Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Very happy with this mornings runs..

EC has a run of well below average temps from the end of this week onwards .

You can't get a better time of year for a cold ridge..

image.thumb.png.053bdf414edf6d1115346e3b1d5b8974.png

Superb conditions for Xmas markets - Friday evening temps are already sub zero in the North and a cold weekend follows...

Like the Chatsworth House Christmas market:cold-emoji: 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

And here is where we all learn the value of having multiple forecasting models 😁I know we all like to have a good laugh at GFS and the like but all popular models have their merits at some point. Otherwise they wouldn't continue to be used.

Edited by CryoraptorA303
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Dennis said:

well i thought it would bring some hope (more) on winter in december

im  sorry then (im a long range forecaster) into my studies of strato and tropo

However, now it’s beginning to get some gefs support with a small mean height anomoly by day 15 we shouldn’t discount it ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
8 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Disappointing to see the blocking signal fade away past 144 on the latest runs, but still perhaps some wintery showers for a few this weekend.

Note sure what icon is doing, looks hopelessly wrong at just 90 hours.

ecmwfnh-0-90.png

iconnh-0-90.png

arpegenh-0-90.png

gfsnh-0-90.png

ICON keeps churning out the same thing with the low further east and heights not building at all really, even as pretty much every other model has shifted now, don't think it is a very good model to be honest but not sure on its verification stats.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
53 minutes ago, knocker said:

There is a strong rumour doing the rounds that this thread is going to be renamed the gymkhana thread.😉

Where a laugh emoji when you need one, lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
3 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Disappointing to see the blocking signal fade away past 144 on the latest runs, but still perhaps some wintery showers for a few this weekend.

ecmwfnh-0-90.png

iconnh-0-90.png

arpegenh-0-90.png

gfsnh-0-90.png

It's early days yet, can't hope for much in ENSO+ November.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mcconnor8 said:

ICON keeps churning out the same thing with the low further east and heights not building at all really, even as pretty much every other model has shifted now, don't think it is a very good model to be honest but not sure on its verification stats.

It's nailed the beast from the east in 2018 over the other models, and was having non of the Xmas day 2021 cold snap, other than that we just look at it because its the first model that comes out with the latest data

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
42 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

And here is where we all learn the value of having multiple forecasting models 😁I know we all like to have a good laugh at GFS and the like but all popular models have their merits at some point. Otherwise they wouldn't continue to be used.

The past however many years I have been on NW the GFS seems to be the one when it comes to snow under 48 hours out. 

The FI charts are laughable but they seem to have some of the most accurate short term charts. They pretty much nailed the past few years of when and where snow would fall in my neck of the woods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
41 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

It's nailed the beast from the east in 2018 over the other models, and was having non of the Xmas day 2021 cold snap, other than that we just look at it because its the first model that comes out with the latest data

Yeah it does come out quickly so I do watch it too, just wasnt sure how it has done historically but doesn't sound bad, strange it is so far away from every other model here but sure it will catch up today.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

Yeah it does come out quickly so I do watch it too, just wasnt sure how it has done historically but doesn't sound bad, strange it is so far away from every other model here but sure it will catch up today.

If ICON came out after / during GFS / UKM it would not get any airtime.... wheeled out when there is a sniff of winter.  

1 hour ago, Battleground Snow said:

ecmwfnh-0-90.png

iconnh-0-90.png

arpegenh-0-90.png

gfsnh-0-90.png

Imo nothing looks flat after 168h just a pause in the northwards push in blocking which is to be expected in a phase of amplification cycles.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Well just typical for the Gfs 06z, it’s now undoing the buttons as regards the phantom cold spell in true Gfs Style.😂

Yes, but let's be fair here. A week ago, ECM and others had us almost in Euro slug territory, or at least a very flat jet. The GFS was correct in seeing a pressure build in Greenland, which will probably lead to a significant pattern change. At least on this occasion, we can be happy that the GFS was 'mostly' right - otherwise, if we judge the model as always inferior, then why bother looking at it at all !

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Posted

from a very low base ICON has improved somewhat on its 06Z effort - low pressure less round / more acute angle and heights much stronger into Greenland - GFS take note!

image.thumb.png.71044ab7fa70583cb9fd2847677fe429.png

• Like 2

Posted

12z’s, time for a back track back to the freezer me thinks 🥶🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

@Kirkcaldy Weather - I am a little confused due to reading back and catching up on some of the thread. ECM/GFS and now ICON arguments etc so forgive me I'm almost tired.

Find that last chart intriguing. Assuming it's not Day After Tomorrow, but what is the event the adjacent chart showing, the days before and after what? Is that before and after a Phase in MJO or an SSW etc?

image.thumb.png.6770cda5812551cd5bf2605ffddc3baa.png

• Like 1

Posted

Let’s remind ourselves what ECM was showing nearly 48 hours ago a flat mild westerly typical +NAO pattern. The vast majority of EPS did not have much interest either. So it strikes me this model underestimated MJO forcing meanwhile GFS more effectively expressed it. It’s fair to say this has not been the models finest hour. Verifications stats are posted but in reality there is not an actual significance difference between them, perhaps some models excel better in North Atlantic region. None is perfect.

IMG_0363.thumb.png.ba057d89a6d1c7776855076861f1e6a2.png

now for 24th

IMG_0365.thumb.png.91ba669966108f45da7d444a8c98a047.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 9