Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

December 2022 becomes just the seventh December month with snow I remember in  my lifetime (1988 onwards) after 1995, 1996, 2000, 2009, 2010 and 2017. Absolutely tons here in Caterham.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Winter, Car, Person, Weather, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Metropolis

I recall the Christmasses of 2001 and 2004 being quite white in many places but they completely missed where I was living at the time!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, kold weather said:

That spell was very impressive obviously, but with that being said it was really only 3-4 days of proper cold, and the CET records has 5 days below 0c (and one of those literally only just at -0.1c) from that entire period. From this spell we are already at 3 such days, today will 100% be number 4, and with how low the mins are expected to be we are probably going to be in double figures by the end of this cold spell, or at least very close.

You'll probably have to go back to Jan 2013 to find a similar length of cold spell as this one is likely to be. Feb 2012 had a similar spell as well.

Anyways down here we've had a cracking ice day, and without any snow cover. That in itself is fairly rare, I can't remember too many legitimate ice days without snow cover in this neck of the woods, we normally manage to get at least into the 0.x range.

The cold this month might last longer, but at least here it’s been highs of around 2C and lows of around -2/3C. That’s definitely cold by UK standards, but nobody is going to remember it 10 years from now. Brief but more intense cold spells will be remembered for far longer - look at January 1987 vs February 1986 for example. February 1986 was colder but nobody ever remembers it compared to Jan 1987. 

Like I said, I think it’s a perfectly pleasant spell of winter weather - I love frosty, sunny, crisp days - but there’s no comparison to Feb/March 2018 in terms of interest.

On another note, it’s -4C here now, so certainly on course for the coldest night of the year. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted

Guess the fun is in the chase, rather than waiting for the end game when in sight - that it how I sense the mood in the model thread today, and deflated after the England defeat, a super Sunday hangover, onwards and upwards though I guess..

Posted

Evening all

came across this piece on YT tonight and gives you a theory on the changing climate on the planet and it’s effects, this gives a broader insight into past climatical changes and could give clues to where we are now climate wise, this is general well documented reasoning not taking into account man made pressures put on the climate across the planet, however it does give a good insight into the cycle we are in currently I believe.

LO

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Jealousy levels increasing 🤣

Still some hope for something here during the week but wouldn't count on anything happening. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

We got freezing snog out here tonight.

Posted

It will be fascinating to see how long, the denial about the improvement next weekend, can last in the MAD thread.  

Edited by RJBingham
  • Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Yet again my location misses the snow, and does not like getting any out of this cold snap. This is why I should just stick to chasing heat 

Same here, we always miss out here, just a few miles inland, snow of course. 

Any time the wind turns on shore it kills it here even though temps barely rose above freezing 

All its done that sleety rubbish crud from yesterday is turn all the roads and pavements to ice and no gritters last night despite coming on previous nights, an utter joke this council are. 

Still you cant beat living here in the summer TBH

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

Same here, we always miss out here, just a few miles inland, snow of course. 

Any time the wind turns on shore it kills it here even though temps barely rose above freezing 

All its done that sleety rubbish crud from yesterday is turn all the roads and pavements to ice and no gritters last night despite coming on previous nights, an utter joke this council are. 

Still you cant beat living here in the summer TBH

We haven’t had a decent snow fall since March 2013 here, think we need winds coming from north east to be in our favour. Yes took dog for a walk yesterday eve, and it was like an ice rink. Roll on summer 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, clark3r said:

We haven’t had a decent snow fall since March 2013 here, think we need winds coming from north east to be in our favour. Yes took dog for a walk yesterday eve, and it was like an ice rink. Roll on summer 

Only time we get a decent snowfall  if the wind remains in the N or E any other direction seems to screw it here. I'm done with chasing cold in the winter anymore like you. Waste of time here, warmer seas than previous decades have killed it here. 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted

What an abysmal rain spell this has been. Never has even felt "cold". A frost or 2 at night can still be observed between raging storms. Come back Atlantic all is forgiven, possibly the best chance of seeing white stuff in the form of hail. If there is talk of a warm give me strength because any warmer and the BBQ will be getting dusted off and the speedos will be out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

The lying snow here has frozen over and remained, so nice to wake up to something white. Had a walk early evening yesterday and was great to feel the crunch under my feet. First time experiencing that here since January 2019.

I sometimes don’t understand the doom and gloom in the model thread. Last year, the set ups hinted to something colder and it never happened. Lesson was anything can change in a split second. The snow in my area wasn’t forecasted until Friday. The previous week a warm up was forecasted on Sunday and we got snow instead. The weather can change just like that. Never give up hope 👍🏻

• Like 1

Posted

Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be another December 2012. Cold turning to very mild conditions later on. Same can be said for more recent months, Feb 2019 and 2021

Posted

That Severn Estuary streamer (is that a thing?) dumped at least 6 inches from Stroud to Broadway along the Cotswold ridge yesterday - it snowed from 5am to 5pm here on the south-east side of Cheltenham. Bizarrely the other side of town you could still see the grass.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm spring, hot summers

Not even a sniff of a flake here yet all the close surrounding area did/still have some.🙄

Still some ice from yesterdays freezing rain and that’s not going to melt quickly. However with the snow event for Wednesday now looking like a no show any decent snow here looks unlikely. Wish we could just fast forward to the 15C we should see next week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Amazing here in west Bedfordshire, started at 10:30pm last night and steady snow all night.  Probably a good few inches this morning, enough to stop one of the cars from leaving the driveway.  

We were outside of the MetO yellow warning zone, but the forecast changed last night and a watched the radar and it was clear the snow band was moving quite a bit further west than was expected.  

Enjoyable evening of lamppost watching 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
15 hours ago, Billy Hicks said:

December 2022 becomes just the seventh December month with snow I remember in  my lifetime (1988 onwards) after 1995, 1996, 2000, 2009, 2010 and 2017. Absolutely tons here in Caterham.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Winter, Car, Person, Weather, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Metropolis

I recall the Christmasses of 2001 and 2004 being quite white in many places but they completely missed where I was living at the time!

All those years had snow to follow in the January or February periods. 

• Like 2