Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

More sunshine here than yesterday, been a really nice day. A high of 9.9C but a slightly chilly feel to the air, even in the direct sun which is getting stronger now, but not yet really packing much of a punch. It will be different in a couple of weeks time or so.

Edited by severe snowstorm
  • Like 2

Posted

It wasn't quite the 'glorious red sunset' to the evening I was envisaging earlier but at least it's been a rare blue-sky day for the majority of the daylight hours here, i'll take more of that again.

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

More sunshine here than yesterday, been a really nice day. A high of 9.9C but a slightly chilly feel to the air, even in the direct sun which is getting stronger now, but not yet really packing much of a punch. It will be different in a couple of weeks time or so.

Interestingly it was the opposite here

• Like 3

Posted

A definate north-south divide in the region today, the classic SW airstream effect,  it has been a woeful day here, dank with drizzle on and off, low cloud down to valley level, misty murky conditions and cold to boot, hovered between 5 and 6 degrees all day. I fear a carbon copy of last week's grey, with the current synoptics, no sunshine, resulting in a very gloomy atmosphere. I commented what a difference clear skies make to the feel of things, today it was dusk by 4.30 and firmly dark by 5pm, feels like we have taken a step back.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
43 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Unbelievable that a couple of my timelapses now have context info panels put on them by YouTube because contrail conspiracy nutcases see them as evidence for their pet theories

😠

It’s true planes have been spewing spiced rum particles for years 😂

• Like 4

Posted

Temps stayed in positive figures through the night here - alot of high cloud about.  Current temp 2.6°C and clear sky.  Rain moving down through the region tonight.

• Like 3

Posted

Another frosty morning here, currently -1.1C.

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

Another frosty morning here, currently -1.1C.

Noticed on my walk to work how frosty cars were a few feet lower than my home location.

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Noticed on my walk to work how frosty cars were a few feet lower than my home location.

Temp still going down here, -1.3C. Sounds like a bit of a temperature inversion.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
On 03/02/2023 at 09:29, Scuba steve said:

Not much to say damp and breezy setting of for Glasgow for weekend  shortly and going to Pink Floyd experience at the planetarium on Saturday 

Massive fan. How was it? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
43 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Massive fan. How was it? 

It was fab ,it’s in the planetarium 3 d experience 😀

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

-0.5 at dawn this morning in the marginals. Sounds like a Cheshire plain inversion in place- Rush reporting no frost higher up in Macc, but there was a frost lower down in town, but a -1.3 in sunny Northwich from severe snowstorm-interesting. Anyhoo very nice day in the marginals, but a slight breeze kicking up which is making things feel chilly. Hares now a regular spot on the lanes just before daylight, which is usually a sign of the season moving along (plus a bonus barn owl). Model thread still touting a cold march which I'm not sure i'm up for-although it would hold things back and make a bit more time for cutting and planting!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Snakepass on fire.

Could contain: City, Factory, Building, Architecture

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Snakepass on fire.

Could contain: City, Factory, Building, Architecture

Just the burning of the brush/fields… it’s controlled… saw it this morning… the snake pass looked like a Christmas tree last night with what I can only guess were Wrexham fans coming back over from Sheffield… was a steady stream of traffic for 45 min to an hour… 

lovely walk along goyt this morning… have stinking cold but wanted a walk in the fresh air… parts of the canal at bugsworth basin frozen too…

making fry up for tea… 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Just now, WillinGlossop said:

Just the burning of the brush/fields… it’s controlled… saw it this morning… the snake pass looked like a Christmas tree last night with what I can only guess we’re Wrexham fans coming back over from Sheffield… was a steady stream of traffic for 45 min to an hour… 

lovely walk along goyt this morning… have stinking cold but wanted a walk in the fresh air… parts of the canal at bugsworth basin frozen too…

making fry up for tea… 

Glad to hear it wasn't uncontrolled moorland fires. Always seem to happen when it's sunny so i suspected glass or some material magnifying the sun.

Sorry to hear you've got that cold.

I've had it and shook it off after 2 weeks.

Been to Bugsworth a few times. The steam fayre is good.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

There is still a glimmer....

ssw-2023.png?w=640
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Following a minor Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) event in January, the Stratospheric Polar Vortex (SPV) has now recovered. Our forecasts for the coming week also suggest that conditions will...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A few long and busy days at work this week so not been on here much but thankfully it doesn’t look like I’ve missed much in the way of interesting weather.

Heavily frozen car on Monday, lightly yesterday and a bit more in the way of ice again this morning so even if snow ends up being in short supply, the number of frosty mornings has been on a par with many of the past winters.

not bad conditions during daylight hours so pretty usable conditions for anyone in a position to make the most of them.

for me, hopefully the forecasted dry weekend will arrive and I can get out and do some walking.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Glad to hear it wasn't uncontrolled moorland fires. Always seem to happen when it's sunny so i suspected glass or some material magnifying the sun.

Sorry to hear you've got that cold.

I've had it and shook it off after 2 weeks.

Been to Bugsworth a few times. The steam fayre is good.

Yes they’ve just started again… were doing it before we left in October/November… was quite a lot of smoke though… guessing it’s quite damp up there…

cheers yes sore throat cough yesterday, head cold going through packets of tissues, probably go to chest as with my husband… bugs lasting quite a while… one we had when we first got to France lasted two weeks plus… Glad you’re better 👌👍

Not really ventured that way much… might pop down for a walk and lunch at the navigation buxworth in spring when it’s a bit warmer 👌👍

First Home Game since we’ve been away this weekend and only home game this month… will be very vocal game ⚽⚽⚽⚽️ (especially with the continuous media vendetta and this weeks uptick) 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, cheshireoak said:

-0.5 at dawn this morning in the marginals. Sounds like a Cheshire plain inversion in place- Rush reporting no frost higher up in Macc, but there was a frost lower down in town, but a -1.3 in sunny Northwich from severe snowstorm-interesting. Anyhoo very nice day in the marginals, but a slight breeze kicking up which is making things feel chilly. Hares now a regular spot on the lanes just before daylight, which is usually a sign of the season moving along (plus a bonus barn owl). Model thread still touting a cold march which I'm not sure i'm up for-although it would hold things back and make a bit more time for cutting and planting!

I’m away from 18th March to 31st in Mississippi 🇺🇸 so will probably be cold and snowy here 🙈🙈 ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
Just now, WillinGlossop said:

I’m away from 18th March to 31st in Mississippi 🇺🇸 so will probably be cold and snowy here 🙈🙈 ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ 

Enjoy but you need to look seriously at changing your name to WillsometimesinGlossop😂

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, iand61 said:

Enjoy but you need to look seriously at changing your name to WillsometimesinGlossop😂

🤣😂🤣😂👌👍

off to Denmark 🇩🇰 for nieces confirmation and meet up with brother and sis in law in April and driving holiday around Ireland for fortnight in August… yes I probably do 😂🤣

Didnt go away much last year and apart from the record heat the weather was pretty naff 🙈🙈

• Like 4

Posted
12 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

I always go out for a morning walk or jog, amazing sometimes how much colder it can sometimes be down by the river Irwell, 40m lower than here down a steep slope.  This morning was a perfect example.  Other frosty mornings not much difference - I guess when it is clearer for longer the valley “fills” with an ever deeper layer of cold.  Not very scientific explanation, but seems to make sense to me!

• Like 5