Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
3 minutes ago, CoxR said:

it couldn't me more clear that the ECM is wrong. I wouldn't even be surprised if we see some eastern areas getting up to 38 on Wednesday 

38 on wednesday?? are you sure...surely you mean 28?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I think we are settling on a high of 39c tomorrow. GFS goes for this, Arpege and Arome also go for 39c across Cambridgeshire.

Maybe the chance of 40c still, but lower odds than a day or so ago.

Arpege has a high of 41c for Tuesday. GFS 42c. 

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

GFS has 34’C Wednesday.

E1275CF9-8D87-4ABD-B045-ADDEB5EFD5DD.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

GFS has 34’C at midday Wednesday.

It just about does over e Anglia as it clears the plume only slowly wed am 

icon maxes around 29c on Wednesday 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This icon chart is HOT! 🤩 🥵🔥 …I think records will be mashed get smash.. 🧐…and followed by a good dose of rain / thunder… ⛈ amber..amber..amber..amber..yep..AMBER.. followed by RED.. 41 / 42c max …isn’t it exciting?…... 😱 

0DD56554-34E8-4237-BF2E-806408907279.thumb.png.1135c8cee7f5a89645f7725f605311bf.png15C8144B-B90E-4576-A5D1-260EF8E8358C.thumb.jpeg.413c0c983084aea81ae28fb756864528.jpeg3D66BB1D-21BE-4E14-86B8-E98CE8B6BE69.thumb.png.3975090a98edb1430e6c3d53b172bc53.png

Edited by jon snow
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

no, 38. May be a bit high, but with the trend to delay the break down further and further in conjunction with a trend recently to increase the intensity of the plume slightly, I think mid-high 30s isn't out of the question for Wednesday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well i was surprised at the amount of high and some medium level cloud today here in the south..

Screenshot_20220717-165729_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ab77ea37b175fc24e937337480a436ec.jpg

Despite that we reached 31 deg. For record temps i would have thought the skies would have to be clearer tomorrow at least...

Cant quite believe gfs 12z still showing 42 for Tuesday. ..🥵

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
24 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Ecm is wrong and its such a shame for a model of that calibre to not just be wrong but be STUBBORNLY wrong at a extremely short time frame!!

It came in for plenty of criticism during the last winter for its performance if memory serves.

For many years it was a concern if the ECM didn't buy into what the GFS and others were heralding.

However,we won't go there with 'That ECM' that bombed out on an Easterly within 96hrs in a Winter past.🤔

Never thought the GFS would be my 'go to' model but it has performed pretty well this last 12 months.

Think it nailed the winter named storms well in advance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
Just now, CoxR said:

no, 38. May be a bit high, but with the trend to delay the break down further and further in conjunction with a trend recently to increase the intensity of the plume slightly, I think mid-high 30s isn't out of the question for Wednesday

At the very least this has to increase the risk of Tuesday night being oppressive for a wider area if the breakdown slows up. GFS 12z already has 27C minimum for Humberside (I still can't calculate that registering as a real thing that might really happen) and 24C for basically anywhere along and east of the A1 corridor.

image.thumb.png.216527fbfb764ff5900b09602f03641b.png

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Well i was surprised at the amount of high and some medium level cloud today here in the south..

Screenshot_20220717-165729_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ab77ea37b175fc24e937337480a436ec.jpg

Despite that we reached 31 deg. For record temps i would have thought the skies would have to be clearer tomorrow at least...

Cant quite believe gfs 12z still showing 42 for Tuesday. ..🥵

Yeah,said the very same thing earlier.

We cleared cloud at times this afternoon and nudged 30c in SE London,but heating quite inconsistent from 1230pm.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, ShinyDave said:

At the very least this has to increase the risk of Tuesday night being oppressive for a wider area if the breakdown slows up. GFS 12z already has 27C minimum for Humberside (I still can't calculate that registering as a real thing that might really happen) and 24C for basically anywhere along and east of the A1 corridor.

yes pretty amazing really,but its monday night into tuesday the very warm night isnt it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

I’m just gonna leave this snap here via 12z gfs.. and let the suite unfold.. then come bk and comment!!!

9C572CAF-FAF5-47B2-9B95-4B605F5062BC.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

yes pretty amazing really,but its monday night into tuesday the very warm night isnt it?

That's how it's looked (and is certainly the most widespread, entirety of England and Wales with a tropical night forecast by the looks of this 12z!) but a slower breakdown would set up a lot more places to have a second such night even if it then doesn't hang around long enough for a third straight historically hot day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

For those who thought Wednesday would be cool!!!!!!!!!…think again! 😜 

B54B12B1-BB45-4FEE-99CD-68340C107506.thumb.png.719d7fc576881d86a1bd4d53e39e6ad4.png

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, ShinyDave said:

At the very least this has to increase the risk of Tuesday night being oppressive for a wider area if the breakdown slows up

Dewpoints back up to their normal stuffy levels, too, by the end of Tues. Looking very uncomfortable indeed, with limited ability to sweat out a reasonable nights sleep!

dp.gif

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

I’m just gonna leave this snap here via 12z gfs.. and let the suite unfold.. then come bk and comment!!!

I love your posts! As a complete novice, why are you so intrigued by this chart?

Posted
11 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Is it because low to the sw is going to draw up exceptional hot air again 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 minutes ago, jon snow said:

For those who thought Wednesday would be cool!!!!!!!!!…think again! 😜 

B54B12B1-BB45-4FEE-99CD-68340C107506.thumb.png.719d7fc576881d86a1bd4d53e39e6ad4.png

A pleasant 20c here. I’ll take that.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

20 minutes ago, ShinyDave said:

That's the maximum recorded in the hours (3 or 6 perhaps?) before 3am GMT (4am BST), rather than the minimum of the night.

Edited by h2005__uk__
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Afternoon all,

So the swinging pendulum that is model output is swinging less and less as we come within 48hrs. The last few runs on most models have slowed things down a touch (including the front on Tuesday) which has given us that wiggle room. We (as in people who want new records) needed that as there's less way for it to go further East now.

My main point however is how we will be entering unchartered territory from tomorrow. The models simply don't have the experience of these temperatures in this part of the world. We are talking a couple of degree differences which I don't feel even the best models can nail on in this unusual scenario.

Lots of variables; cloud, wildfire smoke, humidity, ground moisture, wind etc etc which can alter heating affects of the sun. 

Personally, especially after the 12z GFS, I'm going to give the chart watching a rest now and take my seat with a cold drink and popcorn. 

The show is about to begin. Stay cool, stay safe and enjoy. Lets go! 🌞🔥

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, h2005__uk__ said:

That's the maximum recorded in the 6 hours before 3am GMT (4am BST), so likely to be the temperature at 10pm.

Below is the actual minimum on Tuesday night according to today's 12z GFS.

image.thumb.png.e4792bd5f45896626ed3aeff7fe6e6bd.png

• Like 1