Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

We’ll always have Paris!…nooo. We’ll always have P17! 😱 😜 🥶 

Could contain: Hat, Clothing, Photography, Cowboy Hat, Sun Hat, Person, Head, FaceCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Deep cold at every corner ! Yet getting incursion into the uk is graft an, a half ! It’s not even problematic energy syncs.. it’s just the fold of being a maritime island plonk in the middle of absorbing cold landmass latitudes!! .. with such formats in the top hemisphere.. we surely have to nick the cherry punet soon!!

BDF09E88-7A6C-4CA0-864A-2BC0EDEF3851.gif

• Like 4

Posted
32 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

We’ll always have Paris!…nooo. We’ll always have P17! 😱😜🥶 

Could contain: Hat, Clothing, Photography, Cowboy Hat, Sun Hat, Person, Head, FaceCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

Yeah that would do 🥶❄️

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Deep cold at every corner ! Yet getting incursion into the uk is graft an, a half ! It’s not even problematic energy syncs.. it’s just the fold of being a maritime island plonk in the middle of absorbing cold landmass latitudes!! .. with such formats in the top hemisphere.. we surely have to nick the cherry punet soon!!

BDF09E88-7A6C-4CA0-864A-2BC0EDEF3851.gif

It's all down to the Euro slug!!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Yeah that would do 🥶❄️

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Giant gold nuggets in a field of tin.. however keep detecting and ya have to find at least some gold.. the mjo forcing is soon to override!.. I’m done with teleconections- atm for the stark reasons of my former post! ..minimal land mass encroachment- and dynamics of massive miss- direction!!!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

It's all down to the Euro slug!!

Indeed! That geographically have to land exactly on point- for a singular block format to cold drafting into the uk,,!!!

Posted
Just now, tight isobar said:

Indeed! That geographically have to land exactly on point- for a singular block format to cold drafting into the uk,,!!!

Until it moves, we may as well give up searching for cold!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Well, there is the coldest this ECM run gets, ouch.

ECM0-144.gif

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

And there's the heights to the south again its just like a bad smell.

Another symptom of climate change!  Yesterday it looked like it may have been on its last legs but it's here to stay today!!

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Don said:

Most certainly! And Angular momentum/ mjo orbital plots etc etc mean jack all to our island!! Here’s a perfect snapshot - example of simple consequence!!

7E61B561-A832-4D14-92B6-628120D035DD.gif

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

Most certainly! And Angular momentum/ mjo orbital plots etc etc mean jack all to our island!! Here’s a perfect snapshot - example of simple consequence!!

7E61B561-A832-4D14-92B6-628120D035DD.gif

I hear the frustration, want to torque about it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

I hear the frustration, want to torque about it?

Trolly through - mountain torque syncs-the rolling plots evade anything uk bound- we could have record breaking HLB- with eye watering height pressure- And still sit in the shovel plots!!!!!🙄🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

I'm gonna make a prediction here. After viewing all the ens from gfs I've noticed that many are removing those stubborn iberian heights! We've got more of a mid Atlantic ridge at times and there's plenty of pv stretching evident.

If we lose those Southern heights we should start to see some influence from the MJO which could promote a little better positioning of Blocking...couple this with pv displacement or possible split and we could be looking at a more productive 2nd half of the month.

But I'm feeling a little more confident we can rid ourselves of that pain in the ass slug.

The shorter term remaining more mobile with colder intrusions from the NW at times. I noticed the BBC monthly the other day was pointing towards this colder 2nd part of January,and the potential for some strat weakening...yet the met give no mention whatsoever!! I for one hope they're wrong...but i actually feel they will be wrong.

I think some are throwing the towel in far to easy this evening..The point being is..forget about the next 10 days...and look towards mid month for things to change..That High will not remain rooted to that spot indefinitely.

It may actually decide to move come Summer 🤣

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Outdoors, Graphics, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The ECM builds a strong Russian high just as the limpet Euro slug was heading nw and the likely scenario is it sticks troughing over the UK and stops an eastwards progression of that when more amplitude upstream was likely to develop ! Yuk did someone run over a black cat ! 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Evening all 🙂

Plenty of interest this evening in the 12Z suite. It looks as though we will move from a briefly fairly benign spell into a more unsettled and colder spell (nothing remarkable in that) with PM domination over the weekend. GFS OP backed off on that a little but ECM has tantalised with height rises to the NE and the possibility of the trough aligning slightly negative through northern Europe.

GFS OP in FI will have piqued interest - there were LRFs which offered a more anticyclonic spell in mid to late January so kudos if it proves accurate. The Wave 1 and 2 pressure on the PV looks considerable to mid month and the synoptic charts in far FI - while not offering much for snow fans - are showing -8 850s which would be cold.

In the more immediate, the rain continues albeit perhaps less intense than it has been:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Face, Head

No real surprises there with North Wales due for nearly 6 inches in old money but higher numbers through southern counties suggesting, as we've seen, secondary LP features and troughs running along the Channel coast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
32 minutes ago, Don said:

Yep ,sad to say you are right Don,  need to climb a hill to see anything wintry 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

I find EC interesting. Compared to 24 hrs ago, it makes much more of the Scandi/Russian heights and the trough disrupting.
Eventually it has a little bit of a January 2012 flavour to it, with that Russian High, and the heights lowering over Europe.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

At least there are things to watch in the output, even within the 10 day range.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

I find EC interesting. Compared to 24 hrs ago, it makes much more of the Scandi/Russian heights and the trough disrupting.
Eventually it has a little bit of a January 2012 flavour to it, with that Russian High, and the heights lowering over Europe.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

At least there are things to watch in the output, even within the 10 day range.

The problem with those bloated Russian highs is they rarely deliver . I think the last one I can remember was that exceptional spell in February 2012. I was living in sw France then near Lourdes and the cold was something else.  The Garonne river further north started to freeze over . And I’m sure in your location they were able to skate on the canals .

• Like 1