Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

After the overnight runs it’s…..

……at day 10 again.

Will they never Learn

• Like 6

Posted

Apparently the odds of a white Christmas are shortening based on this morning's output... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I've been working since 1976, 33 of those 48 years have been spent outside. Believe me, what is being forecasted for next week  doesn't even come close to what was around during the late 70s and early to mid 80s

I can recall working on a site near Bristol, in early Jan 82 and only being able to work outside for about 20 minutes at a time before we had to get back indoors and warm up. Our 7. 5 ton lorry's had external diesel tanks which were freezing up. 

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 6

Posted
25 minutes ago, winterfreak said:

……at day 10 again.

Will they never Learn

It’s been that way since Christmas ! Always at day 10, then as it counts down the models start to see shortwaves or model upstream events more accurately and so it’s back to day 10 ! It’s exhausting to watch folks do it to themselves , like road runner chasing wil e coyote 

9 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

I've been working since 1976, 33 of those 48 years have been spent outside. Believe me, what is being forecasted for next week  doesn't even come close to what was around during the late 70s and early to mid 80s.  

It looks mite like the good old pre winter high pressure we used to get in November in the 80s with frosts and freezing fog , remember it being common then 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Another day, same old boring pattern- South West Irelands cloud forcefield (Now extended to the whole country) keeps their region completely clear for seemingly the 300th day in a row and cloud rolls into the South East corner not long after sunrise. Rinse & repeat. Never known the same pattern, favouring the same locations for sunshine & others for grey dullness, to persist for such a long duration- especially in Winter of all times! At this rate, everyone will be taking a holiday to South West Ireland, just to get some sunshine!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
13 hours ago, Polaris said:

This is not a cold spell despite the MAD thread, Cold weather alerts. 

Back in the 80’s and 90s this would have been a fart in the wind. Non reported. 

Really quite incredible how a 2-6c daytime high requires an ‘Alert’ in 2024 …. Times have changed! 

I wonder what alerts they would have issued through the 1947 and 1962/63 Winters ,the winters my parents lived through???  Absolutely madness an alert for average daytime January temperatures!  Next they will be issuing an alert for breathing in too much air as it will make you dizzy....😂

• Like 5

Posted
On 05/01/2024 at 14:57, Bristawl Si said:

So, are we on our way towards this?

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Sunday morn update

vector-golden-pear-tree-isolated-260nw-1177058590.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

I can't imagine a worse hobby than snow chasing/Model watching. 

They spend hours looking at charts, trying to understand the nuances of all the signals etc but are completely at the mercy of factors out of their control as to a favourable outcome that history dictates rarely happens in the UK.

Seriously bad for mental health and real social interaction.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, TN26 said:

They spend hours looking at charts, trying to understand the nuances of all the signals etc but are completely at the mercy of factors out of their control as to a favourable outcome that history dictates rarely happens in the UK.

It's a form of gambling, but instead of spending money they spend vast amounts of emotion on mostly fruitless chases. The winnings can be huge but are extremely rare and difficult to achieve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
12 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Britain to freeze in 6c artic blast, there you go😂

More of concern to me than "devastating" temps on the low side of average is the risk of wet weather returning to the south which is mentioned in the Met Office forecast from mid-month as a possibility (and I should stress it's a possibility rather than a likelihood, forecast below):

"High pressure will remain in charge at first, whilst sitting to the north or northwest of the UK. Many areas will often be dry if rather cloudy, however occasional light rain or drizzle is likely, especially on some east-facing hills. The best of any sunshine in sheltered western and perhaps southern areas and still rather chilly for most. Towards mid-month, the high will likely decline or reorientate itself to the west or northwest of the UK, potentially allowing colder air with snow showers to filter south across the UK and/or for frontal systems to approach from the southwest. The latter scenario would also bring the potential for significant snow and also perhaps some heavy rain to parts of the south. Either way a more unsettled outlook towards mid-month looks probable."

A more unsettled outlook is the last thing we need. Still out of the country but the flooding in Worcester has been big enough to make the news here in Greece. Not sure how severe it is but the scenes being shown looked pretty bad. Conditions clearly got very much worse after I left on Dec 27th, when it was rather wet but not dangerously so.

I think it could potentially be a very bad situation, reminiscent of 2014, if more cyclonic weather dominates the second half of Jan and/or Feb, so I think we all need to hope this does not happen. The rest of the winter needs to be dominated by dry weather, ideally cold but any form of prolonged dry weather has to be welcomed.

A prolonged break from the cyclonic weather has to come soon - hasn't it?

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted

I couldn't agree more - we need at least a month of dry weather to allow time for the water levels to properly go down, and even after that we definitely don't want weeks of persistent rain leading into Spring because then we'd be back to square one with the current high water levels.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
49 minutes ago, TN26 said:

Couldn’t agree more. Do they go back to normal life come spring? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
17 hours ago, Polaris said:

BBC polar opposite 

According to Helen Willets ‘’temps recovering later next week” 

DB114F9D-84C0-407E-9F63-38F34CF9CD35.jpeg

So mildish in London by Thursday and Friday. What a poor excuse for a cold spell, basically about 4 or 5 days of slightly below-average temps and then in the second half of the month there's a risk of mild, dull and wet in the south at least.

Just glad I've managed to get out of the country for a time during what looks to be a dreary winter on the whole, not quite yet in the 13/14, 15/16 or 19/20 bottom league but definitely worse than last year. Roll on spring!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

So mildish in London by Thursday and Friday. What a poor excuse for a cold spell, basically about 4 or 5 days of slightly below-average temps and then it wouldn't surprise me if the second half of the month is mild, dull and wet in the south at least.

Just glad I've managed to get out of the country for a time during what looks to be a dreary winter on the whole, not quite yet in the 13/14, 15/16 or 19/20 bottom league but definitely worse than last year. Roll on spring!

I would recommend not taking any notice of the BBC forecasts - they've been useless for a number of years.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

It’s been that way since Christmas ! Always at day 10, then as it counts down the models start to see shortwaves or model upstream events more accurately and so it’s back to day 10 ! It’s exhausting to watch folks do it to themselves , like road runner chasing wil e coyote 

It looks mite like the good old pre winter high pressure we used to get in November in the 80s with frosts and freezing fog , remember it being common then 

Indeed, January 2022 strongly resembled a classic cold and frosty November of the 80s. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the stats for Nov 1988 and Jan 2022 were near identical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

I couldn't agree more - we need at least a month of dry weather to allow time for the water levels to properly go down, and even after that we definitely don't want weeks of persistent rain leading into Spring because then we'd be back to square one with the current high water levels.

Aahhh, don't worry ,get a couple of weeks of hot weather in the Summer, water boards will be bleeting on about lack of water and drought conditions 😂

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
12 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Aahhh, don't worry ,get a couple of weeks of hot weather in the Summer, water boards will be bleeting on about lack of water and drought conditions 😂

And there will be that one person on here commenting that we need the rain. 🤣

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, TN26 said:

Sun chasing isn't much better in the UK. Probably more frustrating IMO because it's often actually forecast to *be* sunny and then ends up being fully overcast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Same old in my area. What a surprise! 

My phone forecast even has a sun with small cloud icon for right now despite, well, the sky being about 98% blanketed by grey. 😆

May we well be sacrificing goats to the sun god at this point for all the good that investing millions in meteorology and weather forecast tech is doing us.

PXL_20240107_123346815.jpg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

And there will be that one person on here commenting that we need the rain. 🤣

Folk who scream "we need rain" after 2 weeks of dry weather in the summer, In the UK, makes me cringe every year.  

Its like our soaking wet winters and floods are erased from memory

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Last 37 days accumulated sunshine comparison-

Cork airport, Ireland- 81 hours

Eastbourne, East Sussex, England- 24 hours

Charlwood, Surrey, South East England- 11 hours

Cork over 3x sunnier than East Sussex & over 8x sunnier than Surrey

Lol

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Cold rain streamer here. Lovely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, TN26 said:

Cold rain streamer here. Lovely

So much for "brighter and drier weather".

If you live in the South East, apparently we missed that memo...

It rained on and off yesterday in my area too.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons

Posted
6 hours ago, winterfreak said:

……at day 10 again.

Will they never Learn

Been at day 10 the last month lol

• Like 1