Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Could really do with the opening Northerly next Sunday coming in from a more NE direction off the sea, for snow showers inland. Looking highly likely to be a straight Northerly though.

Good give me that pembrokeshire dangler😆

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme in Winter , Cricket Weather in Summer , Golf weather all year

Met O giving lots of subtle ( and not so subtle ) hints in their tweets relating to staying safe in freezing weather, temperature records etc. Suggests to me that they are seeing some serious potential in their modelling for severe weather ahead. 

• Like 2

Posted

Brace yourselves it’s gonna be Baltic🫠

IMG_1892.jpeg

I will add no way will that be right, the beeb love adding a few degrees.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, MarkM said:

Met O giving lots of subtle ( and not so subtle ) hints in their tweets relating to staying safe in freezing weather, temperature records etc. Suggests to me that they are seeing some serious potential in their modelling for severe weather ahead. 

BBC polar opposite 

According to Helen Willets ‘’temps recovering later next week” 

DB114F9D-84C0-407E-9F63-38F34CF9CD35.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
2 minutes ago, Polaris said:

BBC polar opposite 

According to Helen Willets ‘’temps recovering later next week” 

DB114F9D-84C0-407E-9F63-38F34CF9CD35.jpeg

As far as I can tell, we're getting a few days of colder temps before they start going up again. So far I'm not sure what's happening in the second half of the month. Fortunately these outlets aren't sensationalising every model run.

Posted
10 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

As far as I can tell, we're getting a few days of colder temps before they start going up again. So far I'm not sure what's happening in the second half of the month. Fortunately these outlets aren't sensationalising every model run.

Looks cold next few days, here, but not overly so, before less cold air moves in 2nd half of the coming week. Night time temps forecast for around zero c or even slightly above. Again not extreme cold by any means.

Looking at Meto forecasts it seems that 2nd half of January is where precipitation chances increase, with poss of snow for those on the cold/less cold boundary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Evening all, at least we're getting a UK high in which will allow things to dry out and cool down. 

It's good that there are cold options modelled, but there's a long way to go to next weekend. It's best to get the heights in first then watch where they go afterwards. There's nothing to say that unexpected energy wont loop over the Northern flank of the High, forcing it to link with Med heights only to topple and sink southwards again where we all end up at square one.

Getting a cool spell nowadays let alone cold requires a number of building blocks. We're only just putting the first row on now!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and cold

I’m not trolling but I don’t think this cold

spell will come off. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, Redwood said:

spell will come off. 

Have a word with the MET then LOL 😁

• Like 7

Posted

I hope it does 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Redwood said:

spell will come off. 

As others have said elsewhere, it's closer to what would have been average weather some years ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
31 minutes ago, Redwood said:

spell will come off. 

have that sneaking feeling as well, we do have a dry/cold week coming up, but from around 14th Jan, just feel the Atlantic may roll in

• Thanks 1

Posted

Why are people fretting over something they can’t control? If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. I’m sure people hang onto every single model run that is spewed out. 
There is a dry spell that has just started that is desperately needed and it is bringing with it something more seasonal. 

• Like 3

Posted
55 minutes ago, Redwood said:

spell will come off. 

This is not a cold spell despite the MAD thread, Cold weather alerts. 

Back in the 80’s and 90s this would have been a fart in the wind. Non reported. 

Really quite incredible how a 2-6c daytime high requires an ‘Alert’ in 2024 …. Times have changed! 

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Why are people fretting over something they can’t control? If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. I’m sure people hang onto every single model run that is spewed out. 
There is a dry spell that has just started that is desperately needed and it is bringing with it something more seasonal. 

I'm not much of a fan of cold, but it's absolutely fantastic to be able to get out of the house and not worry about wind and rain.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
2 hours ago, Polaris said:

Really quite incredible how a 2-6c daytime high requires an ‘Alert’ in 2024 …. Times have changed! 

Nanny state 😂

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 hours ago, Polaris said:

The public must be wondering what a ‘cold weather Alert’ actually means? According to BBC a few days of chill then ‘Quote’ Helen Willets latest TV forecast “Temps eventually recovering later next week” 

So that’s 2 days tomorrow and Monday of temps of 4-6c then near on double figures approaching later next week. 

Other countries must laugh at us 

5C0A28A0-506F-4EF6-A889-8230225C1079.jpeg

So....several days of temps around average or a little below. Lol. 

calm-the-office.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

I don't even think this is a modern phenomenon. 

I've never, ever seen any sort of alert or warning for...January weather that, *gasp*, is behaving like January weather. 

We don't even usually get proper warnings for snowfall unless it's serious/thick. 

Really weird.

• Like 1

Posted

I think it's ridiculous. Tempted to say that it's 'Nanny State' nonsense but I have a hunch that there's more to it than that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

6c is average winter temps if anyone in that thread describes it as a cold spell then they are easily pleased lol.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Tempted to say that it's 'Nanny State' nonsense but I have a hunch that there's more to it than that.

Big part of it is the dramatisation of everything in the modern media age. Things that were simply an "No need to panic" situation 20, 30 years ago, are now "Here's why it's an issue!", primarily for clickbait and sensationalism purposes.

Anything remotely cold in winter will be "UK plunged into Arctic Blast" in the media, with weather warnings from Met and BBC etc. When in reality it's just a few days of zero 0 at most and perhaps a couple cm of snowfall if we are lucky.

Likewise, anything above 25c for a few days in summer is coined "extreme heat" with comparable warnings and alerts etc in place and the media spouting things like "Britain to bask in Saharan Scotch with temps hotter than Ibiza" (which will be like, 28c which surpasses Ibiza's 27c lol).

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Big part of it is the dramatisation of everything in the modern media age. Things that were simply an "No need to panic" situation 20, 30 years ago, are now "Here's why it's an issue!", primarily for clickbait and sensationalism purposes.

Anything remotely cold in winter will be "UK plunged into Arctic Blast" in the media, with weather warnings from Met and BBC etc. When in reality it's just a few days of zero 0 at most and perhaps a couple cm of snowfall if we are lucky.

Likewise, anything above 25c for a few days in summer is coined "extreme heat" with comparable warnings and alerts etc in place and the media spouting things like "Britain to bask in Saharan Scotch with temps hotter than Ibiza" (which will be like, 28c which surpasses Ibiza's 27c lol).

Britain to freeze in 6c artic blast, there you go😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Nanny state 😂

Yes unbelievable really that there is an alert. We were out every day in the snow in the 80s. 6ft drifts great stuff.