Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worryingly Wet & Worryingly Sunless

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Tipping it down yet again in west London. Think they’ll have to rename Heathrow, Swamprow

• Like 4

Posted

stainesbloke I wonder why we've got the accolade as the second most miserable nation on earth? At least Swamprow/Heathrow promises the opportunity to flee to sunnier climes!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

It really is getting hard to bare now isn't it. Even the warmer 'drier' days look windy and sunless. 17c in March should be something to look forward to but I can't see it feeling very springlike 😒 Late Feb/March is the time I need some sun the most - expectations aren't even that high, just some calm, bright weather to feel like the season is changing (tbf Saturday was kind of like that here). I think that's why it feels so much worse, especially when it's the second year in a row with these conditions. 

You know it's bad when even I'm having a right old moan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Kiwi Am not surprised by that. Crap weather, nothing works properly but mega expensive. Wonderful.
Can’t help but feel that a long, hot summer awaits with all this rain 

• Like 1

Posted
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A look at the stats showing that winter 2016-17 was dry and mild for the UK overall, though there were some regional differences for each month

We needed a winter like this after the summer we had last year

Edited by smistry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Down here it's not actually been too bad, basically about as average as you can get. There have been some poor days but I've  been lucky to be far enough south to be in the breaks which has made a difference.

Next week isn't looking as promising though reverting back to a very mild SW flow again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

kold weather There's definitely some regional variances. Although, the reality is, because of how relentlessly wet and dull it's been for so long, anything other than *above* average dryness and sunshine is just not going to cut it. 

An 'average' March comprising of the standard mixed-bag affair of rain, wind, cloud and sun would be OK if we had a decent winter prior to that. But we have not. 

That said, rainfall in my area is already above average for March and we aren't even halfway through the month.  

We desperately need a good week at least with zero rainfall whatsoever. And I don't just mean for our own sense of wellbeing and to enjoy usable weather. Our landscapes and agriculture is being really affected by this. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

This thread hasn't done much help down here ... Both still a massive issue!

Posted

sunny_vale Hugs sweety. My sad is still bad. I've endured this since last stained glass windowing March. I was okish over winter as its expected I clung on to March with all my hope as a change would come. But it looks like it never will now. I've truely lost all hope of ever seeing a cloudless sky again. Truely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

raz.org.rain Yes, that wouldn’t be very pleasant. Don’t mind brief periods of humidity if they lead to thunderstorms, but otherwise, drier air is preferable. 

Greyhound81 I love cold, sunny weather in winter. Much preferable to this mild, wet onslaught. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

I can only imagine the depression and frustration on here if we end up with an April 2012 and a summer 2012 🤣🤣 God almighty 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Daniel* It's actually the 10th month in a row, going back to June 2023.

June: 56.8mm

July: 61.4mm

August: 53.0mm

September: 59.4mm

October: 116.8mm

November: 78.4mm

December: 76.4mm

January: 50.6mm

February: 100.4mm

March: 52.6mm so far

How anyone can wish for continued exceptionally wet conditions rather than dry and sun in spring, I don't know!

Edited by B87
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

B87 Id give anything for those rainfall figures here… 😅

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Up to 54.4mm here now at an unofficial station, vs East Malling's monthly average of 43.5mm. I can't believe this is happening yet again. That's now November, December, January, February and March that saw their monthly averages matched or exceeded within the first half. The most sadistic thing about it for me is November and January were otherwise quite dry and would've been significantly drier than average were it not for extremely stormy conditions just clipping the first week or so of both months and driving the rainfall totals impossibly high to see a dry month even if the rest of it was really nothing to complain about.

It's really starting to take the jaffa cakes now. Over the course of this autumn- sorry, October-March period, East Malling has probably seen a total of 500mm or more, which is really not far off it's average annual maximum of 670mm. This must be its wettest six month period on record by now, I can't think of another time where it could've possibly seen close to a calendar year's worth of rainfall in just six months.

Thanks 2022, El Nino and June 2023 for completely microwaving the Atlantic over the past ~18 months, how will we ever repay you 🙄 I know many regard May-June 2023 as a needed stopgap but it was absolutely horiffically timed and without it Atlantic SSTs would've very likely been way down by winter and this wouldn't be continuing. September 2023 isn't blameless either, both the North Sea and the Atlantic reached very high temps as a result of that heatwave. Overall we have been victims of absolutely terrible timing over the last year or so. It would've been better to sacrifice June, get July 2023 out of the way and then have the Scandi high in August instead, that way yes the Atlantic does see some warming but it is past the peak average temps of the year anyway by then and it'll cool down a lot easier in autumn. Having the Atlantic get abnormally hot in June is, as we've all found out, a terrible idea.

Many are going to hate me for this but owing to the lack of it over winter, now we really need quite an unseasonably cold spell or at least a long period of northerlies to try and cool the Atlantic down, ideally later this month. That's going to be the only way to stop the cyclones coming at this point. Having no significantly below-average period and then attempting some sort of heat spike in April is a terrible idea and is just going to lead to the same problem again, a very warm Atlantic and the onslaught will continue after the heatwave runs its course, 2007 calls. Eventually we will need something big to happen, like an ENSO shift, which luckily for us is very likely coming. Some are pessimistic about a Nino-Nina flip but honestly, we need a big regime change to try and stop that intense cyclogenesis in the Atlantic, or at least block it from landing in the UK for a good long while. I will take my chances with a global regime flip at this point.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

stainesbloke Neither am I; people from eastern Europe reportedly complain about our public services, which tells you how shockingly bad they are for a supposedly "developed" nation. The weather really doesn't help sometimes but a lot of the UK doesn't see insanely lower sunshine hours etc. compared to Europe (obviously within sensible limits, Mallorca isn't exactly a fair comparison), just a bit lower. The current weather I feel would not be as bad as it is if everything else in this country wasn't also figuratively on fire right now (and will be for the foreseeable). It's the icing on the cake for me.

This country has become a miserable hole and will stay this way for a long time, if it ever finds a way out at all. I'm starting to seriously consider my options. Unfortunately I can't escape in the near future but that's not ever.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
20 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Many are going to hate me for this but owing to the lack of it over winter, now we really need quite an unseasonably cold spell or at least a long period of northerlies to try and cool the Atlantic down, ideally later this month.

No hate here. While it's not my favourite kind of spring weather, offer me a cold *but dry* period along the lines of April 2021 and I'd take it quite happily.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I do find it interesting on a personal level, and not to begrudge anyone at all, but the lack of sunshine and excess of rainfall, while it has been noticeable to me, it’s felt more of a “meh it’s been a bit grim” rather than utter despair. I find it interesting how the weather affects us differently. I also won’t hide the privilege of not being flooded and living in the city. But yeah, I haven’t found the past years weather particularly trying at all to be honest. The only points that got to me was the heightened feeling of darkness in December and how springlike February was. 

Posted

Any idea when there might actually be an even partly cloudy morning? Let alone a clear one! 

Feasibly it could be light enough by 06.30 to have no lights on indoors, but no chance with it being dull every morning! 

Would gladly swap 11c and gloom for 0c and frost/sunshine! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

The only points that got to me was the heightened feeling of darkness in December and how springlike February was.

For me it's just felt like one continuous, never ending late October-early November period. Nothing about February felt springlike barring one or two days, it was just a constant mild November with longer days. The early bloom feels more weird than an exceptionally early spring, I'd honestly say we're still in autumn 2023 and the flora is just confused because of the insanely long autumn. Until we see some actual sunlight and some warmish days it's not spring yet, just one hyperextended autumn.

Unfortunately this is going to become much more common and already is, with October-March being a single extended autumn period and very little real cold at all, before spring abruptly starts in late March/early April time.

• Like 1