Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

no cold but from 14th finally high pressure being modelled! at moment don't care about temps, -4 or 14, just want it dry

been here before though, it's still FI, how many times do settled spells downgrade/ get shorter from both ends

Yes it looks dry  which is great. I find it amazing on the other side if its showing a great output at 240 hours it's awsome. If it's showing a dank ssw flow then the max on the mo is 72/144 hours 🤔🤔🤔

• Like 1

Posted
On 06/12/2023 at 13:22, Methuselah said:

But based on the amount of energy (and therefore money) required, things still depend on the outside temperature: heating a house by 18C is a lot dearer than heating it by only 10C.

Don't you just love Newton's Law of Cooling!

You never know when these things come in handy. I notice the reverse in summer - a cup of tea / coffee lasts absolutely ages if you sit outdoors on a 30C day because it takes so long to cool.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

no cold but from 14th finally high pressure being modelled! at moment don't care about temps, -4 or 14, just want it dry

been here before though, it's still FI, how many times do settled spells downgrade/ get shorter from both ends

I'd say 2023 has been the year of persistant high pressure spells... Feb, June and Sept cases in point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I'd say 2023 has been the year of persistant high pressure spells... Feb, June and Sept cases in point.

If anything I’d say they’ve been notable by their absence… September’s was only a week too.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
3 hours ago, swfc said:

Tbh there's nothing on the current output that screams a cold run up to Xmas. Background signals, mfi, b and q and a ikea dont bring a cold spell and snow ie Xmas week. The actual chances are  a bit higher without my inept sarcism but the touted blocking to the north west is a mile away🙏😕

I made a prediction a few months ago that Christmas would be notably mild and dry, it's looking like that could actually happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, MP-R said:

If anything I’d say they’ve been notable by their absence… September’s was only a week too.

Absence from here perhaps but persistent in southern Europe, while we were stuck under a trough, that also didn't really move, as said above high pressures have been very persistent, where they've built.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Absence from here perhaps but persistent in southern Europe, while we were stuck under a trough, that also didn't really move, as said above high pressures have been very persistent, where they've built.

Oh yes elsewhere certainly, just not here.

Posted

Dunno if it’s OK to have a general moan in here (I’m sure someone will say if it isn’t) and as a newbie I apologise in advance if this has cropped up before, but something is seriously grinding my gears…

TV weather presenters clearly no longer have set criteria with which to describe temperatures, so tonight for instance the local weather guy on BBC Spotlight described overnight lows of 5-8c as ‘cold’. 5-8c isn’t even cold as a daily max in Dec, in fact it’s close to the climatological average.

Bad as this was, sadly I’ve heard far worse. One morning a few weeks ago Isobel Lang said ‘ it really is bitterly cold out there this morning, with temps close to freezing in some places’.

I could go on and on….I won’t, as I’m sure others must have noticed some of the ludicrous language often used to describe absolutely bog standard temperatures.

To be fair I’m sure I allow it to wind me up far to much for my own good/sanity, but rather than screaming at the telly or worse still launching something at the screen, I thought I’d get it off my chest and lower my BP a bit in here.😢

Edited by BartyHater
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

Dunno if it’s OK to have a general moan in here (I’m sure someone will say if it isn’t) and as newbie I apologise in advance if this has cropped up before, but something is seriously grinding my gears…

TV weather presenters clearly no longer have set criteria with which to describe temperatures, so tonight for instance the local weather guy on BBC Spotlight described overnight lows of 5-8c as ‘cold’. 5-8c isn’t even cold as a daily max in Dec, in fact it’s close to the climatological average.

Bad as this was, sadly I’ve heard far worse. One morning a few weeks ago Isobel Lang said ‘ it really is bitterly cold out there this morning, with temps close to freezing in some places’.

I could go on and on….I won’t, as I’m sure others must have noticed some of the ludicrous language often used to describe absolutely bog standard temperatures.

To be fair I’m sure I allow it to wind me up far to much for my own good/sanity, but rather than screaming at the telly or worse still launching something at the screen, I thought I’d get it off my chest and lower my BP a bit in here.😢

Agree completely. I find that most of the BBC presenters are annoying in one form or another. Currently my worst 2 are Darren Bett, mild lover and Louise Lear who I believe gets dressed in the dark!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
28 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

I made a prediction a few months ago that Christmas would be notably mild and dry, it's looking like that could actually happen

So you had a guess? 😂😂

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chasbrown said:

Agree completely. I find that most of the BBC presenters are annoying in one form or another. Currently my worst 2 are Darren Bett, mild lover and Louise Lear who I believe gets dressed in the dark!

What has LL dress sense got to do with it 😂😂

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Wold Topper said:

What has LL dress sense got to do with it 😂😂

Next time she's on have a look. Winds me up no end. But not as bad as the one on itv about 20 years ago on new years eve who was wearing a ball gown!

Posted
Just now, Chasbrown said:

Next time she's on have a look. Winds me up no end. But not as bad as the one on itv about 20 years ago on new years eve who was wearing a ball gown!

😂👍 fair enough...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You’re right about the Junes, but August 2023 wasn’t too bad, it was close to average, might have been different where you are though. While July 2023 was very wet, it wasn’t as bad as July 2020 here, was was absolutely atrocious here, no warmth whatsoever, did not even reach 20°C until the last two days.

Im talking from an SW perspective as I used to live there. Aug 2023 I can't speak for too much as I spent half of it out the country but stats wise was intensely dull, more so than 2021 or other recent dull Augusts. And while it wasn't overly wet it wasn't exactly dry either, so similar to 2012 in that vein.

Jul 2020 was actually dry for most of the country, however it was cool and dull. Will never forget the first 10 days having an avg max of just 16c! But Jul 2023 imo was worse as, even though it was average mean temp wise it was completely unusable and just rained every day. Very reminiscent of 2012

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
10 hours ago, joggs said:

The BBC monthly is not worth taking seriously. 

1 hour ago, BartyHater said:

"Cold spell forecast with wind and rain."

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Chasbrown said:

Yes, Darren Bett and his mild Atlantic air are the bain of winter for me.  Hate that bloke.

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, BartyHater said:

Dunno if it’s OK to have a general moan in here (I’m sure someone will say if it isn’t) and as a newbie I apologise in advance if this has cropped up before, but something is seriously grinding my gears…

Quite agree, but 10c is cold enough, apparently. I read it on here only yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, CLReeve said:

Yes, Darren Bett and his mild Atlantic air are the bain of winter for me.  Hate that bloke.

tossa isn't he, cringe grin at wet/windy and flooding

8 hours ago, Bristle Si said:

BartyHater -

add your location in please, permanently, to your profile👍

member always reminds me that he has something against the 2021 Wimbledon ladies champion!

• Like 1

Posted

A lot of comments again this morning in the mod thread about 'good or bad outputs' which are subjective and totally meaningless to ordinary mortals. They merely reflect the mindset of the thread.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, knocker said:

A lot of comments again this morning in the mod thread about 'good or bad outputs' which subjective and totally meaningless to ordinary mortals. They merely reflect the mindset of the thread.

I saw a lot like that last summer too.

Edited by CharlieBear9
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

A lot of comments again this morning in the mod thread about 'good or bad outputs' which are subjective and totally meaningless to ordinary mortals. They merely reflect the mindset of the thread.

You must be fun at parties 🎉 😜

• Like 4