Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
2 minutes ago, MJB said:

It's clearly suggesting a battleground scenario, how far north wouldn't be determined until 24/36 hours before. That's if any fronts ever get that far into the UK from the S or SW 

Agreed, probably Midlands north would be the hotspot as the milder weather is never too far away from the South from next weekend onwards. 

• Like 1

Posted

I’ve been wondering about a height rise or wedge over w scandi if we do see an Atlantic trough extension headed into the e Atlantic. In association with that drift on the tpv to the Canadian side 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

How things have changed, as I said before a week ago people were forecasting very little in the way of snow, if at all! Air was too dry etc

Yet here we are!

Clipboard01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
Just now, Neilsouth said:

How things have changed, as I said before a week ago people were forecasting very little in the way of snow, if at all! Air was too dry etc

Yet here we are!

Clipboard01.jpg

It’s really thanks to the depth of cold . At the moment it looks like we’ve squeezed out the most possible from that cold pool . Now a wait and see . 

There isn’t a lot of instability but quite a large temp differential between the 850s and sea temps will help .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
7 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Yet here we are!

Clipboard01.jpg

Thats nothing to get excited about!

• Like 6

Posted
43 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

Many in here saying a dry outlook but wasn't there lows to our SW next weekend which could lead to a snow event as per Met Office update. Have I missed something? Have these lows now disappeared?

No, this hasn’t all gone. Bar some more progressive runs that were showing it early weekend, any interaction has generally been modelled late weekend / early the following week.

This is subject to big changes yet, because of its interaction with the jet. At the moment the models are clearly struggling with this. There are several options on the table, and will be for a while yet. Some good, some bad, some indifferent.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The UKMO fax chart for tomorrow at 6 am shows a convergence zone over the far se . 

This is the likely reason for the warning as this will help convection .

IMG_0716.thumb.GIF.2872d06818e590a49c83c067e06c273c.GIF

The twig! Could be some surprises with that.. reckon will get sub zero whole time we under -9 850s away from coast.. so a cm or two  decent shout 

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

The UKMO fax chart for tomorrow at 6 am shows a convergence zone over the far se . 

This is the likely reason for the warning as this will help convection .

IMG_0716.thumb.GIF.2872d06818e590a49c83c067e06c273c.GIF

Indeed. This 1 ‘could’- turn into a ripe convection/ streamer banger!!- or just a non effective shower activity zone!! 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
5 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Thats nothing to get excited about!

Well if you can't celebrate a little dusting 🤣 Take what you can get nowadays, sadly... Better than mid-December, that's for sure!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
7 minutes ago, North Easterly Breeze said:

Icon now goes -13s tomorrow afternoon clipping Essex/Kent. 

F37384C3-43E7-48AD-A3DD-425D4B97EBA0.jpeg

Genuine question which will probably show my lack of knowledge compared to some of you but seeing as we have uppers in the range of -10C to -13C  across the south-east then why are projected maximum temperatures still about 4C or 5C? Is this a case of the models overcooking the temperatures and we'll see some surprise ice days in parts or is this moderation from warmer than average seas? 

Regardless, a good week of frosts under high pressure means if we do get the -10C line from a northerly around the 15th then it will pack an extra punch and more solid chance of ice days then I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

"Houston we have a problem"

You don't have to be a depressed pessimist to see things are trending the wrong way, the ENS are underwhelming and the ECM op a shadow of what was promised a few days ago.

Polish it as much as you want but you won't make the models shine, yes still plenty of time for upgrades as the cold spell is still a week away but we need to see the trend reverse soon.

If it is to go TU then I would rather it be now than at +72 which has happened in the past.

People look at upstream developments in the Pacific but for me it's Iberian Heights that's the issue,  the drought in Spain is now serious and unprecedented with little sign of a change anytime soon.

Andy

When we have had ‘Holy grail’ Synoptics there is only one way it can trend. I mean we had a Polar Low over us the other night.

Things are still looking good to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If the GFS 06Z is right, 😁, days 8, 9 and 10 might be rather nippy? :cold-emoji: After that, it's anyone's guess! 😁

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

If we are to see upgrades in the models this afternoon look out for the METO update, we need that to stick firm !! The models we see are all suggesting the block to fail quite quickly after the cold hits the U.K. next weekend (GEM ENS maybe otherwise) - the METO update currently suggest otherwise so I’m hoping their computers go against the ECM etc…🤞

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
2 hours ago, E17boy said:

Morning all

Very good point from catacol . I think what it is that because we have experienced the severe cold of 2010 and 2018 that has been laid as a reaching point in order to match these years.  However like we saw last December it does not have to go to that extreme for us here to get a good snow cover. Here in NE London where I am last year the evening of December 11th brought a fair amount of snow to the SE from a feature that came from the channel. That snow then laid for the next 5 days and the cold at that time was not as cold as 2010 or 2018. So with the models showing a cold or at times very cold theme in the days to come is a good start.

Anyway having said the above I know a lot of people are concerned about the amount of snow in the setup. Yes a lot of dry weather is on the cards but as many have said features will appear and there will be surprises. 

I myself am now looking and very much hoping that we get this high to move to Scandinavia that will help open doors to tap in to some cold from the east or north east hence allowing a better chance of snow. I have got my fingers crossed for this so let’s see how the next days pan out. 

Taking all the above still early days so as always caution is not not forgotten.

ARE WE GETTING CLOSER IN FINDING OUR WINTER WONDERLAND 

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

have a nice Sunday all

regards. 😊😊😊😊

Remember that well like many other falls for London and north of the M4 did ok but here was rain and sleet this event should provide more for those south of the Thames thankfully although Im not hopeful on settling snow right by the Thames where I am despite this the Met warning areas over the Downs mainly

Screenshot_20240107_124806_Met Office.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Genuine question which will probably show my lack of knowledge compared to some of you but seeing as we have uppers in the range of -10C to -13C  across the south-east then why are projected maximum temperatures still about 4C or 5C? Is this a case of the models overcooking the temperatures and we'll see some surprise ice days in parts or is this moderation from warmer than average seas? 

Regardless, a good week of frosts under high pressure means if we do get the -10C line from a northerly around the 15th then it will pack an extra punch and more solid chance of ice days then I suppose.

Suppose it depends how cold it gets overnight 

if there’s a stiff breeze and it’s cloudy then temps will struggle to get too low and tomorrow they’ll eek their way up in the cloud to very low single figures away from coastal counties where the onshore flow will keep them a little higher.  Certainly think an ice day is more than likely in the grey area away from the stiffest breeze or the brightest  area where we might see overnight mins getting down to -3/-4 in prone spots 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Interestingly the UKMO warning is for 4 am to 10 am and that’s before the coldest 850s arrive .

At that point it will be a case of seeing how much convection can happen without the help of the convergence zone .

Certainly I think it’s best to keep expectations low and then just see what happens .

• Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

SITES.GOOGLE.COM

During the day, convective mixing dominates. The ground heats the air from below; as the air warms, it bubbles upward and is replaced by cooler air from above. The cycle continues...

This should help 😊

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
2 hours ago, Catacol said:

850s of -12 = Severe Cold (very rare in truth, if you want lots of these go to Canada!)

Just about getting into that severe cold airmass territory tomorrow with 850s of around -12C modelled by the UKV 03z in the south!

03_36_850_temps.thumb.png.44e60649479c86869c5a40c009572c39.png

If only the high pressure was further north and lower heights, we would get something closer to the likes of mid March 2018, A lot of North Sea shower activity that weekend.

CFSR_1_2018031718_2.thumb.png.8f25bdfba6df6a4878039602a4a0c54a.png

However I think the south east could get a few surprises tomorrow, with a convergence line shown on the Met Office Fax now.

GDPcTFrWQAEMm6B.thumb.jpg.832831e5dcbf9dd176b44ce57e22050b.jpg

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 3