Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
4 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

I've got a feeling

Like the Black Eyed Peas would say?! 🤣 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
3 minutes ago, MJB said:

Incorrect - it snowed in June 1971 

Wasn't that 1975 right at the start of the month? And it was in Buxton I think, which is pretty high up. Stopped a cricket match. That summer ended up very warm. I'm pretty sure there has never been any recorded snow in August in the UK except maybe on the very highest Scottish mountains

Sums it up doesn't it? You know the models are awful for winter cold when we're remembering yesteryear

GFS ensembles suggest almost anything could happen mid-month

Could contain: Chart

Incredible warmth or deep cold? probably end up with 8C and drizzle

• Like 6

Posted

Entering true winter period now and as often the case, the atlantic rules the roost, eating away its deepest depths. Not much to say other than more of what we have had for 2 weeks now, atlantic barreling through, very mild in the south, closer to average further north. High pressure building to the NE has the effect of preventing the trough from pushing eastwards,  a common theme of last 2 years, however, it will be further east than on many a recent occasion and this just means lots of rain and frontal activity coming unstuck somewhat over the UK. 

Perhaps in a week's time we may see a signal for something colder, with lower heights digging further into Europe kicking aside euro heights and we may then pull in colder air from the NW, looks a slow old process, but there are suggestions this is the direction of travel as we approach mid month. Second half of the month remains uncertain. 

• Like 5

Posted

Could we get one of these to count down to T+0 and come true at least

Easterlies/Beasterlies

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, MapCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Face, Person, Head, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Not too much to ask surely to give us some proper cold from the east

Northerlies

If we can't have an easterly or beasterly at least give us one of these below

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Modern ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Map, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

Battleground UK

If none of the above I'll settle for this final option from the last 24 hours worth of GFS output

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart

A perfect battle between the cold high and the Atlantic and could end up as a band of snow since the mild sector is getting squeezed out as the front approaches.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
1 hour ago, MJB said:

I bet my Birthday ( April 3rd ) has seem more snow than yours 

It would not surprise me if southern England sees more snow, or at least sleet, on April 1-15 than Jan 1-15 on average! April is notable for the Atlantic going quiet and often northerlies getting in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
Just now, SqueakheartLW said:

Could we get one of these to count down to T+0 and come true at least

Easterlies/Beasterlies

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, MapCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Face, Person, Head, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Not too much to ask surely to give us some proper cold from the east

Northerlies

If we can't have an easterly or beasterly at least give us one of these below

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Modern ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Map, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

Battleground UK

If none of the above I'll settle for this final option from the last 24 hours worth of GFS output

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart

A perfect battle between the cold high and the Atlantic and could end up as a band of snow since the mild sector is getting squeezed out as the front approaches.

Sad to say with current output probably not 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes in April probably!

Aprils have been pretty good in recent years. Even the cold April of 2021 was sunny despite the damaging, unwanted frost

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

Aprils have been pretty good in recent years. Even the cold April of 2021 was sunny despite the damaging, unwanted frost

Better chance of colder synoptics to come off in April compared to mid winter these days!!

2 minutes ago, johncam said:

Sad to say with current output probably not 

Eye candy only these days eh?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
1 minute ago, Don said:

Better chance of colder synoptics to come off in April compared to mid winter these days!!

Yep correct Don , hopefully get a better picture of rest of January in a week or so 

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, MJB said:

That's of no surprise though , when they say "no sign" they aren't talking throughout the month of January , they are more than likely talking 7-10 days 

Exactly. Go and watch the Met's 10 day forecasts at the end of November on YouTube.

Edited by Alexis
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

That's not the reality though in recent times. April 2021 was a rare cold April this century. Check out the CET stats for Aprils from 2002 - hardly any below 8c (roughly the average) and only 1 below 7C (2021)

5 have had CETs above 10c this century with loads in the 9s

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

I wouldn’t trust a forecast made by someone who can’t even spell the word no 🤷🏻‍♂️

Accept my sincere and humble apologies. It was on the bbc btw✌️✌️🙄🙄

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
26 minutes ago, LRD said:

Wasn't that 1975 right at the start of the month? And it was in Buxton I think, which is pretty high up. Stopped a cricket match. That summer ended up very warm. I'm pretty sure there has never been any recorded snow in August in the UK except maybe on the very highest Scottish mountains

Sums it up doesn't it? You know the models are awful for winter cold when we're remembering yesteryear

Snowed at Lords , which is about as low as you can get to sea level I'd of thought , and in EA as well as Brum

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MJB said:

Snowed at Lords , which is about as low as you can get to sea level I'd of thought , and in EA as well as Brum

We're both right but snow didn't stop play at Lord's I don't think

4136.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Arctic winds swept across UK, followed by another surprise on 6 June when heatwave struck

Weatherwatch- freak snow stopped cricket on 2 June 1975 - Extreme weather - The Guardian.urlhttps://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/jun/01/weatherwatch-freak-snow-stopped-cricket-on-2-june-1975

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
40 minutes ago, LRD said:

June 2nd 1975....😨

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

June big difference to Aug! these would not be snow in Aug,

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Person, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm, Face, HeadCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Graphics, Art, Person, Face, Head, Map

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Blimey am I in the right forum?

Yeah mate, you are. Here have a chart:

Could contain: Chart, Smoke Pipe

Which kind of sums up the uninteresting outlook hence why the conversation has drifted I s'pose. Often happens when things look completely dull. Feel free to move my posts mods

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, LRD said:

Yeah mate, you are. Here have a chart:

Could contain: Chart, Smoke Pipe

Which kind of sums up the uninteresting outlook hence why the conversation has drifted I s'pose. Often happens when things look completely dull. Feel free to move my posts mods

Those ens are shockingly bad.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Those ens are shockingly bad.

Only ~20% of the individual ensembles fall *just* below average into FI... ouch.

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

June big difference to Aug! these would not be snow in Aug,

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Person, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm, Face, HeadCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Graphics, Art, Person, Face, Head, Map

So ?

If 850's are cold enough it will snow in any month 

• Like 1

Posted

Those of you of a nervous disposition do not look at the ECM46. It's a shocker

Luckily I don't really rate it - especially it's longer range output

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Only ~20% of the individual ensembles fall *just* below average into FI... ouch.

TBH the next 10 to 14 days are a write off..

The second half of the month is up for grabs.

Taking into account the last fortnight the Euro High will have ruined a third of Winter,minimum.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

TBH the next 10 to 14 days are a write off..

The second half of the month is up for grabs.

Taking into account the last fortnight the Euro High will have ruined a third of Winter,minimum.

I should be lamenting, but at this point it's like... Are we surprised? lol. To be brutally honest, by mid-late February as the sun strengthens and the daylight has increased to a notable degree, my interest turns towards spring and the convective season anyway, so I really only have a month and a half of hope and energy left in me!

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, LRD said:

Those of you of a nervous disposition do not look at the ECM46. It's a shocker

Luckily I don't really rate it - especially it's longer range output

render-worker-commands-5d9fc45c7d-f9t4q-

That could be good or close to being

render-worker-commands-5d9fc45c7d-bxq4z-

That tells me it hasn't a clue 

render-worker-commands-5d9fc45c7d-7zwgs-