Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
12 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Just to reiterate on just how quick the models can flip from a strong pv to the north with Euro heights to the south to strong heights to the northwest,...yes i have picked out the 2010 Reanalysis achived charts from meteociel just to give you an example...

who would of thought that we was going to see a memorable cold spell from this chart on the 15th Nov eh!

Could contain: Plot

well i was fooled but look what happens seven days later onwards

Could contain: Plot, GPS, Electronics, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Diagram, ElectronicsCould contain: GPS, Electronics, PlotCould contain: Electronics, Plot, GPS

now come on guys we are still in Autumn and so lets sit out this mild spell and see what transpires over the coming days/weeks,...chins up boys and girls,...a looooooong way to go yet😊

oooh!!!,just checked out the 12z gfs,...this is what we want to see in terms of punching that tpv against the ropes👊💪

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Poster, AdvertisementCould contain: Drawing, Art, Person, Human, Doodle, Graphicse9d9d40eef4ab994670c08524e35bbdb.thumb.gif.af7594805dcfd9004c7a62f8a694074f.gif

Fabulous post. I for a couple of days as the responses to record breaking temps and warm end to October was convinced this was how November 2010 started. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Charts beginning to see a change to high pressure emerging in about the 10 day timeframe. Looking like heights will build in initially from the south as the jetstream shifts north. Question is where will they ultimately set up, interesting to note GFS showing an amplified jet thereafter with trough into scandi this allows the high to ridge north through UK and most likely the pull back west. Yesterday it was going for a scandi high though.. as I said the fact it is showing varied output long term is simply due to it being unclear at the moment of where heights will eventually end up.

What has been steadfast is this signal for high pressure to take over at some point in Nov, we just can't say when and how just yet.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Charts beginning to see a change to high pressure emerging in about the 10 day timeframe. Looking like heights will build in initially from the south as the jetstream shifts north. Question is where will they ultimately set up, interesting to note GFS showing an amplified jet thereafter with trough into scandi this allows the high to ridge north through UK and most likely the pull back west. Yesterday it was going for a scandi high though.. as I said the fact it is showing varied output long term is simply due to it being unclear at the moment of where heights will eventually end up.

What has been steadfast is this signal for high pressure to take over at some point in Nov, we just can't say when and how just yet.

While a drying out period would no doubt be generally welcomed I can’t help but fear this will more than likely come at the expense of a stationary high to our south which as we all know has become more and more common. Naturally the hope will be for any such high to migrate north for example or at least relocate in time to a favourable position for us coldies but unfortunately the most likely scenario to unfold in this type of setup will be for weak weather systems to skirt over the top of the high therefore generally keeping it to our south. I know the Ecm has a tendency to over amplify in Fl territory at times but this day 10 chart for Nov 9th will I hope not verify for if it does we may have to clutch at a few straws in our quest for cold going forward.

Could contain: Plot

• Like 2

Posted

I don't usually analyse each GFS run at far reaches, but I'll comment on GFS 6z interestingly it shows liw heights over central med.. can only see the high has one way to go if this verifies and that's west and north... 

The coming days will be case of looking at end of model runs to make more concerted guesses on where the high will end up, being definate on its origins at this range now is futile.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

The high over the continent is the killer just waxing and waning,  awful 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

I don't usually analyse each GFS run at far reaches, but I'll comment on GFS 6z interestingly it shows liw heights over central med.. can only see the high has one way to go if this verifies and that's west and north... 

The coming days will be case of looking at end of model runs to make more concerted guesses on where the high will end up, being definate on its origins at this range now is futile.. 

A similar feature seen here, a little earlier?

Could contain: Comics, Book

Posted
1 hour ago, johncam said:

The high over the continent is the killer just waxing and waning,  awful 

I've noticed you're appearing to be rather gloomy.. personally I think it's all good to keep it mild until December and January with early spring in February.. December and January with solar min and optimum time fie decent cold outbreaks..effective use of cold instead of wishy washy cooler snaps that still require the heating on..  

Will be well into 1st week November before central heating here I think   basically saves about 3 weeks heating so far. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Yep fair point mate , things can and will change hopefully for the best of its real winter your after but we seem to be stuck in a rut which is just rinse and repeating 

• Thanks 1

Posted

T330, I imagine this would kick start winter a few days later 👀Could contain: Graphics, Art

• Like 7

Posted
8 hours ago, RJBingham said:

GFS Still looking mild into the reliable.

Next week the vast majority of the UK will be under double digit temperatures. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Classic wishbone effect, cold enough for snow everywhere except far SW, but dry away from coasts, Pembrokeshire dangler and usual Eastern coastal areas,

Could contain: Plot, Map, Diagram

Posted
11 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

ERM!!!

i have just come in from a Sunday dinner at one of my relatives to be welcomed with this...

Could contain: Graphics, ArtCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, PaintingCould contain: Map, Diagram, Plot, Atlas, Nature, Sea, Water, Outdoors, Ocean

417752dbe73b7085f72476e29398161d_w200.gif.dc585082a51a6f5a3806d0fef96bea58.gif200w.gif.874fe282a4ec38a1dca1b48fc3860d87.gifgiphy.thumb.gif.d9810ec8e92d4d55aeb49ca795cd0272.gif

Edit: just to add(not fully out yet),the gefs ens and the gfs is on the mild side of the pack too...

Could contain: Electronics, Oscilloscope, Text, Plot

Really surprised with those ensembles around 14th.. how can that stonker of a northerly produce +5 uppers.. what on earth would be required then to produce the -5s within  that pack?... dud run?

Edited by TSNWK
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Really surprised with those ensembles around 14th.. how can that stonker of a northerly produce +5 uppers.. what on earth would be required then to produce the -5s on that run... dud run?

Read my post again bud,...i did say that the ens are not fully out yet

starting to tank cold now.

Could contain: Plot, Electronics, Oscilloscope, Text

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Forecasted 850 hPa Temp. from GFS, 12Z

• Like 7