Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I’d take getting to either and then see where we go.👍

IMG_9827.png

IMG_9826.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

There is no confidence in the tPV shenanigans past D8, so my thoughts are JFF viz details, but I see little sign of any convincing northern blocking right up to D16 on the GEFS—no signs of wave amplification. Relying on wedges and an Arctic high invariably is less helpful than it is. So cold zonal relaxing to a slower zonal sine wave regime as we pass the next two weeks.

The GEFS mean is moot for details but can give us some clues as to NH patterns (D8-16):

animell7.gif animlem5.gif

The Arctic High looks like a nuisance by boxing in a pattern unhelpful for sustained high-lat heights, wedgy at best. We are on the colder side, so average temperatures to cooler. Later in the run, the possibility of N/S split as around D10, we see the westerly flow lighten up.

The real story of the last month and into the New Year is rain and storms, likely signs of the times. This winter looks to be suffering an extended version of that. As ever, I feel an impactful strat warming is the best shot of a period of cold and snow. As for the MJO signal, that hasn't impressed me in the last two years, dampened by other background signals.

I have been burnt 99% of the time with GFS over-amplification of heights in FI, so its recent output is strictly for fun. And D10 ECM, do not get me started! Fingers-crossed those with expert knowledge of an impeding amplified pattern are correct as the models are now close to mid-Jan, the mid-term.

Edited by IDO
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, Northern Lurker said:

That's a brilliant post Ruzzi. I couldn't agree more strongly with the final para. I've loved reading these forums nearly 20 years, however this year has been extremely disappointing.

There is no doubt in my mind that certain individuals post in this thread with the sole purpose of winding people up, for some reason the mods let them get away with it but it really is detracting from learning. Dozens of daily posts should be moved to the chat thread to prevent genuinely insightful posts from being washed away. 

Ido has put together a post which is also good for learning and well reasoned. 👍 with a less cold take.

Back to back posts with different views both of which are informative.

Although ido don’t give up now it’s just about to get really interesting.😃

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC eps will be more revealing..

GEFS not really interested in HL blocking let's hope eps are !

The EPS has swung more over the last few days from one run to another. Let's hope the EC is more balanced. The fact remains that EC postponed the cold as well in the operational. But just the fact of the trough at the second of January being more South and shaped differently in the operational of EC is somewhat promising. My best guess is to put my money on EC this time because it's a rather complex situation which might be picked up better by the high resolution of EC. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
32 minutes ago, Northern Lurker said:

That's a brilliant post Ruzzi. I couldn't agree more strongly with the final para. I've loved reading these forums nearly 20 years, however this year has been extremely disappointing.

There is no doubt in my mind that certain individuals post in this thread with the sole purpose of winding people up, for some reason the mods let them get away with it but it really is detracting from learning. Dozens of daily posts should be moved to the chat thread to prevent genuinely insightful posts from being washed away. 

Ditto over the last two years sadly

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC mean looks good to me ..

image.thumb.png.beb36713ee36e83421d03a16649c9900.png

Yes, it's decent.  Just need to watch the heights to the south (don't shoot me!)

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC mean looks good to me ..

image.thumb.png.beb36713ee36e83421d03a16649c9900.png

Very good, I think it’s all still on for 7th is of Jan - and I think the UKMO even at the 3rd is close to a snow event in the south with this !! 
Models are clearly struggling with the strat changes - my fingers are crossed for no downgrades on the METO text later - and a swing back towards a SSW 

IMG_1998.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Just a quick one hopefully someone can answer.If models are showing a possible SSW around 4-7 January isn’t there a time lag of about 10-14 days before we feel effects of this if we are lucky enough to feel the effects coldwise(about 60% chance?).Would that mean we would be looking at 15th January before any chance of cold weather?Remember something of 2018 BFTE but can’t exactly remember all details🤦🏼‍♂️.Do we still have a chance of colder weather before then with the teleconnections etc?I am more confused than ever now after 12 years of being on this forum as this season seems to be so many different views on things I am confused.com🤣🤪!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

eps_pluim_tt_06260.thumb.png.3b02e96f1fa191958c32d7e247146eaa.pngAs expected, the ECM op at D10 is moot as the op run is an outlier early on in the run via at least two metrics:

graphe2_00_310_154___.thumb.gif.4206a3b278bace7580ddbab1776bbc19.gifgraphe1_00_310_154___.thumb.gif.e968e1d39f1e5a9ae97ad4d329fd1a40.gif

One for the bin highlighting the uncertainty with taking op runs seriously beyond D7-8.

The De Bilt shows that the mini-wave in the Atlantic on the D10 mean will have more significant colder benefits to the east of the UK:

eps_pluim_tt_06260.thumb.png.3b02e96f1fa191958c32d7e247146eaa.png animvwx1.gif

Let us see where the 12z takes us.

Edited by IDO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yesterday day 9 mean

image.thumb.png.1485c37e941f6e02f6dcb61139252ca6.png

todays day 10 mean

image.thumb.png.fb556a494d937d4cab45b45007f67c99.png

Much better into Greenland , and around the tip of Greenland with the Atlantic hitting the blockers 👌

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Morning all,

Unfortunately a couple of off topic posts have been removed.

Just a reminder people are entitled to different views on the models as long as they are supported in the outputs.

Please report any problems to the team rather than complain in off topic posts.

Thanks.

• Like 4