Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

15 minutes ago, Alderc said:

But that’s economics, if you pushed it to £15 p/h a Starbucks coffee goes from £3 - £5, a cinema ticket from £15- £20, a bus ticket £1.80 to £2.40 etc. you’d just end up setting off a spiralling inflation cycle and devaluing the £ even further. 

Not saying you're entirely wrong, but the fact remains that something needs to be done. A minimum wage of £10p/h would of been 'fair' in 2014-2015 when living costs were on average much much lower - especially energy prices. This is 2022 where many people are spending upwards of 70% of their total income just on rent/housing alone. It is simply unacceptable.

These ludicrous energy prices are going to totally cripple people this coming winter, and I still don't think people realize just how much. Many people will be using 100% of their income just to pay rent and for energy.

Edited by SunnyPlease
  • Like 3

The way the government handles the recent energy prices and the help they ‘gave’ away was awful. 

It government prices/caps should have been set opposed to rebates from energy companies (which rely on them getting it right) and taxation which they can dodge. 

They could have mandated a max of £1.50 per litre allowing for a retailer margin, and proper enforced caps on gas / electricity. They all could have made money and at the same time it would have immediately  stopped money leaving the pockets of those on the lowest incomes opposed to having to wait for it. 

It's always the same in this country. They raise the minimum wage but increase prices on energy, food and petrol etc so you actually end up worse off. The cost of living in this country has been way too hjgh for decades but it is now absolutely obscene. If I'm earning an average of £1100 a month and am spending £800 of that on rent and council tax alone, there is seriously something not right.

I am totally dreading this winter as I am going to be constantly potless.

Posted
57 minutes ago, Alderc said:

The way the government handles the recent energy prices and the help they ‘gave’ away was awful. 

It government prices/caps should have been set opposed to rebates from energy companies (which rely on them getting it right) and taxation which they can dodge. 

They could have mandated a max of £1.50 per litre allowing for a retailer margin, and proper enforced caps on gas / electricity. They all could have made money and at the same time it would have immediately  stopped money leaving the pockets of those on the lowest incomes opposed to having to wait for it. 

Problem is, if you have other countries willing to pay the higher prices, why is a supplying company going to sell to you for a cheaper price? 

If I have a barrel of oil I can sell to Country X for £3 a litre, why would I sell to you for £1.50? I'd just cut you off until you pay my price. 

2 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

Problem is, if you have other countries willing to pay the higher prices, why is a supplying company going to sell to you for a cheaper price? 

If I have a barrel of oil I can sell to Country X for £3 a litre, why would I sell to you for £1.50? I'd just cut you off until you pay my price. 

But it’s about the government help. They should have made the deals with the energy companies opposed relying on the deal being between us and the energy companies. 

Also France ( I don’t like them) but they only allowed a 4% hike in energy costs and do you honestly think petrol Is £2 per litre in places like China or India?

Finally The math does add up, especially when we produce 64% of our natural gas and another 25% comes from Norway……

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

For me, the only thing I hate heat-wise is the eventual build-up of the indoor temperature - it becomes annoying if trying to concentrate on various projects or when playing the piano and other things requiring a lot of concentration. Most warm snaps in the UK I find too short lived to heat my apartment much, as I face NW, and opening a window at night typically cools things down fast. However, if we get something quite warm for an entire week, which is generally rare, if can get quite "stuffy" inside. The actual outside temperature itself, however, doesn't bother me much, probably because it's usually always cooler than outside when I go back in again. 

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
7 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Given that Netweather has a male membership bias, do we think that there's a macho tendency in the Models thread to describe 40C+ in positive terms?

This is interesting as an observation because men on average have lower temperature preferences (obviously there's significant individual variation) so in theory the more viable "macho tendency" would be to describe intense cold in positive terms!

Perhaps the model discussions specifically are drawn towards hyping Historic Events, given their inherent focus on details and specific outcomes. Obviously some people genuinely love the heat (while others, like me and presumably others posting in this thread given its title, genuinely loathe it), but I think that might be the actual bias at play.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Thankfully the heat has been downgraded, still horrendous but could have been worse. Going to be a long, very uncomfortable week, literally counting the days to when normal summer returns, this current set up is vile.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Thankfully the heat has been downgraded, still horrendous but could have been worse. Going to be a long, very uncomfortable week, literally counting the days to when normal summer returns, this current set up is vile.

I agree. It's gonna be hard but we will get through it. Met Office app for Leeds is saying a min of 21ºC tonight. Ouch.

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
15 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

I agree. It's gonna be hard but we will get through it. Met Office app for Leeds is saying a min of 21ºC tonight. Ouch.

Well, I don't know naff all about these models but I hope the awful temps talked about yesterday don't come to fruition.  To me that seems to be very major heat and threatening to people's health and welfare, as well as animals.  As it is, I agree its going to be  a difficult week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I was just perusing Trevor Harley's info about 1961; apparently, that year's high was 33.9C. I can still just about remember that time, what with the posters re saving water etc. Was that the max for the entire decade? These days, a summer that doesn't see records like that would be seen as 'rubbish' by many!

PS: Being only 4 at the time, the heat didn't bother me. But sunbathing on an ants' nest did!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: You can always put a jumper on.

Feels a bit cooler in here.

Absolutely disgustingly stinking hot elsewhere.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Had four hours sleep last night but haven't beaten the no sleep i got when our room got to 33c one year. Our super duper fan will be making its way there if it gets that hot which is quite likely.  It is a godsend. Even so we hit 31c and we have a mini version of the down stairs one which makes it more bearable, all windows open and another fan just by the bed. Coolest room was the en -suite where the cat was. 

was 21c outside when we went on the school run. At least there is a breeze atm.

• Like 1

Posted

Definitely getting to the point where it's just too hot for me, and not even at 30C yet. 

I honestly don't know what I'd prefer - a plume event that breaks down in a couple of day or less extreme heat but a much longer lasting bout of it. 

At this point we seem to be getting both! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
21 hours ago, markyo said:

Cost.....So many are on min wage, i am 55, workshop manager, HND and HNC, 30 yrs plus exp and live now on min wage. The UK average wage is utter nonsense, it bears no resemblance to reality.

hmmm  the average workshop manager in England earns 36-40k which is 3 times the minimum wage..so you are obviously semi retired or work in a different role?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

Definitely getting to the point where it's just too hot for me, and not even at 30C yet. 

I honestly don't know what I'd prefer - a plume event that breaks down in a couple of day or less extreme heat but a much longer lasting bout of it. 

Not bad at all here, chaps: 28C but with a steady easterly coming in off the sea. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
13 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

Yup, too hot for me also I have to say and my temper is starting to get a bit ragged.  Dreading the weekend and early next week.  Trying to sew some quilting blocks together which may not be the best day to do it with this heat I have to say.   One cat has played me up about coming in and I was so busy concentrating on her I inadvertently grabbed the wrong end of the iron and have burnt my fingers …ouch! 

Posted

I am hoping the weather Gods are kind and after this heat we get some good storms. And i mean good storms.

Too hot for me now and the school run beckons. 

Going to wow everyone in my straw hat. 

• Like 2

Posted

Anyone hating heat or sun, merely needs to pop across the Irish sea to experience zero sun and endless cloud with temperatures all year round of 10c- 14c.

• Like 3

Posted
39 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Anyone hating heat or sun, merely needs to pop across the Irish sea to experience zero sun and endless cloud with temperatures all year round of 10c- 14c.

wouldn't worry me. My grandfather was Irish so it's about time i went there.

Posted

We must be blessed by the weather gods today, a steady easterly off the North Sea has sprung up and pegged temps back to about 21c after an earlier slightly higher 22/23c at lunchtime. Problem is its only a narrow strip down the coast that seems to be be benefiting, a few miles inland and the temps climb relentlessly.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
10 minutes ago, mike57 said:

We must be blessed by the weather gods today, a steady easterly off the North Sea has sprung up and pegged temps back to about 21c after an earlier slightly higher 22/23c at lunchtime. Problem is its only a narrow strip down the coast that seems to be be benefiting, a few miles inland and the temps climb relentlessly.

It rarely gets hot in Bridlington but the sun can be absolutely blistering !

A few weeks ago it reached 29c which felt very uncomfortable for this location.

Sunday and Monday (next) are looking very hot indeed across England that's for sure.

Posted
1 minute ago, matt brid said:

A few weeks ago it reached 29c which felt very uncomfortable for this location.

Yes that was a strange one, the really high temps only lasted a few hours here. Had a look at the charts, and as far as I can  see it was the relentless SW almost gale that caused the high temps, pushing back against the usual onshore sea breeze that develops here, and importing the hot air from inland areas to our west. This afternoon less than 30 miles away (Beverley) its 31c this afternoon which shows just how effective the onshore sea breezes are in keeping temperatures reasonable, even for a heat hater like me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
2 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Yes that was a strange one, the really high temps only lasted a few hours here. Had a look at the charts, and as far as I can  see it was the relentless SW almost gale that caused the high temps, pushing back against the usual onshore sea breeze that develops here, and importing the hot air from inland areas to our west. This afternoon less than 30 miles away (Beverley) its 31c this afternoon which shows just how effective the onshore sea breezes are in keeping temperatures reasonable, even for a heat hater like me.

31c in Beverley is just ridiculous. But for a good part of Yorkshire it has been over 29c today.

It can get very warm in Bridlington from a decent westerly when hot air is sitting to the west.

Certainly must be one of the coolest places in Yorkshire today that's for sure !