Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Unless you’re a duck, fish or umbrella manufacturer, this is a really grim looking post Xmas jet profile…we really don’t want this to verify, otherwise Dec will go down as another very wet month😡

IMG_5502.jpeg

Edited by BartyHater
  • Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Old news 

Been euro heights returning from the west for quite a while now on the 10/15 day ens 

but watch this space (according to Aaron) and as has been said over and over again - the nwp remains unconvincing 

Hopefully Aaron is on to something my confidence is wobbling slightly.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Ruzzi said:

This is my point, the basis for most people for this 'mild and wet for the next 3 weeks' narrative is mostly being pushed by model output alone. 

It's far too turbulent to be basing a forecast for the next few weeks off the back of a closer range forecast that hasn't verified yet. 

As stated by someone above, beyond 144 at the moment is up for grabs. There was next to no lead time for the current forecast of the potentially active/ possibly colder with some snow etc spell of weather for next week, to show its hand. Literally the day before it started to materialise people were calling for a very mild Xmas period, not a sniff of colder weather until next year etc. ...... who have conveniently not commented since 🤷‍♂️ 

Hmm, not sure that's strictly true regarding the 'sniff of colder weather'. Charts have been showing a NW plunge for sometime between 20th and 25th for several days. The issue is that its going to be a very short and not very potent. Kazim will do well from it sat in the Peak District but most other people won't be impacted much. Xmas could well still be very mild, it just depends on the timing of this 24/36 hour plunge of coldish air. 

Things can change though and we are still 10 / 11 days away. Most charts agree on heights to our south or south west so unless the whole pattern changes its very difficult to see any route to meaningful cold. Only possibility I can see is that the cold plunge turns out as more of a straight northerly. Would still be very short lived though. Just based on years of seeing similar charts I suspect the opposite will happen and the nearer we get the flatter the pattern will be shown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, booferking said:

Hopefully Aaron is on to something my confidence is wobbling slightly.

Not seeing the optimism by Aaron at all, I feel there is a lot of hope casting going on which is understandable but can also be equally misleading for those who hang on to every word.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Coldies having to feed off scraps from the buffet table .

So par for the course for most UK winters .

We haven’t yet plummeted to the buffet table completely empty so it could be worse.

There still seems a lot of faffing about upstream with shortwave energy between model runs .

I think the jury remains out on what to expect in the run up to Christmas . Realistically we aren’t going to see a freeze or widespread snow . 

Marginal conditions for most who aren’t on much higher ground especially further north .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

image.thumb.png.ca0cb039b11b8aa057f9a726fcf4b99e.png

Night of The Monster….1st horror film I ever sat through.   That’s one monster and we don’t want that to verify!!

BFTP

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.png.ca0cb039b11b8aa057f9a726fcf4b99e.png

Night of The Monster….1st horror film I ever sat through.   That’s one monster and we don’t want that to verify!!

BFTP

i wouldn't mind it verifying but with fully Arctic airmass - so would get a snow bomb.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.94a0accdefbe42be93ed39e906f45963.png

Control has a festive start to Xmas Day 

image.thumb.png.a6320dc1cde59dea2140f1f8eb54dce8.png

Snow for the North 

image.thumb.png.0fce80b187b65d90bbec029200a4861f.png

Kink in the isobars shows the activity moving South 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 minute ago, MJB said:

image.thumb.png.94a0accdefbe42be93ed39e906f45963.png

Control has a festive start to Xmas Day 

image.thumb.png.a6320dc1cde59dea2140f1f8eb54dce8.png

Snow for the North 

image.thumb.png.0fce80b187b65d90bbec029200a4861f.png

Kink in the isobars shows the activity moving South 

That has snow for basically the entire country during Xmas day 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

That has snow for basically the entire country during Xmas day 

Please keep it measured. Snow for the entire country on any day is vanishingly rare, let alone Christmas Day, and the models currently do not give support for such a once-in-a-generation event.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, TillyS said:

Please keep it measured. Snow for the entire country on any day is vanishingly rare, let alone Christmas Day, and the models currently do not give support for such a once-in-a-generation event.

Was just saying that model run it particular shows that, obviously goes without saying that isn't my expectation.

• Like 3