Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
7 minutes ago, Rush2019 said:

Just love these cold frosty mornings.  Skies are crystal clear, stars were blinking and giving me a wink as I was out feeding the birds.  A bit slippy up the garden path, -2.4°C and birds water a solid ice block.  Will feel alive and wide awake once I have walked to work.  Mild, wet grey murk dampens my mood.

Yes, mornings like these lift the spirits a little. Definitely a case of make the most of it for now though.

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

Yes, mornings like these lift the spirits a little. Definitely a case of make the most of it for now though.

Yes, it will be a while before I see this again.

20231206_061115.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

-4.8ºC overnight here

It's -3.0ºC currently and frozen hard; lovely! 👌🏼

This would be perfect weather to stick around if no snow is about; better than the milder, wetter interludes we've had

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

-2.4°C here at sunrise.

• Like 6

Posted

I loved seeing the aircraft trails across the clear blue sky this morning. I doubt whether they will be visible tomorrow or thereafter for a while. Numerous yellow rain warnings in place for tomorrow and I wonder whether we shall be having one of our own later in the day.  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lovely blue skies this morning, temp was a touch below -3C when I woke up. Got the dogs out for a nice early morning walk. 

Proper shame that the front approaching from the west can’t hold off for a few more hours so we can have one sunny day before two weeks of grey gloom arrives. 

IMG_3640.thumb.jpeg.b79c1427b80c5d71ebb85e04aae0eb64.jpeg

IMG_3643.thumb.jpeg.f7936f05aee1f3c5d242782e170e73b4.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I loved seeing the aircraft trails across the clear blue sky this morning. I doubt whether they will be visible tomorrow or thereafter for a while. Numerous yellow rain warnings in place for tomorrow and I wonder whether we shall be having one of our own later in the day.  

Region is now subject to a yellow weather warning for rain through tomorrow until 7pm, one of nine yellow rain warnings now issued for tomorrow. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Lovely morning as was out early to go to ulverston to check on works blue sky now clouded over no doubt bringing the mild yawn fest that will last to February.

• Like 7

Posted

-4c this morning… was still below freezing walking around at midday… nearly slipped on sheet ice this morning in garden and walking into town… very icy 🥶 🧊 🥶 🧊

managed 20 errands and this afternoon put up some decs… Hubby has made fish cakes for tea whilst I was out… fire 🔥 lit 🔥 

• Like 6

Posted

A cold day as expected, didn't reach 3 degrees. Hard frost which only slowly lifted. Paths are lethal with ice. 

A beautiful winter's day, fells looking Alpine.

Tonight brings the change, sleety rain, and a gradual full thaw should begin tomorrow, but it will take some time given the freeze thaw action has compacted the snow to a strong foundation.

All eyes on the next cold spell.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

IMG_7300.thumb.png.584b423ec9dc9fcd9359013a13e4bfe0.png

Not confusing at all

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
11 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Not confusing at all

The biggest confusion to me is that all western facing regions apart from one seems to have a warning.

no guessing which is the region missing one, especially that there didn’t seem to be anything unusual about the system approaching.

just a bog standard front coming in from the west/SW so you’d have expected that western upslopes of the Pennines at least would have been in the firing line for some heavy rain.

That said, if it’s not a warning for snow, I don’t want one.

heavy rain and flooding doesn’t float my boat😂

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
20 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Not confusing at all

Ridiculous

• Like 6

Posted
17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Lake District Ski Club making the most of the conditions, very busy for a mid week session up on Raise(just behind Helvellyn. 

GAqcuvjXkAAPt2M.jpeg

Sadly this will be washed away in the coming days, though extreme high tops might just hold on to some. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Another thing I have noticed about Met Office weather warnings recently is that they spend the briefest amount of time talking about what is possibly going to happen with the weather with a full rundown then of every way that you may be affected and what you need to collect together in order to be prepared.

Nowt wrong with that but do I really need to be told that my bus or train may be affected by heavy rain anymore than being told that my feet may get wet.

IMHO they should just give us the figures behind the warning whether it be wind speed, rainfall amounts of snow depth and let us carry our or own risk assessments.

Sorry but rant over🤬

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Sadly this will be washed away in the coming days, though extreme high tops might just hold on to some. 

With a lot of wind blowing and consolidation of the pack in the last few days, the snow in the gullies and NE facing areas may well survive until the frost returns. Theres is an awful lot of snow high up.

• Like 7

Posted

Another...

• Like 8

Posted
32 minutes ago, matty40s said:

With a lot of wind blowing and consolidation of the pack in the last few days, the snow in the gullies and NE facing areas may well survive until the frost returns. Theres is an awful lot of snow high up.

Yes there will be a lot of banking in sheltered corries, gullies and NE steep slopes. Temps of 8-9 degrees at sea level will equate to roughly about 1-3 at 800m, no real warmth to wash away quick.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

-3.3 in the marginals last night, lane very icy in places with one or two lateral excursions from the unwary, Currently 0.6, wind picking up. Looks like full Atlantic train for next few days. That met office weather warning chart looks proper weird.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Breeze getting up now prelude to incoming muck fest 😟

• Like 6

Posted

Buxton reached a low of -3.1'c this morning with the frost lingering on well into the afternoon in shaded areas although it was quite pleasant in the sun, unfortunately the milder temps & rainfall makes a return after tonight for at least a week until things look more colder again heading into the Chrimbo holidays. With that in mind I made the best of today's sunny blue skies & frozen mud underfoot to have a nice 8 mile stroll around Taxal, D3300 in hand to try out some macro snaps on a new 50mm FFL lens.

15.thumb.jpg.c87e6ae7f44efa812b662bd28db036fa.jpg17.thumb.jpg.a6dc1d7191a6aa3f2662857fdf08baf0.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Nudging 6°C as of 5.45am, absolutely tipping down and the wind is gusty, a cat flap rattler.  Braving myself up to go out and throw some meal worms up the garden for the birds, they will probably blow back at me, must keep my mouth closed when doing so.🤣🌬☔

• Like 6