Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - July 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning

Not had anything today in Bromley but the clouds have been indicative of an unstable atmosphere:

I don't think we were supposed to get excited about the AM stuff. I'm hoping that Nodrog will film the post-frontal stuff this evening.  Edit: Cloud cover is a bit of a concern though. Currently the whole of GB is grey

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by Tamsin
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Always the same here in Sheffield storms always go either east or west of us or have storms to the south which die out before they hit us and then storms form just to the north of Sheffield you literally couldn't make it up. 

We need some balance here because it does depend on where you live and what sort of views you have. I have to travel about 5 mins to get an uninterrupted view to the W/NW or N for example, but I have good views to the E/SE/S just a very short walk away (<2 mins).

It's wishful thinking to expect a direct hit everytime, it rarely happens and when reading reports on the storm section of a weather forum it can give a rather skewed picture of just how many of us are really experiencing an overhead thunderstorm.

Yes, today the storms missed Sheffield to the east but, with a decent view in that direction there was an excellent opportunity to see cg lightning as well as good storm structure. We should appreciate what we do get, rather than lament what we don't. For those with half an interest, Sheffield has done fine for storms this year - other spots have done better, some far worse 🙂 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

How is the messy area of rain in the south going to impact things across the Mids? Lots of cloud here, kind of doubting if it will break..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
26 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Another boring event down here.

We might do better on Sunday,or late Monday into Tuesday.

On the face of it nothing much on offer but we know some of these fronts/ troughs can spring a pleasant surprise in a SW flow during the summer.

The fax chart not without interest in that respect.

The form horse would be a load of frontal crud of course!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Metweather has a very interesting point for Southern/Central England tonight. As forecasted a few rotating supercells could occur in an untapped environment.

Edited by The Tall Weatherman
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

IMG_0400.thumb.jpeg.b6def00f73560e7ee7cea9b1211acbd6.jpeg

Thats one impressive line of storm cells running the entirety of Wales from north to South.  Newport and up into the valleys currently seeing some very heavy rainfall along with recent sferics.

Mean while, in my locality, we have had a day of cloud cover, humidity and on/off rainfall.  Not quite the sunshine and isolated showers the MetO suggested last night.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

We might do better on Sunday,or late Monday into Tuesday.

On the face of it nothing much on offer but we know some of these fronts/ troughs can spring a pleasant surprise in a SW flow during the summer.

The fax chart not without interest in that respect.

The form horse would be a load of frontal crud of course!

UKV just shows some dynamic rainfall for the SE tomorrow.

viewimagenc.thumb.png.af1558494d4dc9c60a4084e0015d8f9c.png

Other than that, models don't show much in the way of rain for here in the coming week.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

@TJS1998Tom's 'just heavy showers' guess in tatters as the storms ignite over the Welsh borders.

image.thumb.png.7d5c8f5a6b1ec275c392d0a83f34c690.png

I may have spoken too soon as usual lol, still early in the afternoon I guess, does look very convective outside still 

Edited by TJS1998Tom
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I’ve got a thunderstorm closing in on me. 🌩️⛈️😁👌🏻👍🏻

Plus here’s the latest rainfall and lightning maps. 👍🏻

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Things really getting going across Wales now and expect the radar may kick into life for some areas within the highest risk zones in the storm forecasts. Shame we just had a muggy soggy day so far here in the W country, but it was expected.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
Just now, Chris K said:

Things really getting going across Wales now and expect the radar may kick into life for some areas within the highest risk zones in the storm forecasts. Shame we just had a muggy soggy day so far here in the W country, but it was expected.

Wasn't the North East meant to have the worst? Seems more active over wales :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Hola from Espana! Looks exciting back at home. Currently 38c on the Costa Blanca! Valencia apparently had ice blocks in the form of hail flooding down the street the other day! Noticed all AcCas floating by, and CB’s in the distance, but nothing materialised here in Alicante. Saw some cumulus fields over the mountains earlier, but that looks to have all but gone. 
good luck back at home with chasing! I’m missing out! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Rain has arrived. It was ridiculously humid this morning so quite the relief.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
1 minute ago, Neilsouth said:

Wasn't the North East meant to have the worst? Seems more active over wales 😛

One of U.K. weatherworlds convective experts suggested a more westerly development 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

The worst/best is meant to be across northwest England and to the west of the Peak District.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

had some very heavy rain and a few claps of thunder

nothing special

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, Thunders said:

if we had tropical heat come over here for a week or so, would we see more frequent storms in that time?

Yes, provided it came with some kind of heat low. See August 2020. There were all sorts of tropical-style storms about that week, although despite living in NE Hants at the time, I got nothing apart from some distant popcorn storms flashing away & then collapsing! 

Posted

Had about an hour or two of light rain, now it’s just drizzle with thick cloud. Doesn’t look like this cloud will clear anytime soon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

Torrential rain now,  though the sun is trying to poke through , which will no doubt provide more showers .  Feeling humid when sun shines through . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
30 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

We need some balance here because it does depend on where you live and what sort of views you have. I have to travel about 5 mins to get an uninterrupted view to the W/NW or N for example, but I have good views to the E/SE/S just a very short walk away (<2 mins).

It's wishful thinking to expect a direct hit everytime, it rarely happens and when reading reports on the storm section of a weather forum it can give a rather skewed picture of just how many of us are really experiencing an overhead thunderstorm.

Yes, today the storms missed Sheffield to the east but, with a decent view in that direction there was an excellent opportunity to see cg lightning as well as good storm structure. We should appreciate what we do get, rather than lament what we don't. For those with half an interest, Sheffield has done fine for storms this year - other spots have done better, some far worse 🙂 

I am not saying you can't see it in the distance I mean from where I live you Could see the lightning to the east in the distance and could clearly hear the thunder but you can guarantee the majority of the storms track just east of the M1 and head north over Rotherham and North over Doncaster and out towards the Humber. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
17 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Give it time, most models develop more through the afternoon/evening 😄

• Like 1