Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

So, from where I live the peak wind speeds from about 6-8am this morning have been quite gusty, thankfully not powerful enough to make the rubbish bins go astray, besides a few branches that have come off, thankfully there's no damage around my local area.

I think we have dodged the worst of it somehow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Tornados and Windstsorms.
1 minute ago, Metwatch said:

Not really no, the smaller low next to Ireland gets aborbed within the flow of the main low. You can sometimes get the Fujiwhara effect, (interesting to read about it with a search on google) with 2 cyclones interacting each other, don't think that's happening with the lows around the UK, I don't think so anyway.

All right thanks for giving me more info about this effect. If that is the case then its one of the first time we see it happening in the British Isles on Satellite. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
5 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Not really no, the smaller low next to Ireland gets aborbed within the flow of the main low. You can sometimes get the Fujiwhara effect, (interesting to read about it with a search on google) with 2 cyclones interacting each other, don't think that's happening with the lows around the UK, I don't think so anyway.

Same effect as a long wave trough with smaller short wave troughs in its circulation.

Posted
53 minutes ago, Thunderspotter said:

Over here the gusts are barely worth considering a storm. It's just a breezy day, nothing out of the ordinary. Didn't even get to see the storms in the channel before they died out!

I've got a feeling a lot of people are going to complain about the inaccuracies of the Met or other services... Imo they did a good job as mentioned a few hours ago. The warning impact matrix was more or less bang on. 

They are spot on including the rain, which is problematic for many. We've some localised flooding for the 4th time since September, in Swindon and surrounding rural areas. A yellow warning was well deserved. We haven't lost the trains through Swindon this time thankfully. There has even been a landslide in Liddington near Swindon, but I don't have any more details yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.
1 hour ago, Gonzolio Martinez said:

It's from a relatively low cost digital weather station with a sensor that sits outside - tbf if it's a couple of mbars off, it's no biggie

As said in the other thread,

946 from my Bresser station is a new record, then! Looking back at the telltale, the lowest was actually 945.3 at 08:15 this morning.

PS IN terms of calibration, I have a Kestrel calibrated 5400 heat stress tracker that reads the same within 0.2hPa.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

What I can't wrap my head around is that looking at the synoptics we had a very intensely deep area of low pressure around 955mb pass just to the north of here producing around 40 odd mph gusts, yet flabby 990mb lows passing to the north of Scotland can produce much stronger winds? Weather is truly mysterious and fascinating!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
32 minutes ago, Tamara said:

The Channel Islands & NW France clearly took the brunt of last nights storm. It could be deemed ironic that areas very much further away from the centre of Ciaran have seen higher impact weather conditions than across much of the inland parts of southern England that the storm has tracked with the lowest pressure.

Very strong winds have been recorded all the way down to the north of Portugal, though clearly not on anything the same level as the Channel Islands & NW France.   The very powerful jet streak has brought polar maritime air all the way south east & the Serra de Estrala mountain range has snow above 1400 metres

image.thumb.png.c26399504e4439c5e82bc602d61d07c2.pngimage.thumb.png.071fb4ae39d5678e77658dc156138887.pngimage.thumb.png.d3721c50ae6c39b6b70f8bf6b298dc6a.pngimage.thumb.png.e0a05dac994327a1954d260e07eee5e1.pngimage.thumb.png.2fb21ce1897197ebfafb8d1779caee1c.png

At the much lower altitudes the wind has been in evidence - gusting up to 110km on coasts, mainly again, in more northern parts of the country.

https://fb.watch/o3mx2rTAQu/

Though its been very gusty even here locally this morning when blustery showers move through.

This very powerful jet pattern arcing SE out of Canada & Newfoundland has sustained for over a fortnight, with Ciaran being the biggest peak (though another deep low to come this weekend) & there are only now signs of a flatter pattern coming, though still mobile & quite unsettled over more North West parts of Europe.

Wonder @Tamarawith whether this is kelvin wave driven and because of AAM rises? There are drivers of why the weather is the way it is currently.    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
4 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Wonder @Tamarawith whether this is kelvin wave driven and because of AAM rises? There are drivers of why the weather is the way it is currently.    

In the long run, you can link Kelvin-Rossby waves to almost anything and they would've had an influence. However, small scale synoptics will still have influenced the constant battering of low's (small scale influences can be attributed to the Kelvin-Rossby waves as I'm not talking about grid or subgrid level stuff here but it just depends whether you want to go a fortnight or longer back to be able to attribute the AAM to this pattern. If you think about it in forecasting terms, you can predict the next couple weeks with the behaviour of Kelvin-Rossby waves but you can't predict the individual highs and lows themselves just with the waves). So it just depends whether you're talking about pattern or an individual low pressure. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Penguin16 said:

I just woke up after the night shift. What was the highest gust in mainland England and what was the highest gust in France and Channel Islands? Cheers

Jersey appears to have reached 100mph. No major Met Office reporting stations topped 80mph on the mainland. Not sure about France but I think there might have been 180km/h gusts?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

Still, very gusty here and the wind making eerie noises branches bending and snapping  . The rain has stopped for now but roads in and around Taunton are awful. 

It must have been a forecast nightmare and I think the met o did very well. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and all extreme weather! :)

Is anyone else having these issues when accessing pages on the Netweather Community site?

image.thumb.png.57fbd0ef6a376143f154161cf4bb337c.png

Edit: Seems to be back now.

Edited by Thunderspotter
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

Thats some of the worst tornado damage ive ever seen in the UK, roof completely ripped off. 

Edited by WeatherArc
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
5 minutes ago, Thunderspotter said:

Is anyone else having these issues when accessing pages on the Netweather Community site?

Had that various times over the last 24 hours. A lot of forums struggle when there are times of high traffic.

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, WeatherArc said:

Thats some of the worst tornado damage ive ever seen in the UK, roof completely ripped off. 

To do that kind of damage (physically lifting and moving vehicles and removing a roof entirely) it must've been really quite strong by UK standards. Possibly the strongest since Birmingham?

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Fitzwis said:

A handful of pics from around the island of Jersey as Storm Ciaran finally starts to lose its grip ...

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Glad to see you're safe and survived the night..bet you don't wanna go through that again any time soon...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
37 minutes ago, Thunderspotter said:

Yes it happed several times yesterday, I wouldn’t say it’s the fact it’s happening because how busy it is, yesterday there was only 67 members on this thread and it happened a few times

I’ve known in the past in winter the model thread had 2000+ members on show and this issue didn’t happen then 

I'm sure Paul has he’s spanner’s out trying to solve the issue 👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
20 minutes ago, Azazel said:

To do that kind of damage (physically lifting and moving vehicles and removing a roof entirely) it must've been really quite strong by UK standards. Possibly the strongest since Birmingham?

I was just thinking of the 2005 Birmingham one when reading about this. That said, wasn't there a pretty strong tornado in London in 2006?

(Pedantry alert: Jersey isn't in the UK, so this won't appear in UK stats anyway.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Downburst said:

Ciarain seems to have sucked all the water vapour available into it. Let's hope that has a knock on effect

Let's hope it doesn't, Scotland east has had enough rain, and the moisture looks to be heading that way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
3 hours ago, Downburst said:

Yes indeed 

image.thumb.png.e9b85b3b44db6e849d2962ad3a5887f9.png

English record I believe is 122 mph Scotlands  achieved 173 at Cairngorm summit and 140 mph at sea level 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Let's hope it doesn't, Scotland east has had enough rain, and the moisture looks to be heading that way.

If there's no water vapour, they'll be no moisture, so no rain

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

Jersey appears to have reached 100mph. No major Met Office reporting stations topped 80mph on the mainland. Not sure about France but I think there might have been 180km/h gusts?

Langdon bay got to 78, don't know the highest gust over cornwall

Posted
15 minutes ago, snowrye said:

If there's no water vapour, they'll be no moisture, so no rain

Yes, but looking at sat, the rain in this is heading over there again.