Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

How is blue sky wintry conditions 'crap'?

Obviously preference is preference, but we had virtually the entirety of December, and beginning of Jan, comprising mild, dark, dull and wet conditions. 

I didn't see a single scrap of sun or blue sky for about 4-weeks solid. Just 10-14/15c, cloudy and drizzle 24/7. That's boring.

A cold blue sky day in winter in England is an absolute rarity.

Cold without any snow just gets tedious and boring after a while, e.g mid December 2022. Yes it's nice with sunshine for some days, but as I don't like the cold, would rather it mild even if it's not that sunny or dry eventually. Storms are more interesting too but we don't want those lasting long or repeatedly.

Sunshine with warmth, now I can have that all spring / summer without any problems! February 2019 is also superb, but even the last few days of Feb 2021 which weren't cold by day, but still sunny was also good.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

The chase for 2025 will be kicking into gear by then 😉

I'm pretty sure the areas that houses are being flooded in have expanded, so people are experiencing flooding in communities that never really experienced it, say, 20, 30, 40 etc years ago.

The need to build so many new homes yearly due to the general housing/property crisis adds to this...because it means building on areas that aren't necessarily ideal, to try and meet demand.

There's obviously other factors at play but that's two big parts of it.

A proper deep freeze is definitely damaging, no doubt, but when do we have that sort of thing occurring regularly across numerous regions within the country? This is our 'cold spell' and its barely dropping into minus C temps, nothing that will affect infrastructure thankfully. 

The entire of December bar the first 2 / 3 days was incredibly mild, so speaking as someone who bemoans energy bills inflation to friends, family, colleagues all the time, that was a very lucky escape in that regard. Of course, from a weather preference, I'd have preferred to have been sunnier (and so colder), and snowier, but if we are talking purely from a place of saving £££ on heating, couldn't have asked for a better December month tbh. 

personally i can wait until summer when I don't give a spoon about what type of weather we get lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
40 minutes ago, Bristawl Si said:

Erm...that was a week plus ago. Yes, flooded props will still have their effects for months, but why live beside a river? Or why do useless environ secs and councils allow new builds on nature's flood plains?

Oh, and by the way a proper deep freeze is way more damaging than localised floods. I mean "DEEP". When pipes burst in an area affected by a proper deep freeze it affects 000s more properties than localised flooding.

Oh, and another "by the way" i thought guilt tripping was discouraged in here. So, "useless" cold without snow is just pointless, but costs money for increased energy useage.

All the 'why do peeps live on fertile flood-plains?' stuff would all be solved, were London to be teleported onto the Cairngorms Massif. . . The ptarmigans wouldn't like it, though! 👍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Be May soon and they will still be saying more runs needed😂

and " features can pop up at short notice" or "ground to warm" or "get the cold in first" sugar better stop could get lead down garden path AGAIN...... 

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Do what I do mate. Block those that make noise and keep those that make sense. Very simple, otherwise everything gets a bit messy. 👍😊

I agree to this. My block list is getting longer lol. Those that ramp like mad off they go ...

• Like 3

Posted

Well this weather today apart from being cold isn't much different to the atlantic muck. Cloudy yea dry. I'm ready for the cold to do one now. Bring back some less cold air for my poor heating costs!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Posted Wednesday at 18:11

WOW just caught up, amazing charts and in midwinter.worn out now struggling to eat my tea but i need to build myself up for all the sledging to come.🙏

This was officially my longest garden path..........LOL

• Like 1

Posted

I actually cut the grass this lunchtime; dont think i've ever bothered before, in January🤣.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
Just now, Bristawl Si said:

I actually cut the grass this lunchtime; dont think i've ever bothered before, in January🤣.

Thinking of doing it as well this weekend, quite dry for the time of year, humidity was quite low earlier this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
33 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I agree to this. My block list is getting longer lol. Those that ramp like mad off they go ...

I'll make sure to start ramping then soon as the warmer weather starts, muahaha 😆

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I'll make sure to start ramping then soon as the warmer weather starts, muahaha 😆

I don't wanna add you to my block list. I like you ... and your cute ... haha!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Thinking of doing it as well this weekend, quite dry for the time of year, humidity was quite low earlier this week.

It was pretty soggy/muddy underneath, but thought i'd cut for the arrival of snow. I mean, one doesnt want tops of blades of grass popping through the snow blanket🤣👍.

Posted

Real measure for me is seeing dust on the roads. The roads are real dry, they look bright and shiny. Not often it's this dry in January in my memory anyway. Loving it. Actually see a forsythia flower on a bush, just the one flower and snowdrops well up but not in flower yet not far away from them. I could actually cut the grass but won't. I'm loving this dry weather without any wind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

The chase for 2025 will be kicking into gear by then 😉

I'm pretty sure the areas that houses are being flooded in have expanded, so people are experiencing flooding in communities that never really experienced it, say, 20, 30, 40 etc years ago.

The need to build so many new homes yearly due to the general housing/property crisis adds to this...because it means building on areas that aren't necessarily ideal, to try and meet demand.

There's obviously other factors at play (the 3rd one being how obscenely wet November and December was) but that's two big parts of it. 

A proper deep freeze is definitely damaging, no doubt, but when do we have that sort of thing occurring regularly across numerous regions within the country? This is our 'cold spell' and its barely dropping into minus C temps, nothing that will affect infrastructure thankfully. 

The entire of December bar the first 2 / 3 days was incredibly mild, so speaking as someone who bemoans energy bills inflation to friends, family, colleagues all the time, that was a very lucky escape in that regard. Of course, from a weather preference, I'd have preferred to have been sunnier (and so colder), and snowier, but if we are talking purely from a place of saving £££ on heating, couldn't have asked for a better December month tbh. 

Just to comment on this piece. What gets lost here is the economic naivety of councils and the government. Case in point, about 7 years ago I worked in local government and one of the projects I was working on was tendering for a contractor to build 300 new homes in a desirable town in West Sussex. I went to a meeting whereby one of the directors for local communities scoffed at the madness because the estimated sale price for each unit was between £450K-£600K, however the average income for said area per household was £28,000. So in a nutshell no-one in the area based on the household income average could not buy any of these new builds. So it raised the question who can afford to buy these new homes? With councils more or less selling off most of their stock (for huge losses back when) there is a massive shortage in 'affordable' housing rather than actual houses. So they can keep on building new houses, but odds are that the majority of buyers aren't first time buyers and may already have second or several properties. 

But back on topic, given the huge rise in countryside or natural open spaces being subject to being developed into housing and also a huge increase in the driveway brigade and more extreme wet weather events, flooding is so much more widespread these days 😞 so I do smirk when I hear the 'Don't mind a mild/warm winter as I'll save money on heating' as it's that exact mindset in global governments which has led to so much inaction in slowing down climate change which we can see over the years is having huge impacts more globally. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

So much for this 'dry' spell of weather...just the same as December i.e. dull, cloudy without the rain but colder (which is always a nuisance without any frosts/snow)  had some drizzle yesterday. God! our winters are useless...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
28 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I don't wanna add you to my block list. I like you ... and your cute ... haha!!

I was only messing.

But thanks for the compliment 😎

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

I should've known better than to expect blue skies from this spell... still the same off-white uniform grey overcast skies. No rain or wind, so there's that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
3 hours ago, CharlieBear9 said:

Properties in the Nottingham/Lincs area are still waterlogged, some of which haven't flooded in a hundred years, they're not all beside rivers.

I haven't mentioned any freeze, deep or otherwise.

RE: guilt tripping. As there are near daily whinges about heating bills, directed at anyone who hopes for normal winter weather, and have been since about last November, it seems odd that one remark about flooded homes should instigate an accusation.

Exactly this. I am personally tired of hearing that old energy bills chestnut. What about having to use the lights more during those mild and dull spells? Or having your home flooded with water? Funny how those things hardly ever get mentioned. In regards to the energy bills, I haven't been using my heating any more than I have during the mild and wet December just gone. The sun being out makes a huge difference, even when it's cold.

I like cold winters and I will never apologise or feel ashamed for it.

Rant over. 🙂

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
18 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

So much for this 'dry' spell of weather...just the same as December i.e. dull, cloudy without the rain but colder (which is always a nuisance without any frosts/snow)  had some drizzle yesterday. God! our winters are useless...

Agree mate , haven't seen the sun since Sunday 

Posted
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

personally i can wait until summer when I don't give a spoon about what type of weather we get lol

Why dont you give a spoon in summer? Because its mild you mean?

I think May-Sept is the real 'make or break' part of the year, can be the difference between feeling like its been a year with proper seasonal disparity, or a year where 10 months of it has just been 10-18c and overcast lol.

Posted
12 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Why dont you give a spoon in summer? Because its mild you mean?

I think May-Sept is the real 'make or break' part of the year, can be the difference between feeling like its been a year with proper seasonal disparity, or a year where 10 months of it has just been 10-18c and overcast lol.

Personally I've got my fingers crossed for a repeat of June and September, ideally lasting from May and well into October. Just one very long and uninterrupted spell of hot and dry, regular +35°c. Ideally no antagonism towards those who want hot summer come spring.

edit yes I'm being ironic 

Edited by raz.org.rain

Posted
49 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I was only messing.

But thanks for the compliment 😎

I know sweet hehehe! 

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

Personally I've got my fingers crossed for a repeat of June and September, ideally lasting from May and well into October. Just one very long and uninterrupted spell of hot and dry, regular +35°c. Ideally no antagonism towards those who want hot summer come spring.

edit yes I'm being ironic 

Where you flying to then? Morocco maybe 😉

Posted
Just now, Downburst said:

Where you flying to then? Morocco maybe 😉

As far away from Lapland as I can get hopefully!