Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
4 hours ago, Hope2view said:

It feels like we are due some "old school" winter weather at the back end of next week, any thoughts from the more knowledgeable contributors

From being on here since 2004 and speaking to old friend from here we have the best chance since 2010. If the high migrates to Greenland then it's game set match! 

Edited by Craigers

Posted
3 hours ago, Craigers said:

From being on here since 2004 and speaking to old friend from here we have the best chance since 2010. If the high migrates to Greenland then it's game set match! 

I really can't see where this optimism comes from, especially in the MOD thread. We'll have some colder, dry weather from Saturday onwards, just for 4 days ordinary cold conditions for this time of year. After this spell we're 100% going back to milder conditions for a few days and afterwards the chances of snowy, very cold weather are slim imo because of a more dominant Azores high. 

I hope I'm completely wrong though. 

• Insightful 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

I really can't see where this optimism comes from, especially in the MOD thread. We'll have some colder, dry weather from Saturday onwards, just for 4 days ordinary cold conditions for this time of year. After this spell we're 100% going back to milder conditions for a few days and afterwards the chances of snowy, very cold weather are slim imo because of a more dominant Azores high. 

I hope I'm completely wrong though. 

I'm sort of with you. Great 10 day charts to look at but a lot more likely than not,something will crop up.

I'm just glad it's turning dry from monday and colder with some frost if we do get that push from the ne,and yes,some snow if we can(doubtful ATM imo) get cold uppers and stronger winds to push showers in.

Might be some slight frosts before. 

I'll sit up when the super charts make it to 48 hrs or so. Don't get me wrong,it's great viewing.

Edited by joggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yeah I agree with the above too. There's nothing interesting showing for this weekend and next week. Chilly but it's just looking raw, misty, low clouds and damp. Horrible really. Too much cloud around to prevent a decent frost too looking at it.

I've scraped my car windscreen once since November!!

Rubbish winter so far but we'll have to see if we get rewarded with anything past mid month. Too far out yet still but fingers crossed 🤞☺️

Posted

nmm_uk1-1-19-0.png?05-10WRF 6z ........bit of Wintry precipitation for the North York moors perhaps overnight ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looks like the first day without any rain. Nice sunny weather. No real cold indicated by the local forecast one marginal air frost then ground frosts.  Still after old the mild months it still be a shock to the system.

Posted

After some early drizzle no more rain, but raw and cold, 5c, but not snow cold. Hopefully we will have a longer dry spell which will allow the various floods to recede.

• Like 1

Posted

Nope managed to rain today. Perhaps tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Had some drizzle and a few spots of rain yesterday as well.
This morning is dull and yet again a few spots of rain in the air.  Radar showing light showers moving in from NE and interestingly shows a mix of sleet and snow on the Weather Type option.

IMG_3352.png

IMG_3353.png

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yup and rained again today. 22 days on the bounce when it's rained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Traffic cameras show settled snow at Blakey Ridge atop the N. York Moors overnight and sleety snow at Greenhow Hill in the Yorkshire Dales in the last few minutes.

WWW.NORTHYORKS.GOV.UK

View pictures of road conditions across North Yorkshire from our weather station cameras.

• Like 5

Posted

No rain today, so far... Cold but light winds, 3c first thing this morning 4c now, very little diurnal range. The coming week looks cold, but not cold enough for snow at our elevation near the coast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We really could do with some dry and windy weather to dry up the surfaces a bit. No point getting snow when it’s so wet everywhere. Even though we’ve not had much rain the last few days, it’s been overcast and stagnant which hasn’t helped

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Does anyone else find the mad thread annoying at times. So confusing when it turns into the southern thread every single year. Not sure how they are allowed to get away with it so blatant. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
Just now, terrier said:

Does anyone else find the mad thread annoying at times. So confusing when it turns into the southern thread every single year. Not sure how they are allowed to get away with it so blatant. 

Yes it turns into a farce in there sometimes.

To many stupid one liners and in some cases one word replies as well. Don't know why they don't get action taken against them. I just leave it sometimes and go back later to scroll through quickly and read the posters comments that are worth something!

• Like 3

Posted

Either way that GEM 12z is just a thing of beauty

image.png.e8d7a86220eeb2afd01ea19bbd6d3f49.thumb.png.ce7ace7e6b34e3183fd603448855eff0.png 

• Like 5

Posted

A very brief flurry of light snow in Crookes , Sheffield a couple of minutes ago 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Any chance of the odd snow shower crossing the region later on tomorrow?

Seen a couple of models which highlight the risk?  Temperatures and dew points look favourable ❄️ 

Posted

I've just read the METO yellow warning. Is the wording there for real? First of all, I don't mind at all experts issuing warnings. But they need to be careful with the words they use to the public. Treating the taxpayers, other professionals or whatever like toddlers is unacceptable. 

This is also not an one-off thing. The past few years is more and more obvious and it's happening in other sectors. I'm disappointed to see this from the METO and especially for a non event of maybe 2-3 showers of sleet/snow. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Craigers said:

Either way that GEM 12z is just a thing of beauty

image.png.e8d7a86220eeb2afd01ea19bbd6d3f49.thumb.png.ce7ace7e6b34e3183fd603448855eff0.png 

18z also pretty good.,

image.thumb.png.d4f4bf30723052bfc2929d03cf4c0a46.png

Yes, i know we should take no notice of these sorts of charts, especially so far out. Those of us around long enough know the drill. Get the cold in, and whilst it might look dry, chances are disturbances etc... may crop up. 18z is perfect for that (and the GEM). 

I also sense the models are toying with height rises towards the NE.. Tamara and others have highlighted this possibility!

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 1

Posted

No rain today so far, in spite of 90% cloud cover. Fields and roads starting to dry out now, the chalk Wolds drain and dry quickly once the rain stops.

A cold NE wind, force 5-6 made lunchtime bike ride quite a slog. Temps 3c, unchanged all day. A few breaks in the cloud, but generally dull.

Too warm for snow here.

The gaps in the clouds showed some nice crepuscular rays at lunchtime

20240108_121955a.thumb.jpg.d372c1a398a69aa16160e9ee8cde43dc.jpg

• Like 3