Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

At least the PV is shifting away from the North west , if we can tap into it there’s some brutal cold to the north east 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The control has trough disruption just east of the UK,...wouldn't take much to correct it west a tad...

Could contain: Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Art, Modern Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Pattern

the gfs did the same but not as good,...i feel there is still leg room in this,beyond this is anyones guess untill this scenario gets sorted out

goin to the wire this one.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
5 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

I couldn’t agree more. From a fairly meh chart on the face it, in fact a bit of underestimated upstream amplification could release that lot towards us Jan’87 style! 😲 Not likely of course but interesting nonetheless.

Yup its impressive cold to the NE but we need some trough disruption or our side and a favourably alligned high. Would be nice if we can keep the cold there waiting in the wings, the depth of it is impressive.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

I've been watching the EPS Z500 outputs for Barcelona for the past week or so, and today's 12z run is the first time I've noticed members which bring heights lower than 550 (which would be green on Meteociel's map plots) earlier than day 10 - although none of them for very long.

(Today's 0z left, 12z right)

Could contain: Heat Map, ChartCould contain: Heat Map, Chart

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, zubzero said:

.? It's about average if not slightly below compared to the ens

https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/ecmwfens_display.php?x=274&y=54&run=12&type=2&runpara=0&mode=1

I said day 10 and it’s  ~2C warmer than mean so I’m not sure about that! 

715EEEE4-C932-4A37-97FE-F5531B8CD2D8.thumb.png.3bf8ebc007232925f68ed992304d7526.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
55 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

It's a shame that we have to hear this so often because it's true so often. If only the Atlantic wasn't such of a dominant force...

Rrrrr.....but the Atlantic had been sluggish for well over a year EE,and its been far from a dominant force. Keep in mind last Winter we had a sluggish Atlantic yet still missed out on cold. The significant cold plunge out of Canada is what woke up the Atlantic. I wouldn't be at all suprised to see it die a death again for large parts of this year. 

As long as there remains a reduction in the temperature profiles between the equator and the poles,this is something that could worsen...obviously the thermal gradient is greater at this time of the year so there will be episodes when it's running full steam ahead.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Day 10 on gfs control is building some serious cold to the ene. See if the oz runs esp ecm pick it up and run with it 🙏

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
32 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

12z Vs 18z ..couldn’t be more different, finger in air time 🤷🏻‍♂️

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors

While it’s far into the dreamland, it’s literally gone from a Scandinavian High to a Scandinavian trough! 😅

What I think all the cold weather fans should do is track down the shrink ray in Despicable Me, point it at both the European High and Atlantic Lows. Then hopefully the Atlantic Lows will be too feeble to fight the modest Scandinavian High and just take a trip into mainland Europe drawing Polar Express weather towards the UK.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
3 hours ago, Catacol said:

Shooting from the hip at those who try and make sense of what drives our weather is probably not the way to go. Nobody I have seen try and come up with an analysis ignores the reality of Hadley Cell movement and the increasing dominance of the sub tropical high pressure belt. It is a known context. And clearly there is more we need to do to try and comprehend what impacts the Euro High specifically. For many years data and forecasting has looked almost entirely at the Pacific- and for good reason. The Pacific drives the Rossby Wave pattern that most obviously impacts the major centres of Western population namely the US and Europe. But little to no time is given analysing what is happening over the Atlantic or perhaps over the African continent. Do research papers exist that target the Euro High? I haven't seen any. Perhaps we will start to see some soon.

Those who use teleconnections and who you identify as "ignoring" the Euro High context presumably also include NWP output itself which also got it wrong. As did the Met Office. Sometimes a forecast is a bust because it is a bust - because we are yet to know enough to forecast accurately beyond 5 days.

But to try is better than not to try. There are no prizes for raising the white flag and having a chip at those who got it wrong.

Excellent post Catacol.

I also mentioned once before I saw a program on the BBC and I just can’t remember what it was called. But they were discussing particularly strong magnetic areas subsurface that could affect above the surface creating strong high-pressure systems. So it looked like it was the InnerWorkings effect in the outer above sea level synoptics. There were about six identified around the planet and the Hadley cell was one of them.

it does seem like an invisible force field when strong telekinetic‘s spoken about which in the end I just like a soggy teabag in texture when it comes up against a high-pressure systems . These high prices just seem to want to constantly deliver mild southerly or south westerly wins with low prices that get caught up in the flow just to keep reverting .

sometimes it’s a big sways of cold air coming down from Canada or the western side of Greenland and it’s freezing cold right down into the Atlantic and as soon as it sweeps towards us just as it’s about to hit us on so many runs I noticed that it takes a sudden directional change to go from south-west to north-east due to the effect of the euro slug.

if anyone wants to know or see the effects of the high-pressures ( despite kinetics)  then place your finger on the slider bar , in my case I have an iPhone and if you scrub that bar all the way to the end and back again do that quite a few times you’ll see like a timelapse of the weather systems ebbing and flowing but the general trend is look at how much the high-pressure systems have in controlling majority of it most of the time either deflecting low pressures or guiding them right over the top of us but the general trend of directions are more often the same and any cold potentials are just that they often get water down or dematerialise. 

once Euro highs become established it’s extremely difficult to get rid of them summer or winter. same goes for the placement of the Hadley cell Azores high,Iberian high. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

See the ever present limpet short wave low close to the Norwegian coast is becoming a feature too when ever we get some sort of Scandi High, interesting also how the isobars seem to follow the contour of the coast rather than go westwards (probably due to the large difference in temps from land to sea) as per 222z on tonight's ECM op run...thoroughly depressing.

Fantastic post/ point of which I noticed happening in recent years as well. 
it does seem such a small little feature but can really block the easterly which I could remember with the flow I suppose all the way from Siberia right across over to us and rarely were there any small low features like this does seem to be relatively new feature over the last 5 to 10 years. not that winds from this direction I’ll come in anyway but if there is a hint of a high-pressure lead into a potential easterly the short wave often knocks on the head diverts it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

And a good 1st day of the new year to you all,not posted much today as i had 1-2 too many last night and stayed in bed most of the morning/first part of the afternoon

some good analysis in here today and thanks to @mushymanrob, @knocker, @Catacol and @Eagle Eye for the explanations of the strat/ EAMT and how to read the NOAA anomaly charts so thank you,i have learn't quite a bit over the past 11 years whilst i have been on this forum😀

Just a question to the more knowledgable,i have hightlighted this black circle around this number,does it represent the dam as in 528 dam because if it does then the 528 dam line is somewhere between Orkney and Shetland or am i reading this wrong🤔

814day_03.thumb.gif.d57701ed9e8c25185e4b817a5986d094.gif

a good chart though with +ve heights over the pole with linkup of +ve heights NE America and -ve heights over Scandi and again a fuel charged by a powerful jet NE PAC -ve height anomaly

ext'd EPS as above with temp anomalies colder the further north you go UK wise but average further south,...this could change as we go through the latter half of the month,...it has trended cooler than previous runs though so a step in the right direction.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Face, Head, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Mass scatter! But ya need the mean-And the green linked together... and even those plots- have ina nutshell lost the plot!.. The drivers are not dictating, it’s honestly a suck it n, see... we can pick perturbations from either side-@ Mobile- mild-@cold- epic!! However they will nigh on Always be there if you seek them- but ya need big %age agree for a possible more defined forecast!.. atm it’s we are all a tad worse for wear and intoxicated 🥴! So we’ll chuck up everything.. And nothing!. It’s certainly got the feel of something is gonna give... 

Could contain: Chart

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
23 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

And a good 1st day of the new year to you all,not posted much today as i had 1-2 too many last night and stayed in bed most of the morning/first part of the afternoon

some good analysis in here today and thanks to @mushymanrob, @knocker, @Catacol and @Eagle Eye for the explanations of the strat/ EAMT and how to read the NOAA anomaly charts so thank you,i have learn't quite a bit over the past 11 years whilst i have been on this forum😀

Just a question to the more knowledgable,i have hightlighted this black circle around this number,does it represent the dam as in 528 dam because if it does then the 528 dam line is somewhere between Orkney and Shetland or am i reading this wrong🤔

814day_03.thumb.gif.d57701ed9e8c25185e4b817a5986d094.gif

a good chart though with +ve heights over the pole with linkup of +ve heights NE America and -ve heights over Scandi and again a fuel charged by a powerful jet NE PAC -ve height anomaly

ext'd EPS as above with temp anomalies colder the further north you go UK wise but average further south,...this could change as we go thruoough the latter half of the month,...it has trended cooler than previous runs though so a step in the right direction.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Face, Head, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

My understanding is that that 5280 is the number of metres above mean sea level that 500mb pressure is reached (i.e. the 500mb geopotential height), whereas the similar metric that you are thinking of would be the number of decametres above the height where 1000mb is reached that 500mb is subsequently reached (i.e. the 500mb-1000mb thickness). The latter being the metric which is shown as a dashed red line on the fax charts, and where a value lower than 528 gives snow hope:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature

I also understand that at any point on the map where the mean sea level pressure happens to be exactly 1000mb, the 500mb geopotential height would be exactly equal to the 500mb-1000mb thickness in that location.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I know it's too far north, but it's still fun to watch this bad boy do the limbo!

eps_mslpa_nhem_fh0-144.thumb.gif.107b6499df68d1e5429b5f6b84b8b0a5.gif

12 hours ago, Catacol said:

HNY everyone - festive season pretty much over...time to return to "normal" (whatever that is...) 

It has been a grim 2 weeks for cold hunters. I have checked into a few charts and data sources over the Xmas period and frankly if it could go wrong - it has gone wrong. Pacific forcing arrived as expected and it has prevented the slide towards a Nina dominated atmosphere. AAM has pushed back up into positive territory

Could contain: Chart

and the GWO orbit started to rise once again, avoiding a slide into flat, Nina territory.

Could contain: CAD Diagram, Diagram, Face, Person, Head

We have even ended up in the fabled ground of MJO phase 7 as many suspected might happen despite the usual crappy MJO model forecasts.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Bicycle, Vehicle, Transportation

This was probably about as big a jump back up of AAM in a positive pacific context as we could expect. Looks pretty good! We are even looking at a scenario which sees the North Pacific High replaced by some quite long last low pressure....a good precursor for strat forcing

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, Head

But just take a look - as though we need to - at pressure over Europe. I posted JMA monthly charts that saw this draining away. EC charts showed it draining away. And here we are with the Euro High firmly embedded. It has forced the jet stream further north so that only the Highlands are now seeing what - at one stage - some of us thought much of the UK could see during this current period. Go to the outer reaches of useful EPS modelling and not much change. Euro High in charge. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person

It is indeed grim. CC modelling of global patterns over the next 80 years or so sees the growth of the Euro High as a core feature. The fact that we are seeing it so much already, as early as 2022/23, is depressing. Germany breaking temperature records....we had our 40 degree summer just gone. Both courtesy of this growing anomaly. As the world warms the regional implications of this Euro feature are going to become quite profound I suspect.

Where does this leave UK winter? Searching for a SSW. I don't see any way out of a westerly pattern now without a SSW. Really substantial amplification might possibly do it but remembering the failure of the GP +4SD "torpedo" years ago I am not sure modern climate patterns produce the same kind of response as was the case 30-40 years ago, at least in Europe where we have a semi permanent high anomaly bedded in to our south.

A proper SSW - like 2018 - would do it. In such circumstances downwelling impacts of vortex collapse overcome tropospheric forcing and these scenarios are the ones that really significant winter cold will rely on going forward. To have any chance of this in our current winter we could do with seeing high pressure reemerge over Scandy or the Urals as we had in November to pair up with low pressure over the Aleutians which is modelled. As more than one poster noted a month ago - it would have been much better for our winter overall if the Scandy High in early December hadn't retrogressed so swiftly to Greenland. Much better for stratospheric forcing. Right now only half of this pairing is in place - the Aleutian Low. It is forecast to produce quite a significant wave 1 stretch of the vortex and there is a chance going forward of a displacement warming....but a wave 2 split would be much better for us. Note the current 3D modelling of the vortex in 10 days' time - stretch is quite clear and visible.

Could contain: Ct Scan

So - forget the first half of January. I would almost suggest everyone take a week away from the models, maybe even 10 days, and come back and see if any change is in the offing. Pray that the Euro High ridges towards the Urals in the meantime.

Excellent post. Mirrors my thoughts exactly re euro heights and searching for a SSW etc.

• Insightful 2

Posted

Morning all, well I’m still chasing for a miracle a more convincing Scandi high compared to 12z stronger and oriented further south which is better. It’s interesting how unresolved this area still is models clearly struggle. Still, it seems unlikely  to stop the bowling ball of doom. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Map

• Like 2

Posted

The stronger more resilient Scandi high is having an impact here. Compare day 6. Interesting….. the euro heights are being dragged up could be beneficial in this case.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

No joy slips east still think there is some mileage in this. The Scandi high has been consistently trending stronger and more steady, if any model which would identify it first it will be ECMWF. The stronger the block the more the lows should disrupt.

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, AccessoriesCould contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Art, Nature

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

No joy slips east still think there is some mileage in this. The Scandi high has been consistently trending stronger and more steady, if any model which would identify it first it will be ECMWF. The stronger the block the more the lows should disrupt.

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, AccessoriesCould contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Art, Nature

The problem is the high isn’t orientated favourably. It needs a ne sw alignment to face head on the  troughing .

The ECM at day 5 was quite encouraging and had the best set up . The UKMO the worst as it blows up the shortwave over the UK day 4 and doesn’t easily absorb the one to the north day 5 .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Day 10 GFS and ECM they’re at very different places…. the EPS mean well represented this run last night with Azores on an axis which is much more conducive to more sustained colder PM shots, so you can have a bit more confidence in this solution. I don’t even think day 4 is sorted though! 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, GraphicsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Art

• Like 3

Posted

The GEFS in FI are showing more and more blocked charts each run, here’s a few from the 00z.

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Graphics, Art, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Outdoors

Could contain: Art, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Graphics

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Understandably, many on here continue to look for signs of an imminent arctic blast accompanied by widespread heavy snow which remains possible for at least another 10 weeks.  However, this is also the time of year for Atlantic driven wind storms and with the increasingly turbulent atmosphere and warming seas we could see record breaking storms in the same way we have seen record breaking high and low temperatures in very recent times.  I will be keeping an eye out for the earliest signs of Atlantic storms over the next few weeks, like these charts from the GFS (way into FI but worth watching….)

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors   978D8BA4-0EDF-4F32-A654-4847BA5195F9.thumb.gif.394d5fd04ebd737594fcdd29a227b245.gif

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Regarding the Scandi high .

I think one more days outputs should decide whether even though unable to directly influence the weather on the ground as it edges east it could hang on in a more favourable position and add more forcing to direct the jet more se into the UK.

After the Scandi high moves  east the models paint an unsettled picture . Some variation though in how much suppression we see of the Euro high .

By day ten the ECM has the more favourable upstream pattern with a better chance of a more potent PM shot .

I’d remain wary though of the Euro high in the later outputs as the models seem to going on recent performance have been premature in either flattening it or displacing it further west and north .

The movement of the MJO does though favour some change so I’d say the odds slightly favour the more amplified upstream solutions .

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3