Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

MP-R If it wasn't for April 1989 being one of the worst on record, 1989 would probably have more 20c and 25c days than 1976.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
1 minute ago, danm said:

Not sure I agree with the above. March and April often have wild swings between warm and cold, it’s common at this time of year. Solar energy is enough to provide real warmth but SST’s and the Arctic is still cold enough to pack a real punch. It’s why Spring can be so frustrating as a season, because things can flip so suddenly. I.e. right now. I was in shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops on Saturday in 21c warmth. Today i have a jumper and coat on. 

I agree, but this doesn't stop people from having the subconscious expectation that March and April should see a significant warmup or at least be dry and sunny. I refer you to the above examples.

2 minutes ago, danm said:

I think September can now almost be viewed as a semi Summer month. It’s possible and becoming common to get heatwaves, or lengthy dry and warm spells. Yes it’s not great to get a hot September after a poor Summer, but it’s a month that can deliver.

Again, I agree, there isn't much difference between it and August anymore, however this is where subconscious expectations kick in. People are now expecting temps to gradually start declining, and a period of exceptional warmth is quite jarring. Not to mention, people have just gone back to work, school etc. and if summer was a bit of a disappointment then it can generate a sense of frustration.

Put it this way, there was nowhere near the level of excitement for the September heatwave last year than if it had occurred in especially July but also August. People are generally over the summer by September and want to get on with the autumn.

5 minutes ago, danm said:

In fact it’s more likely to than May, which is the shoulder month pre Summer. You’d never get 5 consecutive days above 30c in May as we did in September last year. 

I wouldn't tempt fate like that. In fact it's almost already happened. May 29th-June 3rd 1947 recorded six consecutive days above 30°C, so move that back by three days and you would've had six consecutive 30°Cs in May. I doubt all of three days would prevent any of the 30°Cs given the exact same pattern. If this was possible in 1947 then that'd suggest an even longer spell is possible today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
6 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

People are generally over the summer by September and want to get on with the autumn.

Are they? I don’t know many people who look forward to Autumn as a season, except those who dislike warm weather. Many people enjoy September warmth. Yes, it’s not as nice as having that warmth in peak Summer, but it’s better than not having the warmth at all. 

You’re right that people expect things to warm up in March and April, which it generally does, but Spring has always been a notoriously fickle season. 2020 was rare in being so warm and sunny right through late March to the end of May. Normally you’ll get bursts of warmth interspersed with cold snaps. In some Spring’s, with northern blocking more likely than at any other time of year, the season can often be cold. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
26 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

People are generally over the summer by September and want to get on with the autumn.

If we lived in a country with hot summers then I’d agree - in places like Florida people are over the heat and humidity by September and are looking forward to something a bit cooler - but I think most people in this country are happy to see summer-like weather continue for as long as possible, simply because we don’t have super reliable summers in the first place. We need to make the most of whatever warm weather we get before the inevitable descent into gloom and darkness begins.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Some really quite chilly lows showing over the next week and beyond. 4c and 5c on many days. With only 12c or so the high. 

Very subdued temps for the second half of April in London. I would be expecting to see mid to upper teen temps fairly readily and a couple more 18-20c+ days, by May. Doesn't look like that'll be the case. 

Not impressed by this. Was milder in December for god's sake. 

Only upside is that it's drier than it was previously. Note - drier. Still wet, just not as wet. Small mercies.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, danm said:

Are they? I don’t know many people who look forward to Autumn as a season, except those who dislike warm weather.

I guess I am in a minority, though it doesn't mean that I want constant wind and rain.

In autumn I like daytime temps to be around the seasonal average but with sunshine and chilly nights and just the odd storm here and there. I like warm weather but I equally like the cosiness of autumn and cold clear days and snow in winter. 

It would be nice for once to have a year that is actually seasonal. Seasonal weather is hard to come by these days.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons

It’s just a never ending sh*t show of weather we’re getting. It’s 11.9c right now, very gusty with intermittent showers, it feels like a winters day outside right now, you’d never think the sun is as strong now as it is mid-August.

Where’s the Bartlett High when you need it?!

• Like 3

Posted

Well I've swung from being annoyed by cloud to thinking the last 4 days have been relatively decent here ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Warm in the sunshine, cold in the breeze. Needless to say I'm sick to the back teeth of autumnal conditions and hearing about snow potential and just want some reliable sun and warmth with no rain or wind to ruin it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Where are all of these showers coming from? None of this was forecast for my location... The weather is becoming completely unpredictable.

Edited by CryoraptorA303
  • Like 2

Posted

I suspect that we'll at least seem some warm settled days once the wind sods off. A lot of focus on how chilly the upper air temperatures are but at this time of year that's usually better for clear and settled weather. The sun is usually strong enough for some appreciable home grown warmth.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Weather Enthusiast91 Indeed, you'll find that a lot of people subconsciously or otherwise want seasonal consistency and find significant deviations jarring, regardless of their weather preferences.

• Like 1

No sign of anything above 15 degrees heading into May, utterly pathetic.

I hate this country, look at the continent and they are getting mid 20's now and this depressing little island is still struggling to put anything remotely mild on the table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, midlandsun said:

look at the continent and they are getting mid 20's now and this depressing little island is still struggling to put anything remotely mild on the table.

Landed in Zurich this afternoon. It’s chilly, breezy, about 11c currently. Tomorrow is showery with a high of 9c. It’s not just us Brits going through a cold snap. 

• Like 1

Posted

In fact, picking a bunch of Central European destinations and it looks worse than the UK:

IMG_2300.thumb.png.6b209f7cab236a90dd8c74a186bfaad2.png

IMG_2299.thumb.png.78a3dde7afe2749cc3a7e7841067286b.png

IMG_2298.thumb.png.6ce5090a25406333f21894abc058983f.png

….and then London:

IMG_2301.thumb.png.6653fc27c126e0f7987b3252e3b6f7a1.png

Posted
Just now, midlandsun said:

AHH okay thats a slight bit of comfort, I saw eastern Europe were recording high 20's the other day

They did, a warmer version of what we got in the SE over the weekend. But much colder now. 

• Insightful 1

Posted

In more positive news, as @WYorksWeather explained nicely yesterday, such late SSW conditions provide the potential for a much warmer and drier summer.

Personally I really wouldn't be surprised if we see a 2018 style turnaround from a nondescript spring to a legend of a summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Well surprisingly a bright and at times sunny day and no showers 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1