Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
24 minutes ago, KTtom said:

When i look at charts like this UKMO 168 i see little sign of a majour pattern change anytime soon.. which is the Mets take till mid Jan at earliest. As someone said yesterday, the overpowering teleconnection we have is Climate change .

It will be mild because of climate change until, and if, we get a cold spell. 

Despite the obvious differences I think this is the first time the big 3 have agreed on the relative trough position for Xmas eve.

Not great, it is coming down to a matter faith for Xmas cold now,

ECM/UKMO/GFS 120h

image.thumb.png.35d48f322a49183438565cc3597dbd81.pngimage.thumb.png.a63f83cce47c05de658542340fd73584.pngimage.thumb.png.4d3dcad340258bedaa0adc177e764a2c.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
4 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Checked Gfs and ukmo this morning, wish I hadn't! 😆.

What people thought was bad output yesterday, x3 this morning..

Isn’t it the same every winter ? 🤦‍♂️

Let’s hope the Icelandic volcano causes a more amplified jet!!

Drastic measures needed for drastic times!!

18z was pretty much average! (New averages the past decade)

IMG_1157.png

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Really bad output this morning..flat westerlys for Xmas look most likely!

Xmas is a write off we need to hope for changes into Jan.

Posted

image.thumb.png.4e94f80fe885cd13ed643535e4d700e4.png

00Z On the grand scheme of things its not that bad, the ens members are pretty much 50/50 split the ppn spikes have dropped since yesterday the patterrn will flatten out close to average for this time of the year, anything is better than a total wash out, And remember anything past five days in my opinion is FI. Its like winter word bingo in here sometimes not long now I'll have a full house just need the word throwing in the towel. 

Edited by Nick2373
  • Like 2

Posted

The ECM delivers the weather equivalent of meh !

Underwhelming throughout . A few glimpses of cooler air and some milder days .

Last nights attempt to build a high to the north has imploded .

I think it’s game over for any notable cold or snow this side of January . Best enjoy Christmas and accept that it’s just not happening .

With the zonal flow remaining weak and the forecast MJO into phase 1 later in the month hopefully the models will show some more interest going into January .

• Like 2

Posted

Well it’s a bog standard winter zonal ECM. No repeat of the T240 momentary Iceland tease for now. A succession of low pressures to the north, whilst high pressure is never far away from the south and south-west.

Screenshot2023-12-19at07_03_49.thumb.png.12d2902f0aa0ca044dcc94be3d94a5a2.pngScreenshot2023-12-19at07_04_00.thumb.png.3e58117f0217dd69bbf018209bdafc40.pngScreenshot2023-12-19at07_04_08.thumb.png.7b281bf519a6788f09eff232b3664c7d.pngScreenshot2023-12-19at07_04_16.thumb.png.d8494d6999f6268bfdb9d6877dd0f2cd.png

These set ups do often produce a bit of wintriness for the Scottish ski industry but not a lot else.

Nick uses the word ‘meh’ and it does prompt his other question, which is if we weren’t focused on Christmas, would we take much notice of the current outputs from a cold lovers’ perspective? The answer is, probably not.

Edited by TillyS
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
37 minutes ago, Mucka said:

It will be mild because of climate change until, and if, we get a cold spell. 

Despite the obvious differences I think this is the first time the big 3 have agreed on the relative trough position for Xmas eve.

Not great, it is coming down to a matter faith for Xmas cold now,

ECM/UKMO/GFS 120h

image.thumb.png.35d48f322a49183438565cc3597dbd81.pngimage.thumb.png.a63f83cce47c05de658542340fd73584.pngimage.thumb.png.4d3dcad340258bedaa0adc177e764a2c.png

Let's be honest you couldn't draw a worse chart.

Posted

Yep, I have to agree with others in here this morning. Worst set of runs this season. What was the ecm 12z run all about last night? Seems we have been teased more than ever this year with the run up to Christmas. 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Yep, I have to agree with others in here this morning. Worst set of runs this season. What was the ecm 12z run all about last night? Seems we have been teased more than ever this year with the run up to Christmas. 

Tbf, it was only one frame at T240, showing a height building over Iceland. The rest was pretty much the same as this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
18 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

The entire suite this morning screams one thing…time for a model watching break. Enjoy your Christmas👍

Does it really?

image.thumb.png.e4eaaf917d866d5ced2c0e337e9d498d.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
4 minutes ago, TillyS said:

Tbf, it was only one frame at T240, showing a height building over Iceland. The rest was pretty much the same as this.

What is striking is that yesterday the EC operational was on the mild side of the EPS whereas this morning the whole EPS downgraded. Something similar happened yesterday Morning compared to the night before. There is a lot of jumping of the complete EPS. That is quite odd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.161d81b4827167ea2e6a0a2ccfec9166.png

At least some might see a covering on the big day 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
Just now, MJB said:

image.thumb.png.161d81b4827167ea2e6a0a2ccfec9166.png

At least some might see a covering on the big day 

Yep good luck to those up north🤞

In my 54 years on the planet living in this part of the world I can only remember snow on the ground on Christmas day twice but never snow falling on Christmas day so that's how rare a white Christmas is in these parts. I really need to temper my hopes and optimism🙂

Anyway possibilities up north but it looks like game over for the south, if we were ever truly in the game that is!

Anyway for what it's worth I believe we'll see a few decent cold shots this winter, or is this me being too optimistic again🙂

Cheers all🍻

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, TillyS said:

Well it’s a bog standard winter zonal ECM. No repeat of the T240 momentary Iceland tease for now. A succession of low pressures to the north, whilst high pressure is never far away from the south and south-west.

Screenshot2023-12-19at07_03_49.thumb.png.12d2902f0aa0ca044dcc94be3d94a5a2.pngScreenshot2023-12-19at07_04_00.thumb.png.3e58117f0217dd69bbf018209bdafc40.pngScreenshot2023-12-19at07_04_08.thumb.png.7b281bf519a6788f09eff232b3664c7d.pngScreenshot2023-12-19at07_04_16.thumb.png.d8494d6999f6268bfdb9d6877dd0f2cd.png

These set ups do often produce a bit of wintriness for the Scottish ski industry but not a lot else.

Nick uses the word ‘meh’ and it does prompt his other question, which is if we weren’t focused on Christmas, would we take much notice of the current outputs from a cold lovers’ perspective? The answer is, probably not.

Regardless of Christmas from a coldies perspective they are meh for winter .

Outside of winter months the outputs don’t tend to get as much discussion. So unreliability tends to get missed .

• Like 3

Posted

As mentioned yesterday what has really stood out for me so far this winter is the lack of even one or two epic runs- across any model suite. Forget ensembles here I’m talking about just a single ECM, GFS, UKMO model run. There’s been nothing that’s really got the pulses racing which I think is telling.

It’s all been v meh so far and I really cannot see anything changing anytime soon.

I appreciate there are some regular posters on here who keep peddling a backloaded winter, a cold Jan/Feb - cannot see anything that points to this. Aside from clinging on to desperate background signal crumbs it’s pure hyperbole stuff. 

Current charts across the gfs suite show potential warmings into Jan, they can’t get 7 days right I’d be v sceptical of 300 + hrs.

Like others I think it’s time for a break from model watching, it’s beyond depressing right now and nothing is changing before months end.

Have a great Xmas all 

WC

• Like 4