Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

Dull and calm in the marginals, though just brightening up a little now, Thermometer says 9.1 but it feels creepy-cold outside. Just been across the fields to pick up some firewood before  before a bit of midweek rain makes every thing too wet again. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Cloudy and dry again today, although the smallest breaks in the cloud now visible. Light winds, temp reached 8.9C. Another similar day coming up tomorrow by the looks of it although probably a better chance of seeing some sunshine.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Doesnt look finally for a clearance today surely will do tomorrow when starting the new work week 😞 oh well..

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Just sorting out a load of folders on my computer and found this belter!

It just says New Brighton 2010, probably from the fall of the 18th December.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Fallen Person, Person, Snow

Excellent! By the time it got to Manchester it left around 2 inches. One of the best for Liverpool I imagine. From memory, don't think it got to the Pennines. What a month though. Incredibly cold for December. Interestingly there were a couple of milder periods as well. Just shows how cold the cold was. 6 degrees below for the month. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Not a bad day and a fine sunset 

• Like 4

Posted

A fine day, albeit again very cloudy, but high level cloud and it felt quite bright, despite any brightness, indeed a tinge of early spring, with little or no wind, and mild temperatures. All very pleasant and comfortable for mid February.

Similiar conditions expected days ahead, perhaps some more sunshine, chilly night but probably not cold enough for any air frost. Its all very uninteresting and calm.

Turning into a dry February, a contrast to last year's rain and storm fest.

This is certainly turning into a very 'calm' winter. 

• Like 4

Posted

I was talking to a couple of neighbours the other day about lost local knowledge and the topic of bad snow drifting spots turned up. I can still remember most of the local bad spots(!), but has anyone get any details for most recent drifting events at lower altitudes? Got a feeling late 80's? can't remember much more recent. 1979(?) might even be the last time the lanes really got filled in. (sadly)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Had some drizzle earlier which just about dampened the ground.

Other than that,  another nondescript day weather wise.

• Like 4

Posted

Chilly cloudy mist/hill fog…. Saw some orange lights then red and blue lights on snake last night 1030-1115pm… haven’t seen anything online about it…

could be 14-15c tomorrow if sun makes an appearance might feel warm ☀️ 

off for walk to shops then some gardening…

Making cheese soufflé for meat free Monday 🧀 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 5

Posted
15 hours ago, cheshireoak said:

I was talking to a couple of neighbours the other day about lost local knowledge and the topic of bad snow drifting spots turned up. I can still remember most of the local bad spots(!), but has anyone get any details for most recent drifting events at lower altitudes? Got a feeling late 80's? can't remember much more recent. 1979(?) might even be the last time the lanes really got filled in. (sadly)

What about 2010?? Where I am any drifting wouldn't amount to much really. 2010 was deep snow but not sure about drifts. I know there were massive drifts in 2013 but may have been the higher routes. That doesn't really help does it!😆

• Like 4

Posted
16 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Just sorting out a load of folders on my computer and found this belter!

It just says New Brighton 2010, probably from the fall of the 18th December.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Fallen Person, Person, Snow

It was notable around here, how light that snow felt when I was clearing the driveway. It was light and fluffy in the snow shovel but the early January 2010 snow when I was shovelling that felt really heavy. That was a "wet" or high water content snowfall whilst the December 2010 event was "dry".  

• Like 4

Posted

Stunning wall to wall sunshine.  Could feel the warmth of the winter sun through my clothes - apricity - a lovely word no longer used.  Temp reached 11.5°C sometime after 2pm, looks like that is todays max.  Not happy about being in work on days like these, much rather be up a summit, tormenting a trig point somewhere.

• Like 7

Posted
8 hours ago, Rob 79812010 said:

What about 2010?? Where I am any drifting wouldn't amount to much really. 2010 was deep snow but not sure about drifts. I know there were massive drifts in 2013 but may have been the higher routes. That doesn't really help does it!😆

Yeah both provided some snow here and significant drifting in the hills above say 200m. Honestly can't remember last time we had lowland drifting of any note.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Grey start turned into a beautiful afternoon though now a distinct chill in the air 

• Like 3

Posted

I’ve a half term holiday with the family in Suffolk next week.  Can’t complain if this chart is on the mark:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

Regarding the SSW and late Feb/ March.  Happy with BFTE, Northern Express, or continuing high pressure (hopefully without the anti cyclonic gloom).  Absolutely don’t want weeks of grey, cold rain from a spring Greenland high, southern jet and not enough cold air for snow.

Bet we get the later, but maybe it will just sustain our friendly high?

Edited by Maz
  • Like 3