Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

First halves of Januaries in the UK are in the main quite boring atlantic driven affairs. The reason I say this is the fact it is my birthday next week. I think I can only recall probably 4 ocassions tops where I have seen a snow flake drop on my birthday - and I will be 5 decades old in just over a year. My son's birthday is at the end of Jan and I can recall several snow events on his birthday - he is in his late teens. 

4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yes they can be, remember the tropical storm that might have shortened our last cold spell, that was a bowling ball, and only in the last three days was it shown by most to flatten and go under, and was one hundred percent agree till 48 hours if I remember right, might have been a day earlier for both.

This one is coming in from a more usual direction though so I expect the models to pretty much have it nailed. Hope I'm wrong though. 

• Like 7

Posted
9 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

First halves of Januaries in the UK are in the main quite boring atlantic driven affairs. The reason I say this is the fact it is my birthday next week. I think I can only recall probably 4 ocassions tops where I have seen a snow flake drop on my birthday - and I will be 5 decades old in just over a year. My son's birthday is at the end of Jan and I can recall several snow events on his birthday - he is in his late teens. 

Yes an extraordinary stat but for whatever reason early January has been mild zonal over several decades. 

• Like 3

Posted

Not pretending in any way to be a strat expert but I think this looks like a good starting point synoptic wise. This is the gfs mean at 8 days. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Graphics, Art, Pattern, Accessories

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Same old for the reliable time frame the normal tease thrown up in lala land. I'm already thinking one of the mildest January's on record if not the mildest could well be a possibility this early on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

I know it's only the 2nd of January, but let's hope the strat forecasts are onto something and we see a warming or a full on SSW.

Because the model viewing is quite simply turgid at the moment, let's hope for some interest in the second half of Jan and into February.

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
23 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

This one is coming in from a more usual direction though so I expect the models to pretty much have it nailed. Hope I'm wrong though. 

I bet my Birthday ( April 3rd ) has seem more snow than yours 

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Same old for the reliable time frame the normal tease thrown up in lala land. I'm already thinking one of the mildest January's on record if not the mildest could well be a possibility this early on.

It doesn't look very mild to me. Uppers are below zero most of the time. Temps between 6 and 10C whilst boring and zonal is certainly not record breaking mild

• Like 7

Posted

Our folks in Latvia said it turned mild since New Year’s Eve with 10c quite widely, and we were there only a week ago with -3 to 3c at best. 

Looks like Riga will be back in the chiller come Wednesday with temps barely scraping 0c and -8 daytime by Friday.

4 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

It doesn't look very mild to me. Uppers are below zero most of the time. Temps between 6 and 10C whilst boring and zonal is certainly not record breaking mild

I agree. It’s nowhere near record breaking. Last new year was much milder over our shores before it turned colder into the first week of January.

• Like 3

Posted

Nothing record breaking in our part of the world yet. I do think the key word here is 'yet' though. With the persistence of heights to our south its just a matter of time before we tap into something very warm for the time of year. 

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Why not though? We all chase cold FI charts which rarely come off, currently nothing is showing cold but why should that be correct? We have strat warming, MJO into phase 7 and other factors as mentioned above. 
The only thing fir me not screaming chances later Jan is the METO long range , which is hopefully wrong 😬😬

FI on this run is quite interesting with the build of heights to our east and elongated PV!! 
We need some good ENS runs now 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature

Admire the optimism here but despite a few desirable FI charts it’s a bland outlook.

Whilst I appreciate this is a forum for discussing model data we also need to be realistic and make fair evaluations based on evidence. Aside from a few toasty strat charts it’s pretty grim for cold. If you’re looking for cold and snow we are miles away sadly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Nothing record breaking in our part of the world yet. I do think the key word here is 'yet' though. With the persistence of heights to our south its just a matter of time before we tap into something very warm for the time of year. 

I think there is just as much chance of something record breaking coming from the north.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
14 minutes ago, weathercold said:

Admire the optimism here but despite a few desirable FI charts it’s a bland outlook.

Whilst I appreciate this is a forum for discussing model data we also need to be realistic and make fair evaluations based on evidence. Aside from a few toasty strat charts it’s pretty grim for cold. If you’re looking for cold and snow we are miles away sadly.

Aye a few thousand, we have also lost the PM shots thst were showing up a few days ago 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, johncam said:

Aye a few thousand, we have also lost the PM shots thst were showing up a few days ago 

At least you have the Highlands not so far away, which up until now at least have avoided the dross, most other parts of the UK have endured!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow
1 minute ago, Don said:

At least you have the Highlands not so far away, which up until now at least have avoided the dross, most other parts of the UK have endured!

Last couple of days east coast of Scotland has gotten bitter again. Looking to the models for an easterly now though! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, Don said:

models downgraded though for his area, dropping the PM air, not really a downgrade for us

Posted

There is a fair amount of blocking at T336 in the latest GEFS, it’s not all in the same place but may indicate a change!! 

Some examples below. Deep FI may have more. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Art, Outdoors, Graphics, Modern Art, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Hurricane, Storm

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

According to the live forecast just now "absolutely know sign of any cold weather and the warmth across Europe to continue. 😒😒😒

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
14 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

There is a fair amount of blocking at T336 in the latest GEFS, it’s not all in the same place but may indicate a change!! 

Some examples below. Deep FI may have more. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Art, Outdoors, Graphics, Modern Art, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Hurricane, Storm

At T+336 ! If only.....😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

According to the live forecast just now "absolutely know sign of any cold weather and the warmth across Europe to continue. 😒😒😒

What live forecast?

• Like 1