Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

Not good really, problem is although it's good for ripening wheat and grain, it's far more dangerous to harvest especially in stony ground with flints etc, if the combine hits a flint it can set the field on fire. 

Also other crops like spuds won't be so good or more importantly won't store for so long. 

We also have so little field grass now that winter feed is going to be in severe shortage, plus winter crops which would be sown won't be as no moisture in the ground to quite some depth now to get them going.

And this all means a further increase in food prices. This couldn't have come at a worse time.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

Sadly, we're going to be without rain for at least the first half of August, and I doubt we'll get anything significant for the entire month.

I can only imagine that risk of wildfires starting is going to be high for quite some time this month.

We can only hope in the coming months we get increased rainfall or else we are in trouble.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Yet another pretty hot day here in Gravesend, Kent again warmer than the weather forecasts will have us know! Temps didn't drop below 20c last night here and its not fat off of 30c albeit less humid now! Both car and home thermometer. I always know these are never more than 1c wrong, previous cars I've had overestimated temps by 1-2c as most seem to.

When the local forecasts go for frosts and +1c  or +2c in winter for example I know we're good here to avoid em (too mild) I always add on atleast 1.5-2c to what forecasts showed and BBC had 25c in London, and 26c in Kent 20220804_160632.thumb.jpg.8fe7b9ce189c0d2c47063f79c0c06bac.jpgwith possible 27c for usual hotpots such as here! So 29c is spot on!

20220804_155735.jpg

Posted

Some photos taken on the way home today... 

Everywhere is scorched. Last few days even large trees are starting to show signs of stress. 

Everyone... Well most should I say, are now being super careful incase of wildfires. None of the neighbours have had bbqs lately. There was one lot of idiots setting off fireworks on Saturday night somewhere over on the estate 🙄

IMG_20220804_160001.jpg

IMG_20220804_160006.jpg

IMG_20220804_160301.jpg

IMG_20220804_160306.jpg

IMG_20220804_160510.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Have been thoroughly enjoying the Commonwealth Games and good to see the weather has been kind to both athletes and spectators. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Can anybody put me int right direction to order a persnal weather station.Is there a thread or what are the best ones out there. Thanks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
20 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Is it me or hasn't there been as many moths around this year? During the summer we normally get loads of them but they seem to be in short supply this time round.

Loads up here! Every night I have windows open and get loads of moths flying in! Put a fly net up but even that doesn’t stop all of them. 😣

On 03/08/2022 at 15:41, Kentspur said:

Currently in the low 30s here though thankfully due to the skies clearing a few hours ago the high humidity seems to have dropped considerably

20220803_153443.jpg

South east England is always hot in summer these days! With it being so dry down there too it must be like being in the med down there!

On 03/08/2022 at 09:07, Nick L said:

it always puzzles me when people describe the UK weather as varied and unpredictable. It simply isn't by definition!

By definition it is and we still get our sunshine and shower days occasionally But yes it does seem to be quite bland and samey these days.

On 03/08/2022 at 15:01, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

The next 10 days or so is looking very nice indeed. Comfortably warm temps and hopefully an adequate amount of sunshine. Though it has been feeling rather humid these last couple of days.

It has hasn’t it . After the recent warm, cloudy and humid weather here, today has been completely the opposite - mostly sunny, a couple of showers in the morning. Max of only 18.3°C, now 15.9°C with only 56% humidity. Sunny too. Max dew point of only 9.4°C. A pleasant cool, sunny, breezy, fresh feeling day. 😎 My favourite kind of weather in summer. More of this please.

How to believe southerners are in a drought when the grass is lovely and green up here. Anyone envious? 😉

The weather forecast looks to be good for at least the next week here, dry with plenty of sunshine and temps slowly rising but nothing crazy warm just up to 23-24C or so.

Penzance weather forecast looks to be perfect, full sun and 19-23C.

61FE5356-9976-47EB-9A32-87D99BB09709.jpeg

F459CF34-B09A-4D06-B838-6CC41C7D45E0.png

80833AF2-7830-4A83-B5CE-769B1BDEA989.jpeg

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Loads up here! Every night I have windows open and get loads of moths flying in! Put a fly net up but even that doesn’t stop all of them. 😣

It will be spider season again in a few weeks time too. That is the one thing I don't look forward to about late summer/early autumn. Though my peppermint spider repellent seems to work well.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It will be spider season again in a few weeks time too. That is the one thing I don't look forward to about late summer/early autumn. Though my peppermint spider repellent seems to work well.

Moths seem to be in an abundance here this year (I live very rural) as well as flies. I Iike to keep the doors open for the borders to run in and out day long but this year it's terrible. I've also sheep and cows all round my property which won't help. But it's one of the worst years.. And spiders everywhere which I have to clear every few days.. 

They realy would take over the house if I didn't take action.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

That's more like it!

332724795_Screenshot_20220804-221040_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.3f4fd34cd9c24f939b1cfde3c68e01db.jpg

28 or possibly 29°C showing for next week too. Perfect!

High 20’s too hot for me, much prefer low 20’s or hi teens. Fridays forecast looks nice though.

1 hour ago, Polar Maritime said:

Moths seem to be in an abundance here this year (I live very rural) as well as flies. I Iike to keep the doors open for the borders to run in and out day long but this year it's terrible. I've also sheep and cows all round my property which won't help. But it's one of the worst years.. And spiders everywhere which I have to clear every few days.. 

God I hate spiders! They freak me out. Even have nightmares about them sometimes! 😱

A nice cool night here, currently 12°C at midnight.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
11 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

South east England is always hot in summer these days! With it being so dry down there too it must be like being in the med down there!

By definition it is and we still get our sunshine and shower days occasionally But yes it does seem to be quite bland and samey these days.

It has hasn’t it . After the recent warm, cloudy and humid weather here, today has been completely the opposite - mostly sunny, a couple of showers in the morning. Max of only 18.3°C, now 15.9°C with only 56% humidity. Sunny too. Max dew point of only 9.4°C. A pleasant cool, sunny, breezy, fresh feeling day. 😎 My favourite kind of weather in summer. More of this please.

How to believe southerners are in a drought when the grass is lovely and green up here. Anyone envious? 😉

The weather forecast looks to be good for at least the next week here, dry with plenty of sunshine and temps slowly rising but nothing crazy warm just up to 23-24C or so.

Penzance weather forecast looks to be perfect, full sun and 19-23C.

61FE5356-9976-47EB-9A32-87D99BB09709.jpeg

F459CF34-B09A-4D06-B838-6CC41C7D45E0.png

80833AF2-7830-4A83-B5CE-769B1BDEA989.jpeg

You're not wrong! A first lovely refreshing morning here after the sweatfest of the past.... weeks/months. And look whats in store for next week.. May be on for a record amount of 30+days this year! Back to high heat and humidity like where my old man's from-🇲🇺 

Screenshot_20220805-054301_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-054302_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-054304_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-054306_Met Office.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 1

Posted

Seeing members’ pics and well; here’s mine. I thought I’d look at the data and I see, since 1 Jan, six days where’s it’s rained a quarter of an inch in a day (about 6.35mm, so not even a finger nail)! Tad dry!

7E141140-0CE5-4AB7-88FF-B1509E5D9FFA.jpeg

E144665E-5BBD-43BC-B53F-D0FA8C87BB2A.jpeg

Edited by hotsummer
  • Like 2

Posted
On 01/08/2022 at 18:52, B87 said:

London's year so far updated to include July. July 2022 was the 4th warmest (+2.3c) and 3rd driest on record (17%), as well as being sunnier than average (114%).

MXNa4iE.png

This is the best summer London has had since 2018, but 2018 was better for more sunshine levels. 2022 might surpass that if it remains sunny and warm during August. 

We had a mediocre May, not a poor one like 2021, but maybe a better august overall compared to 2018, and that will be a perfect match. 

Feels fresher this morning, as the wind has changed direction, and within another month, the cooler mornings and evenings will be here. 

I don’t agree that it’s always hot in summer in the southeast.

Yes, we always get a period of hot weather, going all the way back to 1975, and even a poor summer will produce a week or so of hot temps, but we don’t always get hot summers every year. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very warm in Prague today, forecast is for a high of 35°C, it’s already 31°C at midday with little in the way of a breeze. Estofex has a level 2 alert for severe thunderstorms across much of the country for this evening and overnight, keeping fingers crossed. The rudbeckias are doing well, at least.

7AF07FCD-78E7-4F84-9A4B-815F1156DBC0.jpeg

64F4DC05-83FC-4021-81FE-C9D723DEF868.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Very warm in Prague today, forecast is for a high of 35°C, it’s already 31°C at midday with little in the way of a breeze. Estofex has a level 2 alert for severe thunderstorms across much of the country for this evening and overnight, keeping fingers crossed. The rudbeckias are doing well, at least.

Beautiful.  I’ve had a sunflower year this summer.

1E959BE3-561C-4F1D-B8F7-7217BF03047C.jpeg

C5731D8E-DC4A-42C6-BB53-C234E4E54A3B.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

A cool comfortable day today, opened the bedroom door with its bottled up cool air from the open window (north west facing) to allow some comfortable temperatures and it was very cool and comfortable in there sleeping last night..... I slept like a dog! 

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

I have loads of spiders in the house too, virtually in every room!  Not seen too many flies or moths though.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

I have loads of spiders in the house too, virtually in every room!  Not seen too many flies or moths though.

Maybe the spiders are earning their keep? Lol

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, SnowBear said:

Maybe the spiders are earning their keep? Lol

Could well be lol!

• Like 1

Posted

Last night was the first chilly night in ages. I was really cold working outside last night it felt like a spring evening. One thing noticeable about this summer has been muggy evenings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
1 minute ago, TheOgre said:

Last night was the first chilly night in ages. I was really cold working outside last night it felt like a spring evening. One thing noticeable about this summer has been muggy evenings.

Welcome to Ol Blighty 🫢

Posted

Now this is more like it! Perfect outdoor working temps we hit 20c not long after 11am and warm ever since -25c now

20220805_143326.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

64F4DC05-83FC-4021-81FE-C9D723DEF868.jpeg

Great pics. You seem to be in a semi rural location there with the open countryside and great sky views. Lucky. Could do with some of that. 😚

• Like 2