Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Babet

Summer Sun

Posted

And the tides, the timing of tides for tidal rivers with towns at the sea is important given swollen rivers. That’s the case in cork, large tidal rivers there entering the sea. One of these years there’s going to be some truly bad floods given the climate is now 7% wetter at least in winter and likely to double in my opinion over the next 30 years just as more buildings on flood plains and incompetent water management to say the least.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Looking at the radar, seems to be pepping up as it moves north, was that the thinking?

Edited by Nick123
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

Looking at the radar, seems to be pepping up as it moves north, was that the thinking?

Was heavier down here than the radar was showing, do it's probably just showing right. I'm soaked lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very blustery here with gusts picking up and showers turning more frequent, some moderate rain on the way looking at radar. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Pressure now rising here as Babet moves away, having left 20mm of rain (currently) and the winds have dropped out and are now back to the usual SW/W.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
15 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Was heavier down here than the radar was showing, do it's probably just showing right. I'm soaked lol

I really noticed how it was under-reporting the intensity of the rain in North London earlier

Posted
1 minute ago, daveinSB said:

I really noticed how it was under-reporting the intensity of the rain in North London earlier

I looked at the loop zoomed in on the area, and it did show a red pulse, it's just localised so doesn't show unless zoomed in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

What are your guys thoughts on Friday? Metoffice has rain for North East from late Thursday till sat lunchtime? Yet bbc suggested rain further south??

Posted

In my opinion it's very much a now-cast situation regarding locality of the worst rain fall amounts, At the moment further East and North Scotland, Possibly North Midlands/Yorkshire/Lakes over Friday...

Screenshot_20231018_193055_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.08a72f5ea9380d89155b7d64fe520102.jpg

Driving rain here rattleing against the windows currently with very blustery winds.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Is there a name for Friday's storm?

Same one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Blimey how does it manage to stay around for many days?!

Stalls against the high over Scandinavia, it’s the main reason some areas are going to see exceptional rainfall. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Blimey how does it manage to stay around for many days?!

Very slow moving Beka, with fronts wrapped around it. Also picking a lot of moisture up as the low travels North as it draws warmer air with it.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Stalls against the high over Scandinavia, it’s the main reason some areas are going to see exceptional rainfall. 

Aaaah!!!

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Pretty wild out there.

Just had a 57mph gust and the rain has been fairly relentless and often heavy since 1pm.

Wind has steadily increased through the afternoon and some high gusts now as the rain seems to be clearing a little.

Posted

just as well I popped into CBYC last eve to check CBYC ribs and sea cadet craft as well made sure club ribs elephants trunks were down for draining water etc, wind has died off, but still raining in cardiff tho

Posted

We've clocked up 20mm, on already well wetted ground. I suspect many others in southern England have enjoyed the same today.

I suspect we could see an amber warning in the south, depending on the exact track, for Friday. 

Posted

Still under heavy red rain, have been for a while, most if Kent, orographic?

Seems to reduce north of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

It looks like it will all be known as Storm Babet over the UK, one huge event of wind and rain, it is just a communication tool, to alert the public about upcoming severe weather and to help get across the message to prepare and stay alert. 

However, on a technicality, IPMA, the Portuguese Met service has named a low which will move over Iberia. There are numerous warnings for Spain on Thursday for wind, heavy rain and coastal dangers/large waves. This is Storm Aline, the first named storm of the Southwestern Group, their A. It seems to deepen as the low over SE England by lunchtime Friday.

https://twitter.com/AEMET_Esp/status/1714632454600864070

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Winds are stronger here now babet has moved through coming in from the south west, always the strongest wind direction here, rain also easing.

Is this just a secondary low from the parent low known as babet passing through from the south? I'm a bit confused...

Edited by Freeze
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Still under heavy red rain, have been for a while, most if Kent, orographic?

Seems to reduce north of us.

Much more rain here than I was expecting. Currently at 27.1mm and quite warm again for a while earlier when the rain was at its heaviest (for the time of year).

IMG_8286.thumb.jpeg.4b12967a45b9f1d1751f2c63508f528d.jpeg

Have a newly discovered leak in the flat roof above our porch/downstairs loo thanks to today’s rain. Need to do an emergency patch job on it tomorrow before it really gets going on Friday!

Edited by lottiekent
  • Thanks 1