Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

Not a great morning eh? 

Unless some of the white stuff falls , it will be a disappointment .......................for many I guess , and the spell will get a low rating 

• Like 7

Posted

Days and nights will be getting colder and colder..

Then we have this icy cold easterly..

Plenty of freezing fog and a few ice days to come..

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Now if we re looking at other options here are a couple later to keep the cold going at least..

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map

• Like 5

Posted
36 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Yes, I got that 46 number a couple times but I don't know how because others are saying 7KM, what I don't understand is how there isn't a definitive source somewhere on the Internet, surely someone has done that. I mean, even the sites that are supposed to be government ran talking about the models are out of date, there's not much I could find for every model away from the years 2012 and 2016 for whatever reason.

It tells you on meteoceil at the bottem of each model ARPEGE is 10km resolution for Europe and 0.5 for the world. 

GEM is 15km for the World. Ect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, zubzero said:

It tells you on meteoceil at the bottem of each model ARPEGE is 10km resolution for Europe and 0.5 for the world. 

GEM is 15km for the World. Ect

That could be resolution of the charts being produced rather than the resolution of the actual model run. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, Snowmut said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art Well sadly less than a week to go on this chart its looking like we'll  still be dreaming of a white Xmas for another year! Unless your a hobnail goat on a mountain somewhere!🐐🏔️

So you believe every day runs...? For a start ,last week's Iberian low was set to spoil the Wintry weather, then there was another spoiler for early next week. When we have cold in place it's hard for models to simulate a non default pattern which we have now, and is certainly locked in ,I think for the rest of this month and beyond. If anything it's going to get colder as we move into next week....😨

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Looks to be plenty of activity down around the south coast as highlighted on the MO fax chart tomorrow into Sunday. If I’m reading it right 😂Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

So you believe every day runs...? For a start ,last week's Iberian low was set to spoil the Wintry weather, then there was another spoiler for early next week. When we have cold in place it's hard for models to simulate a non default pattern which we have now, and is certainly locked in ,I think for the rest of this month and beyond. If anything it's going to get colder as we move into next week....😨

Disagree.  The previous attempts to breakdown were micro scale in the scheme of things with lows attempting to break down the macro pattern of vortex over Asia and Greenland heights. What is different for the breakdown now being modelled day 7 and beyond is the macro pattern shifting to enable it..  vortex relocation over the artic and losing Greenland heights.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
9 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Disagree.  The previous attempts to breakdown were micro scale in the scheme of things with lows attempting to break down the macro pattern of vortex over Asia and Greenland heights. What is different for the breakdown now being modelled day 7 and beyond is the macro pattern shifting to enable it..  vortex relocation over the artic and losing Greenland heights.

Yes day 7 and beyond .....😨

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

That could be resolution of the charts being produced rather than the resolution of the actual model run. 

Maybe it says the UKMO run is 10km and that's what it is so I assumed it was right. 

Posted

Couldn't agree with a couple of posters above, so many people (myself) included were convinced that the Iberian low would scupper our chances of cold uppers.  The models are only as good as the assumptions they are based on, and constantly being tweaked. While indeed generally accurate, our foremost meteorologists are far, far away from understanding all the drivers behind the function of the tropospheres, never mind its interaction with the strat., solar cycles etc.  And especially where there is cold encroaching on our small island, the margins are so, so fine it's is exceptionally difficult to predict the intricacies of it and where and when and if it will snow.

I'm keeping faith on this event delivering snow, always believed in the adage get the cold locked in and wait and see what comes next.

Edited by jmp223
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Yes day 7 and beyond .....😨

true.. but I think wiith Macro changes there is a little more confidence as like a large oil tanker (Next weeks macro change being modelled ) that once the course is set it takes more effort to change, unlike a small speed boat (the lows attempt to breakdown) which  can zip around more.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
8 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

Looks to be plenty of activity down around the south coast as highlighted on the MO fax chart tomorrow into Sunday. If I’m reading it right 😂Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

I agree, looking at various suggested radar for the near term and over the weekend I think some will be pleasantly surprised. I’m not talking loads but seeing something falling is a possibility. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
30 minutes ago, mhielte said:

A lot of assumption there in one post. Let's not get hasty and instead evaluate after the event, rather than before. After all, we're talking science here and rarely do you evaluate your results before the experiment even takes place! 🙄

My evaluation of any cold spell will be if I get snow total IMBYism I'm afraid - and I have to say this experiment has failed many many times lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, That ECM said:

I agree, looking at various suggested radar for the near term and over the weekend I think some will be pleasantly surprised. I’m not talking loads but seeing something falling is a possibility. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

I’m trying to nail down other models views on Saturday into Sunday as we may see a covering during the weekend. The little disturbance Sunday isn’t going away by the looks of it. The south east could see some  snow as highlighted earlier in the thread! 

• Like 2