Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I didn’t say it was cold - I said it was very close to being cold - as in the set up isn’t far away!! 

Actually you said it was v close to being v cold…not cold.

Sadly it’s nowhere near close to being v cold.

• Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

UKMO at 168 very close to being v cold for Xmas day , it could still happen - even if it only lasts a day or 2!! 

IMG_1884.png

Even here we have short waves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think we've seen a failure of most models (not the ECM Op) to over estimate the impact of teleconnections like EAMT and the MJO.

AGW now takes command of all.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I think we've seen a failure of most models (not the ECM Op) to over estimate the impact of teleconnections like EAMT and the MJO.

I think there is an element of truth to the last sentence ..

Sadly.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Apologies If I'm being slow, what does AGW stand for? Something global warming?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Yep.. ecm has been consistently restrained and appears to have shown the way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
Just now, BarnetBlizzard said:

Anthropogenic Global Warming

Just now, BarnetBlizzard said:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
47 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Christmas/ Easter snow likelihood 

This is a week old.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

You’ll all say I’m mad but does anyone want to join me on a hunt for mild rain? 
I always like a challenge .

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

Some serious strat warnings now showing up even in the normally conservative geps and now consistently in the  GEFS

Edited by Uncertainty
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Is it time yet??😂😂

IMG_7995.jpeg

Posted

I sense there are many a disappointed folk on here this evening and absolutely understandably so. For winter lovers we are in the trenches, no question. The charts are about as grim as they can get. I don’t think many should be surprised though, bar the odd chilly nwp run there has been no consistent signal for cold, especially not within the ensembles.

So where now - current models across the 12z suite are sobering. We are relying on amplification to allow heights to build and right now we can’t catch a break.

If background signals going into this winter were a non debate (I’m highly sceptical of these anyway but that’s best left for a separate debate) and we just took the current model projections as a guide going forwards I sense many on here would be waving the white flag.

So where do we look for optimism going forwards- the old adage it can’t get much worse…changes can happen at short notice, it’s only December, background signals blah blah blah. All possibilities for sure but would you hedge your bets on anything notable coming to fruition? History dictates not…

The weather world is a frustrating hobby, it was only last month many of us were salivating at the bitter cold to our east, lots of northern blocking with a hugely disorganised pv on the Siberian side. And yes that element still exists but maybe I’m alone here in thinking the November positivity feels a long way away right now.

I’ve peddled a mild and wet winter for sometime now, much against my inner weather love for snow and cold. And yes you can argue it’s an easy call living here in the UK. Easy or not, it’s sadly all too often the reality. Expectations for Jan onwards are low for me, one year will be our year sadly I sense many will be waving that white flag sooner than we thought. 

WC

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
3 minutes ago, Uncertainty said:

Some serious strat warnings now showing up even in the normally conservative geps and now consistently in the  GEFS

Just need these to come more into the reliable timeframe and not at 300+ hours and we can hope from mid to late January we see the response and cold can come in, this I feel is our only way for country wide cold for the rest of this winter.

Posted

ECM joins in the horror show with a blowtorch Xmas Eve away from northern and eastern Scotland.

She may not have sung yet, but she’s definitely clearing her throat now!😡 

IMG_5597.jpeg

Edited by BartyHater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
2 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

Just need these to come more into the reliable timeframe and not at 300+ hours and we can hope from mid to late January we see the response and cold can come in, this I feel is our only way for country wide cold for the rest of this winter.

You’re probably right about the latter part; the reliability bit is true generally but it has been consistent on the ec46 that end week 2 / week 3 we might see a big disruption and now that’s coming into the view of the other two main ensembles. No full blown ssw in reliable forecast just yet either, but a significant warming looks likely with the flavour (e.g minor / major or if the latter displacement / split) still to be decided…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
26 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

You’ll all say I’m mad but does anyone want to join me on a hunt for mild rain? 
I always like a challenge .

Good idea, would be great to hunt for that, and end up with it breaking down to cold and snow lol

• Like 1