Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
4 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Reasons for optimism justified by current output. Liking Mets outlook as well. Could do with BBC lowering it's forecast temps a bit though!

BBC are always last to catch on as they only use raw model data.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Any news on mean.. I freely admit I don’t really get them.. 12z lost a lot of the deep cold to our north east… I’m hoping this 12z is mild outlier for somewhere like Copenhagen 

Edited by TSNWK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Any news on mean.. I freely admit I don’t really get them..

Going down..

ens_image-2023-12-29T171255_170.thumb.png.f1ebb64d2cbef28ab82706606b87a362.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Mean is an upgrade at day 8..

Get in! The op is top half then ends up a mild outlier… brilliant news 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
58 minutes ago, warrenb said:

Can already tell, these runs are not going to produce cold in the reliable, they may in FI

??? Reliable is 120 -144 , is that what you were expecting ?

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Get in! The op is top half then ends up a mild outlier… brilliant news 

Please remember the side axis is dynamic until the full suite is published, so is sometimes not the same as the previous run.

Edited by warrenb
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GEFS at T216, this is probably a day into the amplification:

gens_paneljuw3.php.png

I think that is a good signal.  I think the ceiling on the northward extent of the ridging has come down a little over the last few days, since the SSW runs exited.  Hopefully we can get some idea of the floor in the next couple of days, but if you assume for the moment the GEM 12z is a kind of middle ground, that’s good enough for me.

In a few days time it will be 9 consecutive winter months I’ve not seen a single snowflake.  Let’s hope January bucks the trend.  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
9 minutes ago, Penguin16 said:

I’ll be tore to shreds for this but I just don’t get the level of enthusiasm for the output. Fantasy island charts that may lead to something better. In the minority opinion no doubt with that. Time will tell. 

All trends will start somewhere, we never wake up in the morning and charts suddenly show a BFTE, it has to evolve at some point, we are now watching it evolve, hopefully this time it will go from T240 to T0 🙂 

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Duane S. said:

Just got in and checked the GEFS. Some absolute belters in there! Cold of sorts is firming up.

Think the mean for at least northern England northwards should be lower than -5 850hpa from the 9TH JAN which is where we need to be! And a few perps between -10/15 Not like the rubbish 6z essembles. Heading in the right direction! 

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1