Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
12 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

This mornings was showing a Urals block...

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Doodle, Drawing

as does the CPC but no sign of a Atlantic ridge.

814day_03.thumb.gif.ff2e2155d3b7b05d6262cfbc0c013192.gif

Shhhhh .... dont tell cold lovers something they dont want to hear! lol

EPS agrees too - no Atlantic ridge other than a transitory feature . Maybe this is why so many dont like the Anomalies - they seldom show support for a favoured cold op chart.

But they are only predictions, maybe there will be an Atlantic ridge, we will see.

Could contain:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Shhhhh .... dont tell cold lovers something they dont want to hear! lol

EPS agrees too - no Atlantic ridge other than a transitory feature . Maybe this is why so many dont like the Anomalies - they seldom show support for a favoured cold op chart.

But they are only predictions, maybe there will be an Atlantic ridge, we will see.

Could contain:

Be that as it may!  It’s only at day 16 on the odd GFS run at the mo.  I am struck by the 4 wave pattern on the EPS anomaly chart you post there, we are approaching winter with a very meridional jet stream, which means stuck patterns are likely, and I guess for coldies that means chancing to be on the cold side of one when the music stops…

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
13 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

No real cold prospects at the moment. Anoms just show a continuation of what we've had recently - winds mainly from the W/SW/S, so plenty more mild and blowy weather on the way over the next couple of weeks.

Could contain: Plot, TextCould contain: Plot, Map, Diagram, Atlas

Yes ,normal November filth😩

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Things are clearly not looking too good for anyone looking for cold rain just now: that high-pressure area over Europe has waxed & waned for months on end. But, in one way, that's okay -- it wasn't until the last full week of November 1978 that something similar broke down...🤔

Could contain: Map, Diagram, Plot, Nature

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Mild charts just get milder and continuing for the forseeable with warm west southwesterlies!!!wake me up from this snoozefest when something exciting is on its way lol!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

00z Ecm again showing more prominent and indeed perhaps more sustained ridging from the south ( a cold lovers nightmare ) going in to week 2 of Nov. As I highlighted in my previous post the most likely way this will play out is with the huge swathe of heights to the south eventually weakening weather systems coming in off the Atlantic resulting in a marked decrease in precipitation. As for any ridge migrating north, I think any meaningful attempt will be scuppered come the time by the northern arm of the jet suppressing the high. Temps naturally would remain average or slightly above for the foreseeable.

Could contain: Plot, Map, Diagram

Edited by Newberryone
Including weather chart image
  • Like 1

Posted

The GFS 6z ens look very mild but the synoptic charts are signalling lots of northern blocking. 

Could contain: Map, Diagram, Plot  Could contain: Map, Diagram, Plot, Atlas, Nature  Could contain: Plot, Nature

Still in Fl but hopefully we see further developments. 

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

2010 was very much a calm year for the Atlantic and the start of drought conditions across much of the UK.  Wouldn't surprise me if synoptics follow a similar route with a quieter than average Atlantic.

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
3 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

2010 was very much a calm year for the Atlantic and the start of drought conditions across much of the UK.  Wouldn't surprise me if synoptics follow a similar route with a quieter than average Atlantic.

Wasn't the North Atlantic Hurricane Season also a late starter and silent one?

? 2010 Atlantic hurricane season was one of the most active on record...

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
23 minutes ago, Frigid said:

The GFS 6z ens look very mild but the synoptic charts are signalling lots of northern blocking. 

Could contain: Map, Diagram, Plot  Could contain: Map, Diagram, Plot, Atlas, Nature  Could contain: Plot, Nature

Still in Fl but hopefully we see further developments. 

What happened to low pressure systems barrelling across the Atlantic in autumn? Now they just get to the W/NW of the UK and get stuck 😆

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, BruenSryan said:

? 2010 Atlantic hurricane season was one of the most active on record...

I stand corrected.  But 2010 for the UK was very dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
24 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

What happened to low pressure systems barrelling across the Atlantic in autumn? Now they just get to the W/NW of the UK and get stuck 😆

We have got used to them getting stuck now, so this week might be a bit of a shock to the system.

Could contain: Ornament, Person, Human, Patternimage.thumb.png.e1bf9e93bd1f3723d7c8eff362d8834b.png

Posted

We have a shift in the general pattern we've been stuck in for 2 weeks, the atlantic has some oomph to it. Low pressure tracking through the UK pulling in more of westerly feed, still mild, but not the dizzy heights of recent days. It will feel chillier for all. As we move further into November, no major change in terms of mild theme, but continued signal blocking will hold sway, probably to the south at first, but longer term signs further north as well, a pincer attack on the trough. 

I'm reminded of 2009 which saw a sluggish jet and very mild theme, but then big switch in December, difference this time is we have had 2 weeks already of very mild, so time for change would be earlier later in the month.. 

Anyone wanting to see definate sign of a change to something colder and settled coming closer to reliable, might be best to take a break from model watching for a week or so at least.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
5 hours ago, tight isobar said:

Blank em then 🙄🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Keep posting pal cos you are one of the great contributers on here 💪👍😉

as for the models and unless the 06z gfs is picking up a signal with N blocking...

Could contain: Graphics, Art

...i see no such thing looking at the anomalies etc

ext'd EPS out to 360 hrs 500mb/MSLP and temp anomalies show a flat W/NW with temps on the mild side

Could contain: PlotCould contain: Plot, Diagram, Person, HumanCould contain: Plot, Map, Diagram, Painting, Art, Atlas

here is a look at the ECM Ensemble trajectories and as you can see out to 192 hrs we are in a neutral positon blocking wise in a slightly +NAO,obviously they only go out to 192 hrs but i will be keeping an eye on these over the next few days to see if those 192 hr(red) ens start shifting to a more favourable position(black circle)

Could contain: Plot, Diagram, Number, Symbol, Text

let's see if the 12z throws out a similar scenario to the 06z and if so,...i will start to raise my eyebrow slightly more.

kaslar.gif.70a0264e70edcf57d33ad8291875bd5f.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
5 hours ago, TSNWK said:

Over the years I've grown to really appreciate your contributions @tight isobar.. maybe guilty of a cold bias..  but hey you're in good company there and clearly knowledgeable on topic.. articulated in an unique style...you're one of my tagged posters.. 

Here's to winter 2022..

I too really enjoy @tight isobarposts I can understand them well enough . 
Posts from people I don’t understand I tend to just scroll past not slate for it 🤷🏼‍♀️ Keep posting @tight isobar👍🏼☺️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1