significantly more people are likely to visit coastal areas, lakes and rivers leading to increased risk of water safety incidents
  • Delays on roads and road closures are possible, along with delays and cancellations to rail and air travel, with potential for significant welfare issues for those who experience even moderate delays

Temperatures will build again later this week and over the coming weekend, likely peaking on Sunday and Monday. Some exceptionally high temperatures are possible and cumulative effects of warm nights and hot days are expected to bring widespread impacts to people and infrastructure. This period of hot weather is expected to continue into the early part of next week, hence an update extending this warning into Monday is likely.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2022-07-17&id=dc58cc70-bbf5-42f3-8814-a6736c53158d&details

What absolutely strikes me about this is that the warning is for high impact - and already with moderate confidence. Literally one confidence upgrade away from becoming a red warning, only the second for anything this decade after Eunice IIRC.

I remember when Eunice hit and the warning went red for the SE only at 3:40am or so (after the TV coverage overwhelmingly focused on the Severn Estuary/Bristol Channel red area the previous night!), and some people on here suggested that there should be a "Red Watch" for the high impact/moderate confidence spot on the matrix. And here we are again. This is a Red Watch situation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
23 minutes ago, ShinyDave said:

Literally one confidence upgrade away from becoming a red warning, only the second for anything this decade after Eunice IIRC.

We've had numerous red warnings in the last decade. There was also an identical amber heat warning last year for the SW and parts of the W.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

We've had numerous red warnings in the last decade. There was also an identical amber heat warning last year for the SW and parts of the W.

Was referring to "this decade" as the 2020s, I think Eunice was the only other red one there. 2013-19 had quite a few, as you say.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
38 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Spoke too soon sky is completely hazy now and that's the end of the first heatwave.

yes. typical isn't it. Can't get a crystal clear day here EVER!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Does anyone else enjoy a mug of tea in hot weather? I'm doing more concreting today and it's always nice to stop for a brew, even when it is 28°C.

I'm the opposite with drinks, I like ice cubes and freezing drinks whatever the weather, warm (which is almost never here) or cold! I'll drink an icy drink in room temps lower than 13 degrees. 

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Something that has struck me today... even if we don't get record-breaking heat now, the last few years do seem to be establishing that 35 °C should now be expected most summers. That was not the case until very recently. Infrastructure planning etc is really going to have to take account of this - hopefully those doing the specifying for projects are not still doing so as though anything over 32 °C was exceptional in the UK, because if so they're doing it wrong - it increasingly isn't exceptional anymore.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

Cloud put a lid on the temps here too so no 30 degrees for Sheffield. Well it's only a number. Couple of warm days, working week ahead looking average and comfortable - no fuss here, very typical summer so far.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Does anyone else enjoy a mug of tea in hot weather? I'm doing more concreting today and it's always nice to stop for a brew, even when it is 28°C.

Oh yes, having one right now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

What is this cloud that suddenly appears and took away those gorgeous blue skies, how dare it I blame the MET office app for changing this afternoons forecast they've gone and jinxed it....looking like its trying to clear from the west so hopefully the sun will be back out for this evening, I'm sticking to the BBC app unless they forecast grey skies too