Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
19 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Whilst I don't think you can rule out the Atlantic coming back in(as it's hinted at by 2 different operational models), it is quite incredible just how quickly the outlook turns, quite interesting really.

GEMOPNH12_144_1.thumb.png.4de9141315f68bcd299ca3d679d0c331.pngGEMOPNH12_210_1.thumb.png.7577ca11873835664e56e2f2e3c78219.png

Yeah that's what is making me curious too and it's more than 1 model / set of ens showing that rapid change. I think it's that huge storm off the ESB forming on Tuesday causing even more issues than there already is. Strong heights around Alaska too leading into a cold air outbreak over the states which we have the first of early next week and so that turbocharges the jet over the Atlantic. Too far out as always but I can't ignore or discredit them either.

GFSOPEU18_258_1.thumb.png.c91d4e36b135c43df9e4b1ac84f75cea.png

Throw in another 2 named storms as well because why wouldn't it 😂

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Looks like the mean 850s for the South on the 18z for mid next week would have been near the bottom of the pack on the 12z ensemble, quite a definitive shift South and prolonged colder conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

image.thumb.png.9d40430891ec31bc378d780854cc7a0c.pngimage.thumb.png.0284c865450c834e1359e6195826ecda.png

Arpege 18z said you want better blocking in Greenland, sure here you go.

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

Delayed on this run by a day, and I expect it will keep getting delayed further run by run for a while.

I pray it does. Was it back in 2013 this kept  happening on the models during a cold spell? I am nearly sure it was either 2013 or 2012.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

Your poor dog will be checking the outputs more than the snow starved members on here.

Hahahahaha that’s hilarious 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

GEMOPNH12_144_1.thumb.png.4de9141315f68bcd299ca3d679d0c331.pngGEMOPNH12_210_1.thumb.png.7577ca11873835664e56e2f2e3c78219.png

Yeah that's what is making me curious too and it's more than 1 model / set of ens showing that rapid change. I think it's that huge storm off the ESB forming on Tuesday causing even more issues than there already is. Strong heights around Alaska too leading into a cold air outbreak over the states which we have the first of early next week and so that turbocharges the jet over the Atlantic. Too far out as always but I can't ignore or discredit them either.

GFSOPEU18_258_1.thumb.png.c91d4e36b135c43df9e4b1ac84f75cea.png

Throw in another 2 named storms as well because why not, drunk pub run😂

And like how we seen charts go from zonal to blocked fairly quickly, it of course can do the same in reverse but at least all that stuff is well past the medium term, it's the cold stuff first and for some some snowy weather.

And yes the upgrades to the initial northerly is pleasing, makes a nice change really, hopefully any milder sector can be squeezed out before a potential reload. For Scotland from what I'm seeing, the cold arrives on Saturday and looks more or less guaranteed for at least 5 days. The window for beefy convective snow showers in northern and eastern Scotland has also improved for Sunday daytime into Monday so could be some quite deep snow here by Monday night.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

That mean is,...i mean is a beauty🥶

gensnh-31-1-156.thumb.png.1707b142a16aed70478bcee6b1489849.pnggensnh-31-0-156.thumb.png.4cd678df1c500c3c479c7052ea6f9b24.png

my local and London flatlining below the -5 isotherm,...take note,...this is coming to a place near you.

ens_image(2).thumb.png.585419e0d0ffab89c3fea3a63fdb75f9.pngens_image.thumb.png.88f2ea10d672eb1096af48572d7c3bc2.png

Edited by Allseasons-Si
  • Like 8

Posted

GEFS 18Z.. wow.

The almighty -10C isotherm. Look how the OP and Control follow the mean. Can't get any more support within an ensemble pack if you want. 

image.thumb.png.6129a446f23324d6f1c96fb98680d07b.png

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 7

Posted
4 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Some very strange goings on around day 4 in the ensembles. The cause of this appears to be a shortwave appearing on the core low heights over Scandinavia that passes fairly close to the east coast of Scotland, this appears to enhance the depth of cold sweeping down the eastern side of the country.

Just posting one ensemble to show this;

image.thumb.png.4c4fcb3cb3b46e398ba70621190d2780.png

Note the kink east of Scotland on here.

So lets see if any other models showed this;

ECM

image.thumb.png.51a7fb6476b608462afde1507cd9046e.png

It is sort of there to the north of Scotland, but it gets more absorbed into the part low. It might be worth keeping an eye on because a shallow system with embedded frigid air appears and heading close to the UK could be the surprise we were hoping for.

I think the GFS sort of has it there also but fizzles so definately one to keep an eye on. Whilst it may develop slightly less cold air around it but because it comes from a cold source and thicknesses are low, it shouldn't be marginal. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
6 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Some very strange goings on around day 4 in the ensembles. The cause of this appears to be a shortwave appearing on the core low heights over Scandinavia that passes fairly close to the east coast of Scotland, this appears to enhance the depth of cold sweeping down the eastern side of the country.

Just posting one ensemble to show this;

image.thumb.png.4c4fcb3cb3b46e398ba70621190d2780.png

Note the kink east of Scotland on here.

So lets see if any other models showed this;

ECM

image.thumb.png.51a7fb6476b608462afde1507cd9046e.png

It is sort of there to the north of Scotland, but it gets more absorbed into the part low. It might be worth keeping an eye on because a shallow system with embedded frigid air appears and heading close to the UK could be the surprise we were hoping for.

Surely potential for lows of the polar variety to form in a flow that cold?  🥶 

Posted
30 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Warm up by the weekend still there …

3CABA9CD-3454-46BE-8683-3FA87E7C56C6.png

That's actually been very consistently modelled aside just a few runs. Actually, the whole thing has been modelled fairly consistently by the ensembles. There never was the promise of more than a few days of cold IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

One thing is for sure with the 18z, it brings many snow opportunities to the N of the Midlands

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

If the models aren't getting blocking right at days 3/4, why do people expect them to be right at days 9/10? 

What’s been shown is the means are king! 

They have been rock solid in the face of some odd runs, shortwaves, bulges in the ops. But the closer we have got the more the ops have firmed up on what was showing 10 days ago!

This cold spell has some legs to go yet! 

1-0 GDSM on this years chases!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
18 minutes ago, Derecho said:

A note for those who are anticipating a dry and cold spell if that GFS transpired...

image.thumb.png.6751f79daca5947bfe5d487ea8168e2b.png

This was a chart from the early hours of December 2nd 2021. I was on night shift expecting clear skies for England and Wales as that is what every model had. Unexpectedly a snowy trough formed in Scotland and gave a widespread covering overnight (across quite a large area as well)

The first model to pick up on it was the ECM 18z the night before. It wasn't a pleasant night shift.

Yes cold and dry is what the models are showing but that doesn't equate to reality.

IMG_7555.thumb.png.f9d8246e99b73376bc34a8a8e7fd8f89.png

Cold and dry? Rubbish

• Like 2