Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Classic Situ developing via gfs 6z cold entrenchment, hold steadfast . Aided via stubborn blocking!… A big  extension of cold- and sometimes a hint of colder infer to come- develop!..

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
1 hour ago, TSNWK said:

Thanks.. I was going to pose the question where to now after next weeks currently progged breakdown…which has broad support across the operations/ with the same trend showing in the clusters now…probably leading to a couple of weeks at least of mobility?

I’ve read thecteleconnections are postive for late December? Why should we believe them when they were wrong in summer and were not aligned to this current high pressure dominant chilly spell.

The say a day is long time politics.. Jeeze it’s a lifetime in model viewing 😊

One morning of a breakdown been a wk away still and suddenly we're going into a two week period of zonality 😂 this place is hilarious.. we have had cross board agreement of very cold hair the last few days but now it's definitely right😂 

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, suxer said:

Jeez look at germany

Fair point , 100 percent snow cover in the first week of Dec is exceptionally rare I’d say!! Give us an easterly please 😂🥶

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

One morning of a breakdown been a wk away still and suddenly we're going into a two week period of zonality 😂 this place is hilarious.. we have had cross board agreement of very cold hair the last few days but now it's definitely right😂 

Absolutely.. it’s all part of the fun and games in here.. guilty as charged my lord! 😝

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
25 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The little system showing from the SW on the icon on Sunday has some support 

IMG_1589.png

IMG_1591.png

Now that does look like a repeat of last December! But as we said yesterday that wasn’t expected even hours before the event.. 

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.cde18110abe5e838a148ba76b77dd67e.png

Fascinating 6z..

Indeed, but it only creates a very temporary slowing of the now almost inevitable breakdown. My main hope is when the Atlantic does break through we don’t go back to raging zonality across our latitudes, because after a wet summer and a very wet autumn, we really do need a drier than average month or two if possible…and I think we deserve them.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick2373 said:

No knee jerking at all, just a clear trend that's been showing for a gradual return from around the 05th/06th December for something of a normal set up. Just like a trend was showing for the current cold spell. 

Not quite what I'm seeing. Latest runs have us still have us in below average.

EBS and flows and all of that 😉.

What happens past this weekend is is impossible to predict. Lots of ups and downs until then 👍👍👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, Chesil View said:

Best way to look at this is as follows I think.  We have a bonus early cold spell in a winter that looks primed for blocking episodes the further we go into it.

Also ask your self which classic winter ever really started in the first week of December and lasted all the way through.

The winters of legend certainly didn't. 

Take this wintry bonus and wait a little longer  for winter proper to get under way.

I'm also happy it is cooling down SSTs around us to likely below average after this spell is done which should help with marginality down the line especially for people on the coasts like ourselves, airmasses this early in Winter will always struggle to produce snow so never had high expectations yet especially with all the background signals pointing to a back loaded Winter cold wise.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

animemv8.gifanimdta6.gif❄️❄️❄️

• Like 3

Posted

I do still think the gfs in particular is draining the blocking away a little too fast still.

If you compare it to the very consistent arpege,

If and when the Atlantic does break through I think it's going to take a couple of attempts to break through the entrenched cold

arpegenh-0-102 (8).png

gfsnh-0-102 (4).png

• Like 6

Posted

@MATTWOLVES 3 I've just ordered these for the coming week, amazon prime image.thumb.png.42d6d8742727208a83c5ddadd4e5d935.png

Not putting a downer on it, but if and when the westerlies return we don't want to see in my opinion and preference a southerly tracking Jet. So happy to see this as if we must have SW I want the normal track and be gone with you low pressure as quickly as possible up to Iceland, you can get nice December days between fronts. Then await the mid to end month period for something better

image.thumb.png.3c5eb42564aaf902f77339b55907f6a3.pngimage.thumb.png.083087b44dc3cf11a41305dc4293799c.pngimage.thumb.png.436fa3ae93bf6e9712f8b32100ebf96f.png

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Downburst said:

@MATTWOLVES 3 I've just ordered these for the coming week, amazon prime image.thumb.png.42d6d8742727208a83c5ddadd4e5d935.png

Not putting a downer on it, but if and when the westerlies return we don't want to see in my opinion and preference a southerly tracking Jet. So happy to see this as if we must have SW I want the normal track and be gone with you low pressure as quickly as possible up to Iceland, you can get nice December days between fronts. Then await the mid to end month period for something better

image.thumb.png.3c5eb42564aaf902f77339b55907f6a3.pngimage.thumb.png.083087b44dc3cf11a41305dc4293799c.pngimage.thumb.png.436fa3ae93bf6e9712f8b32100ebf96f.png

But... this approach introduces risk of losing all the cold to our north east that took a month to build up.. 

Rather a southerly jet keep it cold in scandi and small as it might be the chance small sliders into cold air over us  

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

Now that does look like a repeat of last December! But as we said yesterday that wasn’t expected even hours before the event.. 

It does indeed. I recall posting a chart almost identical to the one below a day or two before last year's "event". A little low forming in the South West and trundling along the channel coast. If I recall correctly, GFS kept toying with the idea and then dropping it again. Could history be about to repeat itself?

image.thumb.png.72b06f6d1ca065b8c1097dfe411eccf8.png

• Like 2

Posted

Sadly 06z was right at bottom of pack for middle of next week..so I guess that delay in the atlantic coming in that was shown on 06z is unlikely..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Just to highlight the uncertainty for next week. The second chart from GFS (06 run ) already differs from earlier output (00t) first illustration below. The jet not as aggressive on latest run and hints at further amplification over Eastern Atlantic. Think at this stage we may well be looking at a extension to European cold spell. The longer it gets established the harder to shift but as always 10 days is a long way off. So for you lot back in Blighty enjoy the winter sunshine and long frosty nights for rest of this week. Any snow will be a nice bonus and good to see the first advisories being issued for the NE.

C

GFSOPEU00_198_21.png

GFSOPEU06_192_21.png

Please see post on ensembles. 06z right at bottom of pack   so at best is 20/1 outsider

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
43 minutes ago, Jacob said:

animemv8.gifanimdta6.gif❄️❄️❄️

Hi Jacob
The only problem for people south east of Wales, Northeast, Somerset, Wiltshire area with snow coming in from the north-west is quite often the Welsh mountains, suck the life out of any moisture, and they get a dumping, and we get residual cloud and the odd flurry. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Please see post on ensembles. 06z right at bottom of pack   so at best is 20/1 outsider

6z is not at any point at bottom of pack - its in one of 2 distinctive clusters before jumping into the mild cluster very quickly.

• Like 1