Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
42 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

The ecm op is disappointing this morning, flat in the later timeframe with no sign of the magnitude of amplification we will need to bring the cold back. Not overly concerned as quite frankly, the op has been a Grinch all winter in the 8 to 10 day slot when the gfs sniffs something close to interesting. 

Good Morning,

Agree. Not a good one, but not surprising either. There still is little support for a colder type of weather even though the synoptics are okay. In the EPS there aren't any members like the Control of GFS. But It is still 10 days ahead, so it is to soon to draw any conclusions. The agreement is something which is great, which leaves a window of opportunity.  The details will come, either in our advantage or not.

• Like 4

Posted

At this moment, the GFS seems beter in FI than EC. Let's hope GFS is picking up the signals from background drivers a little better again this time. 

chart.jpeg

chart (1).jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

This morning ,we are far away as can be from a Proper cold spell happening. As long as we keep high pressure over mainland Europe, then it's game over for the forseable future. Charts at day ten ,I've posted ,yes the unrelable time frame, but looking at the synoptic pattern right now and the days ahead ,I cannot see any deep cold reaching the UK ,for at the very least another two weeks and then we are into February. ....by which....... time is starting to tick along....😨😩😦

h850t850eu-18.webp

ecmt850-17.webp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
13 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

An overview of this afternoon's model outputs.

Deterministic runs to day 7, Tue 23rd

It seems we may be affected at least indirectly by storms on both Sunday and Wednesday.

animilk8.gifanimztp7.gifanimsda2.gif

Ensemble means at day 10, Fri 26th

Drier for many by the end of next week?

image.thumb.png.bc44f3bb9eff8bce11cbeb2fb5a128e1.pngimage.thumb.png.a60d0c4ca99c78dd9e0c3b2621554e81.pngimage.thumb.png.34bca8c55560481084bdb885049d9210.png

Ensemble means at day 13, Mon 29th

Any further progress into the following week looks very uncertain... but other posters here have pointed out that we have reasons to be optimistic about this.

image.thumb.png.dbb24ffbb9c5be5f43c3b6f547b56f31.pngimage.thumb.png.6eccd9b074912301142e89915903a5a3.pngimage.thumb.png.8ca50e6baec15c609a3764256852a7bf.png

An overview of this morning's runs.

Deterministic runs to day 7, Wed 24th

Some strong and long-fetch south-westerly winds for us on Sunday, and renewed strong winds by Wednesday.

animibx6.gifanimmys5.gifanimmsy1.gif

Ensemble means at day 10, Sat 27th

We still have that signal for southern Britain to be drier later next week, thanks to the swelling high to our south...

image.thumb.png.8b95a2141a4b76aa1451738865d5c395.pngimage.thumb.png.09d0ba2e7e6502877d13cc2c294b247e.pngimage.thumb.png.32e20b4336e291d5d35be600de052172.png

Ensemble means at day 13, Tue 30th

...and, for the moment, that is all we seem to have.

image.thumb.png.0093d3238e3fdaf1cd36cb452375fd4c.pngimage.thumb.png.46abec97003ee40ff6a072720a99651c.pngimage.thumb.png.286910276e2060c1d6277c7346467b27.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Good time for a model break till after the weekend for those feeling fatigued by another chase! - This one hasn't been a bust, it's just that most of us just haven't had any luck with where the precipitation ended up falling. 

There's signs of potential from the 25th January with models showing a push of heights up through the UK and still plenty of time left in winter for another cold spell. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

image.thumb.png.072c909a8319ed8c3c792561d234adce.pngimage.thumb.png.80a0c6904a8f086b24d7c3208aca4b73.pngimage.thumb.png.3d40973842d10a4d3aa1928633b981e5.png

Well Sunday looks like a fun day on the GFS 06z!

Edited by Mcconnor8
  • Like 6

Posted

Newest to oldest for 12z 25th still a very mild position but the base seems to be gaining more height. If these trends continue SE parts especially will start seeing cooler flows from near continent.

IMG_1790.thumb.png.96d70e81060e6ef9bcb84cc3d245ee7b.pngIMG_1791.thumb.png.035b4bc9ffb42c2154671061585534cf.pngIMG_1792.thumb.png.2ce3cb0c5b4080cbd7ecbca5b48d2232.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think this stuff relates to weather models, though the moderators might disagree.

Some peeps blame 'faulty software', others cite all sorts of problems arising from a human perspective; but, ultimately, it's mostly down to good old Chaos; simple equations (be they weather-related or not) involving feedback can create an almost unimaginable degree of complexity.

I wonder whether the next generation of AI-/Machine Intelligence-based models will ever 'cut the mustard'. 🤔

• Like 7

Posted

Can't see anything wintry until after mid February atleast the modo this winter has been a delayed response once we first start seeing in the charts a 15 day lag or so enjoy the chase leave but I'd leave it a good week or so meanwhile watch out for these nasty buggers.

gfs-0-102.png

gfs-0-150 (1).png

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, TEITS said:

Why because of just one set of runs and not forgetting the period of interest being 13 days away!

I am optimistic we shall be chasing the next cold spell very soon for the period between end of Jan/Early Feb. The ensemble below is an indicator that we could soon be seeing the classic battle between the Siberian High and the Polar Vortex over Greenland.

image.thumb.png.d7af9e781b256a0daf7634f08b5f5681.png

However when it comes to potential E,lys I rarely use the ensembles. For now I shall just keep an eye on the GFS operationals especially towards the latter part of the run.

I shall just finally add that I am not saying an E,ly will occur. Like I  say you cannot assume anything for a tiny island such as ours for a period that is 13 days away.

Why?

Because there is no continuity. 

We all know Scandi Highs are rare beasts and the models have backed off today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TEITS said:

Why because of just one set of runs and not forgetting the period of interest being 13 days away!

I am optimistic we shall be chasing the next cold spell very soon for the period between end of Jan/Early Feb. The ensemble below is an indicator that we could soon be seeing the classic battle between the Siberian High and the Polar Vortex over Greenland.

image.thumb.png.d7af9e781b256a0daf7634f08b5f5681.png

However when it comes to potential E,lys I rarely use the ensembles. For now I shall just keep an eye on the GFS operationals especially towards the latter part of the run.

I shall just finally add that I am not saying an E,ly will occur. Like I  say you cannot assume anything for a tiny island such as ours for a period that is 13 days away.

One set of runs? It's not like the mild runs are in isolation.  All the runs show a lack of high pressure situated in a position conducive to cold in the UK. 

• Like 8

Posted
19 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Why?

Because there is no continuity. 

We all know Scandi Highs are rare beasts and the models have backed off today.

I disagree that Scandinavian hights are the holy Grail to look for atm. Yes, eventually for enduring cold, the Scandinavian block is what we want, but 2012 dids not have a Scandinavian block when winter set in. It started with a block over Kazachstan, ending up with a Northwest Russian block. A southeasterly van be very cold with the right setup. And writing off something that is in far FI, is just ridiculous. The Scandinavian block is still in the EPS (albeit minimal with 4 members, but that number is pretty constant), just not in the operational. Since when do we take one operational at day 11 seriously? 

Edited by AO-
  • Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

One set of runs? It's not like the mild runs are in isolation.  All the runs show a lack of high pressure situated in a position conducive to cold in the UK. 

Yes, focus of heights is to our south. We will probably see a gradual shift to a more 'mid lat' scenario over the next couple of weeks, but very hard to see a route to anything cold in the extended outlook IMHO. I reckon we will see some pretty charts in deep FI over the coming days but nothing convincing. Maybe 10% chance of a very cold easterly early next month.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, AO- said:

I disagree that Scandinavian hights are the holy Grail to look for atm. Yes, eventually for enduring cold, the Scandinavian block is what we want, but 2012 dids not have a Scandinavian block when winter set in. It started with a block over Kazachstan, ending up with a Northwest Russian block. A southeasterly van be very cold with the right setup. And writing off something that is in far FI, is just ridiculous. The Scandinavian block is still in the EPS, just not in the operational. Since when do we take one operational at day 11 seriously? 

I certainly don't take the ECM operational day 11 seriously!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

As always, we should be wary of random cold charts in FI on the models, especially if they are outliers and contrary to solid means. The GFS 06z op falls more in line with the mean from D8-16 with the synoptic:

animtxb9.gif

The control also follows this. 

The mean at D11:

image.thumb.png.88f6e82cd78e85bad8e12410a31185d4.png

An Iberian-centred Euro high. I am sceptical that we will see any blocking from the NE with this setup. That high is unlikely to move east due to the Siberian high & E Euro trough, so retrogression back to the Azores and more likely GH than a Scandi high.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Newest to oldest for 12z 25th still a very mild position but the base seems to be gaining more height. If these trends continue SE parts especially will start seeing cooler flows from near continent.

IMG_1790.thumb.png.96d70e81060e6ef9bcb84cc3d245ee7b.pngIMG_1791.thumb.png.035b4bc9ffb42c2154671061585534cf.pngIMG_1792.thumb.png.2ce3cb0c5b4080cbd7ecbca5b48d2232.png

Well the core of the heights have gone from Spain/Italy to Belgium/Denmark so a definite movement north.

All models were pointing toward a lengthy cold spell with flatliners on the ensembles now a wk later we're looking at a lengthy mild sleep and i dont believe it will go on any longer than a wk. The models will change over the wkend as the models get to grip with the pattern change and the fact we've just had a reversal the last day or so or at least very close.

So think more changes are on the way

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, IDO said:

As always, we should be wary of random cold charts in FI on the models, especially if they are outliers and contrary to solid means. The GFS 06z op falls more in line with the mean from D8-16 with the synoptic:

animtxb9.gif

The control also follows this. 

The mean at D11:

image.thumb.png.88f6e82cd78e85bad8e12410a31185d4.png

An Iberian-centred Euro high. I am sceptical that we will see any blocking from the NE with this setup. That high is unlikely to move east due to the Siberian high & E Euro trough, so retrogression back to the Azores and more likely GH than a Scandi high.

Heights into Greenland for more than a fleeting ridge at best look troublesome to me within the next 16 days. 
unless we see the Canadian vortex relaxing itself markedly across the end week 2 ens, then i think we could be looking towards week 4 approaching mid feb to get that to stick.  It really wouldn’t surprise me to see the nwp trying to repeat the last couple weeks with a mlb that eases north to Orkney ish latitude  and then retrogresses slowly. if upstream plays ball then we can then get a griceland high to follow. If split flow plays ball then we can possibly advect something notable around the south of an Orkney high. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
14 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Heights into Greenland for more than a fleeting ridge at best look troublesome to me within the next 16 days. 
unless we see the Canadian vortex relaxing itself markedly across the end week 2 ens, then i think we could be looking towards week 4 approaching mid feb to get that to stick.  It really wouldn’t surprise me to see the nwp trying to repeat the last couple weeks with a mlb that eases north to Orkney ish latitude  and then retrogresses slowly. if upstream plays ball then we can then get a griceland high to follow. If split flow plays ball then we can possibly advect something notable around the south of an Orkney high. 

That's what i see as well.

But following on from failed attempts at an out and out scandi.

And i'd prefer it to a GH, we all know where they end up in recent years, either a W based setup or a magic roundabout, both caused by iberian heights.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Yes, if it is a replay of the last cold spell; the UK high being eased west/NW is a better option and a possibility, bearing in mind it is a repeating pattern that can be noticeable in a trop-driven regime. But so far, looking at the modelled jet, we are less favoured by the split jet versus this recent cold spell UK high. That may change with further runs, but the northern arm is being modelled to be stronger than earlier in January before the UK high developed. That may make it more difficult to sustain higher pressure at higher latitudes.

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That's what i see as well.

But following on from failed attempts at an out and out scandi.

And i'd prefer it to a GH, we all know where they end up in recent years, either a W based setup or a magic roundabout, both caused by iberian heights.

The problem with the synoptics atm is that if we get a Scandinavian high, there won't be any cold left to put on transport towards Northwest Europe. Thats why I would prefer retrogressing of the Siberian high into Russian. I see that as one of the few options left to get a proper cold spell on short notice. 

• Like 3