Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

The problem is the high isn’t orientated favourably. It needs a ne sw alignment to face head on the  troughing .

The ECM at day 5 was quite encouraging and had the best set up . The UKMO the worst as it blows up the shortwave over the UK day 4 and doesn’t easily absorb the one to the north day 5 .

What I've noticed is we are still talking day 5 with the high, however it now shows weak before day five and strengthens, also the pattern behind still has the same lows, so the high does hold things up, behind it changes slightly every run, as in what the lows do. I'm not sure it's at the full resolution yet, but time is running out. I hope it doesn't get pushed aside, cold wise. But if I'm honest, it would be better for my pocket.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
2 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

I'm going to copy over my pretty much non-biased (hopefully) texted forecast long-term to one of my friends...

Firstly, we have the Atmospheric Angular Momentum (AAM) which is the amount of torque or rotational force in the atmosphere… Positive AAM (+VE means positive… 

2009_01_29.gif?w=676

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Heat Map

We do for sure have some incredible model output and chart analyser’s in here. The knowledge by some is just out of this world! 🌍 (Although I appreciate all the posts people do in here no matter how big, small, technical, non-technical they are). 🙂

If you were to write a book about the weather, and/or some kind of guide to the models, I bet it would get sold out faster than a flash of lightning. 😂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

It's always a trade off having a Scandi. Scuero high place that doesn't directly bring cold to the UK.

The downside is that they simply hold a mild wet trough in place over the UK or they just aid the barrelling of lows across the UK and up past Northern scandi in a perpetual mild wet and windy regime for us.

The upside is that they allow very cold air to build in the Scandi locale so that when the next bout of sufficient amplification  comes round there is at least some cold air in place to advected southwest towards th UK.

The key is getting that next bout of amplification into play.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Mogreps hasn`t deviated too much from it`s output on the 31st. 1st chart goes to Jan 8th, 0Z Jan 2nd does show possibly a trend cooler by the 10th but nothing eye catching.

1st image is a jpeg output from here, other a screenshot. Same stuff.

Could contain: Line Chart, Chart

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The eps control shows that if the first push of the trough is less clean then things aren’t that far from being interesting- were still likely to fall short though with things as they currently look

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The GFS 06 hrs run T114 hrs is quite similar to the ECM 00hrs run to T120 hrs although the former makes more of that very annoying shortwave off the coast of Norway .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Dare I say it but I think we are going to be stuck in this rut for the rest of the month, can't see any other trend or backround signals to convince me otherwise...😦

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Dare I say it but I think we are going to be stuck in this rut for the rest of the month, can't see any other trend or backround signals to convince me otherwise...😦

Just the 30 days then ………

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
20 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Sad to say you could be right , latest model output also seem to be downgrading any PM shots 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
58 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

It does seem that, whilst there is little appetite for a full on SSW any time soon, the forecast warmings up top could start playing havoc with the SPV, stretching it here and pushing it there.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Head, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Sea, Water
2853D376-340C-4F40-AE4A-A72BE5EE08F1.thumb.gif.f06c980891012f48215a3bbfecde2a26.gifAD07DAA6-126F-43FE-B214-B365794809BC.thumb.gif.496896113da022e2b5721c0d504107ee.gif
A slow down up top coming into view. Yes, nothing significant, but maybe it won’t need to be?

Could contain: Plot, Chart

And, last but not least,  you’d have to assume this won’t be without huge consequence with regards to the NH atmosphere, off the scale…

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person

My take away is a mobile first half of January but literally anything goes as we get past mid month. 

My thoughts are along a similar line S4L. Writing off the whole of January on the second day of the month because the current outlook is mobile would foolish.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

I feel for your pain with the comments comming your way after that statement🤣

Can see where you are comming from tho...I personally think something may crop up after or around mid month similar to what gfs 06z is trying to do with heights forming around Iceland.  

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Yep charts like this and repeating warmings scream normal January mild weather... 

Could contain: Art, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Face, Person, Head, Map

I no longer look at the new GFS as it has been terrible 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, KTtom said:

I feel for your pain with the comments comming your way after that statement🤣

Can see where you are comming from tho...I personally think something may crop up after or around mid month similar to what gfs 06z is trying to do with heights forming around Iceland.  

Indeed. And not being able to see where the next cold, snowy spell is going to come from, isn't quite the same as writing off the entire month of January... I can't see where it's going to come from either, But I ain't writing anything off.:santa-emoji:

• Like 7

Posted
23 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

This could get us out of the rut. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Art

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
25 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Encouraging GEFS so far to day 7 with the Euro high either flattened or displaced further west.

European ski resorts will be praying this trend continues as it’s been a horror show for the last few weeks especially for lower altitude stations .

Yes! I’m due to ski in the Pyrenees from the 20th. You’d think between now and then we could get some precipitation down there! 

The same necessity down there is what we need up here to shift this pattern along i.e. low pressure to the south. Although, some potent Pm shots heading SE would also do the trick! The last time I skied down there was Jan 2013 and the snow was excellent but the month featured a lot of low pressure over Spain.

• Like 3